What's new

Any info on STAR! and RYANS DAUGHTER ? (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Nice to see another thread started on "Ryan's Daughter"; if only to show that there are continued interests.

"Star!" is, of course, another valued topic for the pursuit of 70mm fares put to Blu Ray and/or UHD.

"Star!" received 7 Oscar nominations.
Among those numbers included the cinematography of Ernest Laszlo. Mr. Laszlo's body of work included nominations for "Inherit the Wind", "Judgment at Nuremberg", "Logan's Run" and winning for "Ship of Fools". His other 3 nominations proved him to being no stranger to the 70mm format, which included "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", "Airport" and "Star!"; which is now the only remaining title from this lot that has yet to find its way to Blu Ray.

Another "Star!" nomination was for the Scoring of Lennie Hayton. No stranger to AMPAS, himself, as his 6 career nominations included "in the Rain" and 2 Oscars wins for his work on "Hello, Dolly!" and "On the Town". Now add to this a "Star!" nomination for the great Murray Spivak and his Sound and we might just be in for a treat concerning all matters in both the visual and the audible.

More Robert Wise, more Julie Andrews, more 70mm!
"Star!" most certainly has my vote.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In regards to the above post; which addresses Lennie Hayton and his 2 Oscar wins for scoring, along with his 6 career nominations; I had discovered a typo-o. The cited nomination written should have read as "Singin' in the Rain". Sorry Lennie.:wave-hello:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Yes, please! Both these films are large format and would look stunning on Blu! I believe they would have a large audience for both and get some commentary on these while the stars are still alive!

Reactions: PMF

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Ryan's Daughter would look fantastic on 4KUHD as i am sure the original 65mm neg is in excellent shape.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ryan's Daughter would look fantastic on 4KUHD as i am sure the original 65mm neg is in excellent shape.
Ryan would be reference demo nirvana, no doubt.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Couldn't imagine Kino doing justice to a 70mm source..

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Couldn't imagine Kino doing justice to a 70mm source..

Kino, Twilight Time, and all other licensees can only do the best they can with what the rights holder provides them to work with. I think Kino would be fully capable of producing an outstanding release from a 70mm source - but they have be given a master made from a 70mm source in the first place. It's not Kino's fault if the studio won't give them access to a master made from a large format element. And I'm not necessarily sure that a studio is in the wrong if they decide not to spend more than they could possibly recoup by making a new master from a 70mm source if the title is not heavily in demand and if there is not a viable path to recovering that investment. It's always a bummer when that happens to a film you love, but I don't think this is specifically a Kino problem.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Has Disney acquired Fox yet? If so, maybe they have put a stop to any restorations. Well at least Fox has given us most all their TODD-AO productions.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Shareholders for both companies have approved the deal. It must now pass through regulatory scrutiny and be approved by the U.S. government before it becomes official. Until then, by law, each company must continue business as usual and may not begin acting as though they are combining.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
TT says they have the release rights to STAR! , so I would think it would come from them or nobody.

Sadly, I fear it will be nobody. Given Disney’s very poor history of restorations/remasters of their catalogue titles (except the animated features), I think any Fox title that wasn’t already finished will not be done at all now. Saddest day for the Fox catalogue was its purchase by Disney. But they did marvelous work while it lasted. We’re blessed to have so many beautiful TT blus of Fox titles.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Maybe TWILIGHT TIME could pick up these two. They did a stellar job on DOCTOR DOLITTLE.

Fox paid for Dr. Dolittle being scanned in 8k and then put through a 4k workflow. TT gave us a very nice Blu-ray.

So this is not to take away from them releasing it for us but on their limited distribution model and with sales of catalog being low across the board a company like TT cannot possibly pay for this kind of work.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Well the 50th anniversary of STAR! is in October so wi'll see what happens

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
TT has already stated they have STAR!, but won't be releasing it until Fox supplies them with a new transfer.

Obviously they don't have Ryan's Daughter, being it's a Warner title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks