What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Any chance of a WS version of "The Shadow"? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Has their been any talk about a possible re-release of the movie "The Shadow" that will be WS?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
No, sadly, none that I've heard about. Maybe for HD-DVD (It was a Uni release, wasn't it?)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
WS? Widescreen? If it is it's not too hard to spell it out is it? Or are we heading for the time when entire posts are in shorthand and every word initialised. I had to ask because I can't believe The Shadow isn't out in widescreen on region 1, it's anamorphic 1.85 on region 2 and presumably other regions, 5.1 stereo too, sadly no extras. I'd buy a special edition of The Shadow in a heartbeat, an underrated 1990's gem.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I've stated this numerous times in various threads that I'd love a full blown Special Edition release of The Shadow. And I also agree with Steves sentiments towards the film of course. Must be my affinity for pulp heroes kicking and taking names. I own several of DC Comics various The Shadow mini-series from the mid-1980's and early-1990's. I first saw this in a drive-in and it was very misty and eerie out. Gave it a much more "noirish" edge and atmosphere for the film which was very welcome.
For the Special Edition:
Anamorphic, high definition transfer for starters. 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratio, from radio to comic and pulp to film, a history of the various incarnations of The Shadow throughout the decades, Director Russell Mulcahy commentary, Alec Baldwin commentary, isolated score and alot of other features which would give this film it's much needed DVD "update".
Here's some artwork which in my humble opinion would be quite suitable for the front cover for the eventual Special Edition. Something very classy in the same vein as The Frighteners: Director's Fun Cut.;)

I figure movie promotional stuff would would well or just the teaser poster...

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I'd just be happy with the WS version of the movie with no extras. I've been living with a taped copy of the movie off of NBC for far too long....

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
My widescreen laserdisc will have to continue to do service for a while it seems.

It's a shame that it seems like only 12 people in the world even care about this movie.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
not true, you can add one more to that number, i love the art work posted above as well, and while as enjoyable as this film is, for those interested in the character , if you haven't yet carry you rear someplace and read the limited series by Chalking that came out in the mid 80's, great contemporary take on the charter, always thought that if Al Baldwin was to do a follow up that would make a great start, everyone in the organization older, except him, wont spoil it for those who have not read it , but honestly that story rocked.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Well, my signature has always listed a widescreen The Shadow as one of my holy grails. I am also a fan of the original radio series, having collected most of those episodes on CD and cassette. So sign me up for a new DVD edition in its correct aspect ratio upon its release.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I would also love to see this released!

I remember watching it countless times on Pay Per View at my grandparents apartment in the early 90s back in the days of the 'black box'.

I haven't seen it since, but would love to pick it up on DVD... that's not going to happen in p&s though!

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
i would love to see a widescreen Shadow. I saw this movie in the theaters and watched it countless times on TV. I want a sequel. I mean Alec's career isn't really going anywhere these days (but that is a topic for the Movies forum).

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
:emoji_thumbsup: for a new OAR release of The Shadow. It doesn't even have to be full blown SE. Just the film in all it's glory, in DTS. I'd be happy.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
It's a 1.85:1 film. There's a lot of cropping in the pan and scan version.

Why Universal never put out a proper WS release is beyond me. They even put out a DTS version. Full bitrate DTS but not WS. Go figure.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
THE SHADOW was one of Uni's first DVD releases, and it was really only to test the waters before they committed to the format fully. All of their transfers from their first smattering of DVD's are pan and scan, including a couple of 2:35:1 films. I guess THE SHADOW isn't deemed a popular enough title by Universal to get a remastered edition.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
If anyone from Universal is reading, we'd like serviceable DVDs for 'The Shadow' and 'The Paper'.

Both from 1994.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I have the entire set of DTS LD's and The Shadow is probably the one I play the most. Awesome DTS surround on that disc and the proper aspect ratio, although analog and non anamorphic :thumbsdown: It's Universal though, so I would not hold my breath for a WS DVD. Bad decision to release this in P & S only. Missed out on a lot of sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks