What's new

Any 16mm experts out there? Need help! (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
So here's my situation - I work in a stock footage archive for a major cable network, and the way we operate is that most of the footage in our library is either on 3/4", 1", betacam or digibeta. We recently came across a number of boxes each containing 20 or so 16mm negatives on cores. We know what this footage was used for, however we have no clue what is on each reel as we don't have any sort of logs. We've never had this type of problem before because the only big project we've dealt with on film was 35mm newsreels which we jumped at the opportunity to transfer into hi-def and found every foot of footage to be incredibly valuable (feel free to check out http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/home/mot.do if you're bored).

So my question is, can anyone suggest the most efficient and affordable way to scan through these? The two most reasonable options seem to involve buying a pair of split reels and picking up either a tabletop viewer or a projector and going through each one. I'm a bit worried that since I'd have to pick up a used machine/viewer on eBay or a message board classified, there's a chance they might not be in good shape, and I don't want to risk scratching frames or possibly damaging sprockets. The films are in great shape, so if we find that most of the content looks like it's worth upgrading, I suppose we might either look into getting a telecine or shipping off to a transfer house. But since there seem to be hundreds of reels, that will be quite costly if we wind up not finding any of the footage useful.

Any suggestions? Know of someone specific to contact or perhaps another forum to check out? Much thanks-

MF

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Well, most people find viewing negatives to be very difficult; especially if it's color negative.

A big question is, first of all, when you open a box, what do you smell?

And how much is it? If you're looking at 2,000 feet of film at $0.14/foot, which is the first quote I found on the net, you're only looking at $280 + media costs on a Rank. (A 100' load of 16mm, on a standard core, is a disk about 3.5" - 4" diameter.)

Something else to consider though: sound? Sound on film, sound on mag film, or sound as a separate optical negative? Or easier, no sound?

Good luck..

Leo

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Thanks Leo, I'll have to have someone check the smell as I actually have no sense of smell, but there shouldn't be any vinegar, these have been pretty well stored and they're not that old. Each reel is no more than 200, 400' max, but we're talking about at least 100 reels, possibly upwards of 250.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
yeah, then you start talkin' cash. Missed that multiple "boxes" in the first.

You're still going to have a major potential issue if they're color negative: most people find it really hard to work that way.

Rewinds and a Moviscope are generally a good way to go. And if you're worried about damaging the film, try out some scrap film - even if it's just some leader from who-knows-where. Most of that stuff was pretty gentle, particularly if you're gentle to it. Good "rewinds" are valuable tools here, 'cause you drive the transport, not a machine.

Side possibility: check with a local film school; see if you can borrow some time on their rewinds and viewers, or possibly even a Steenbeck table.

If there are still film schools...

Leo

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Sounds good, I'll probably pick up a viewer and some rewinds on eBay, seemed like the easiest and most reasonable way to go about this, for now. I'm in Manhattan, so no shortage of film schools, I'll try asking around. Thanks again-

MF

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
yeah, it wasn't until later that I started thinking, "film school! I wonder where he is.." then spotted your New York, NY location tag.

Good luck; let us (or me) know how things turn out..

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks