What's new

Any Kurzweil Owners Out There? (1 Viewer)

RogerB

Second Unit
Just two years after letting me build my dream home theater, my wife let me buy a Kurzweil Mark 12i digital piano. We drove up to Chicago to pick it up this past weekend. It sounds awesome. It makes me sound better than I am.

I'm finding that a lot of the MIDI files on the Internet (the free ones) are either very poorly produced or don't work at all on the Mark 12i. Does anyone know of a good source for MIDI's. According to the Kurzweil web site, it sould be able to play the General Midi format, Yamaha PianoSoft and Disk Orchestra libraries, as well as the PianoDisc library.

Thanks!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Most MIDI files on the net are geared toward sound cards, though they use a General MIDI format. When you say they sound bad on the Kurzweil, do you mean that the wrong instruments play (e.g. flute instead of piano), or just that it doesn't sound good overall?

Does the piano have the 127 or so General MIDI instruments on board? Sometimes digital pianos (as opposed to keyboards/synthesizers/sound modules) are more limited in terms of sounds they can produce, maybe a dozen or so, in which case most General MIDI files won't sound right, unless you stick to piano pieces.

If you do some searching around you may be able to find a library of files made for your piano.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks