What's new

Any info on STAR! and RYANS DAUGHTER ? (1 Viewer)

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I’m getting a bit worried if these two films are going to make it to bluray this year. I asked Twilight Time about Star! and they had nothing to report. The 50th anniversary is in October. It seems we have be waiting quite a while for RYANS DAUGHTER. Anyone have any positive news?

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ryan turns 50 in November of 2020.

Not much public interest in purchasing old films in non-anniversary years.

Enormous confusion re the recent Sternberg release from Criterion, as many collectors have refused to view those productions with a release date not ending in an 8.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I believe STAR! was not a contender for TT as I too made an inquiry and received feedback a little over a year ago attesting to as much. Not sure who, if any of the third-party distributors, will acquire this deep catalog title any time in the near future. RE: Ryan's Daughter - waaaay back when HD DVD was in competition with Blu-ray in the then 'new' format war, Ryan's Daughter was announced for a release along with Grand Prix and Mutiny on the Bounty. Although these latter two titles did eventually find their way to that now defunct format, and, with the advent of Blu-ray, made the leap to Blu - Ryan's Daughter never materialized on any format other than a deluxe 2-disc DVD.

It's definitely second-tier David Lean, which means its about 1st tier everybody else. Personally, I have always loved the movie. Great visuals, superb storm sequence and a truly harrowing emasculation of our heroine. Ryan's Daughter's absence on Blu leaves it the only Lean epic MIA from his North American tenure. We are also still waiting for Blu's of Lean's Summertime - the last of his intercontinental 'little gem' period, with Kate the great Hepburn in a truly memorable role. For those interested, Amazon Japan has a bootleg of Summertime currently available with above average (though hardly perfect) image quality.

There is also a legitimately authored region free release of Lean's Great Expectations from the U.K. What I wouldn't give for Criterion to do another Lean box set from his British period, to include Oliver Twist, Hobson's Choice, Madeleine, The Sound Barrier, and, The Passionate Friends. Lean only made 13 movies in his entire career. Isn't it about time they were all made available to us on home video. PS - for those wondering, the Lean directs Noel Coward box set from Criterion is an absolute 'must have'.

Bottom line: I adore both STAR! (which I consider a grotesquely underrated musical) and Ryan's Daughter (that most certainly did NOT deserve all the vitriol heaped upon it by the New York critics back in 1970). Will we see either of these on Blu any time soon? Hmmmm.

Reactions: PMF

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I thought we would never see DOCTOR DOLITTLE. Fox does love taking care of their TODD-AO product.

Last edited:

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
I believe STAR! was not a contender for TT as I too made an inquiry and received feedback a little over a year ago attesting to as much. Not sure who, if any of the third-party distributors, will acquire this deep catalog title any time in the near future. RE: Ryan's Daughter - waaaay back when HD DVD was in competition with Blu-ray in the then 'new' format war, Ryan's Daughter was announced for a release along with Grand Prix and Mutiny on the Bounty. Although these latter two titles did eventually find their way to that now defunct format, and, with the advent of Blu-ray, made the leap to Blu - Ryan's Daughter never materialized on any format other than a deluxe 2-disc DVD.

It's definitely second-tier David Lean, which means its about 1st tier everybody else. Personally, I have always loved the movie. Great visuals, superb storm sequence and a truly harrowing emasculation of our heroine. Ryan's Daughter's absence on Blu leaves it the only Lean epic MIA from his North American tenure. We are also still waiting for Blu's of Lean's Summertime - the last of his intercontinental 'little gem' period, with Kate the great Hepburn in a truly memorable role. For those interested, Amazon Japan has a bootleg of Summertime currently available with above average (though hardly perfect) image quality.

There is also a legitimately authored region free release of Lean's Great Expectations from the U.K. What I wouldn't give for Criterion to do another Lean box set from his British period, to include Oliver Twist, Hobson's Choice, Madeleine, The Sound Barrier, and, The Passionate Friends. Lean only made 13 movies in his entire career. Isn't it about time they were all made available to us on home video. PS - for those wondering, the Lean directs Noel Coward box set from Criterion is an absolute 'must have'.

Bottom line: I adore both STAR! (which I consider a grotesquely underrated musical) and Ryan's Daughter (that most certainly did NOT deserve all the vitriol heaped upon it by the New York critics back in 1970). Will we see either of these on Blu any time soon? Hmmmm.

We have said repeatedly that TT has this title under license, but that we won't release it until a new transfer is done - and as of this moment, that hasn't happened. That is why we have nothing to report.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, after Criterion's smashing box set of Dietrich/Von Sternberg films, a David Lean set would be most welcome. I recently got the UK version of Great Expectations on Blu, and I am thrilled to have it, but a box with all of the British Lean films that Criterion has issued on DVD over the years would be so welcome.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Great visuals, superb storm sequence and a truly harrowing emasculation of our heroine. Ryan's Daughter's...

This mostly happens off-screen with the camera focused on the reactions of Ryan himself. Nevertheless, I’d assumed the savage public humiliation of his “Daughter” involved the rending of garments and cropping of hair. You seem to suggest that perhaps other valuables were also rent asunder... unless “emasculation” has a different meaning in your part of the world.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
This mostly happens off-screen with the camera focused on the reactions of Ryan himself. Nevertheless, I’d assumed the savage public humiliation of his “Daughter” involved the rending of garments and cropping of hair. You seem to suggest that perhaps other valuables were also rent asunder... unless “emasculation” has a different meaning in your part of the world.

Websters Dictionary Definition

e·mas·cu·late
ēˈmaskyəˌlāt/
verb
  1. make (a person, idea, or piece of legislation) weaker or less effective.
    "our winner-take-all elections emasculate fringe parties

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
For those interested, Amazon Japan has a bootleg of Summertime...

Tongue-in-cheek ribbing aside, and without wishing to emasculate your point, I would like to query your claim about the Japanese BD of Summertime being a bootleg.

I own a copy of the Japanese BD of Summertime. It’s been sitting shrink-wrapped in my David Lean collection for some time. Your post prompted me to open it today as I had bought it in good faith that it’s the genuine article.

It’s a polished package and sports the official Paramount logo on back-cover, disc-imprint and shrink-wrap sticker. It also carries a copyright notice.

What makes you suppose it’s a bootleg?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Tongue-in-cheek ribbing aside, and without wishing to emasculate your point, I would like to query your claim about the Japanese BD of Summertime being a bootleg.

I own a copy of the Japanese BD of Summertime. It’s been sitting shrink-wrapped in my David Lean collection for some time. Your post prompted me to open it today as I had bought it in good faith that it’s the genuine article.

It’s a polished package and sports the official Paramount logo on back-cover, disc-imprint and shrink-wrap sticker. It also carries a copyright notice.

What makes you suppose it’s a bootleg?

A few years ago when Summertime became available ONLY in Japan, seemingly from Paramount, I contacted Paramount in the U.S. with a query about them bringing this deep catalog title also to Blu-ray here in North America, or re-licensing it through Criterion, which they had done for the DVD release. I was informed at the time that no one at Paramount knew of a licensing deal with ANY third-party distributor in Japan or Europe and was instructed that if anyone was advertising the product as such I may consider it illegitimate. The quality on this disc is actually quite good - for a bootleg. But it's not perfect. Nor, if I am to believe Paramount customer service here, is it an authorized copy put out by them. Just because the back jacket and disc have a Paramount mountain stamped on them doesn't mean it came from that studio!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
A few years ago when Summertime became available ONLY in Japan, seemingly from Paramount, I contacted Paramount in the U.S. with a query about them bringing this deep catalog title also to Blu-ray here in North America, or re-licensing it through Criterion, which they had done for the DVD release. I was informed at the time that no one at Paramount knew of a licensing deal with ANY third-party distributor in Japan or Europe and was instructed that if anyone was advertising the product as such I may consider it illegitimate. The quality on this disc is actually quite good - for a bootleg. But it's not perfect. Nor, if I am to believe Paramount customer service here, is it an authorized copy put out by them. Just because the back jacket and disc have a Paramount mountain stamped on them doesn't mean it came from that studio!

Appreciated the info - thanks.

I purchased this in October last year, so it’s well past the window for returns. I’m inclined to set up a dispute for a refund from Amazon Japan, but to do so with confidence, do you recall from how high up the food chain was Paramount’s advice to you?

If it was via email, then that would be strong evidence; however, if it was via verbal advice of frontline customer service reps, then I wouldn’t feel I’m on safe enough ground arguing the case with Amazon Japan.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]For those interested, Amazon Japan has a bootleg of Summertime currently available with above average (though hardly perfect) image quality.
PLEASE, Nick*Z, make no allowances nor promotions towards bootleg discs.
[...] What I wouldn't give for Criterion to do another Lean box set from his British period, to include Oliver Twist, Hobson's Choice, Madeleine, The Sound Barrier, and, The Passionate Friends.
With this, I am in full agreement and support.
[...]Lean only made 13 movies in his entire career. [...]
Actually, Sir David Lean made 16 films.
Seventeen, if one were to include his short 40 minute television film from 1979 entitled "Lost and Found: The Story of Cook's Island"

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yes, after Criterion's smashing box set of Dietrich/Von Sternberg films, a David Lean set would be most welcome. I recently got the UK version of Great Expectations on Blu, and I am thrilled to have it, but a box with all of the British Lean films that Criterion has issued on DVD over the years would be so welcome.
And being that Criterion was able to capture 28-29 new-to-BD Bergman titles for their upcoming 39 film boxed-set, then what's a mere 8 more where David Lean is concerned?*

*Minus the already available "The Bridge on the River Kwai", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Doctor Zhivago", "Passage to India";
and, of course, Criterion's "David Lean directs Noel Coward" set of four.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
We have said repeatedly that TT has this title under license, but that we won't release it until a new transfer is done - and as of this moment, that hasn't happened. That is why we have nothing to report.
From Nicholas the Tsar to Noel and his Star, Twilight Time is where all wishes are made.:)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
or maybe there's something we don't know about Rosy!!! :lol:
Truly, my best jokes and responses have never been seen on this site for sake of good taste.
But, Will, the one I've got right now even has me laughing out loud.

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK

Seventeen, if one were to include his short 40 minute television film from 1979 entitled "Lost and Found: The Story of Cook's Island"

I stand corrected on the count. But I make 'no allowances' nor 'promotions' of bootlegs. I merely commented on the actual quality of this one. That wasn't an encouragement, endorsement or otherwise 'green light' on my part for everyone to buy it!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The version that I have is Story of an Anchor

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks