What's new

Another Newbie! (1 Viewer)

Old Dog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martyn
Just a brief mesage to say Hi really.
My username sums me up in a few respects - one of which is perhaps "can't teach an old dog new tricks" :) I tend to go with what I know rather than be a trail blazer these days.
I am a long time audio fan, but have only been "into" home theater from around 6 years ago when my old Panasonic CRT gave up the ghost and I was forced top buy one of these "new" flat screens. The first thing I noticed was how poor the sound was compared to the old CRT. Having said that, the old CRT did have a surround sound system (5.1), though being a complete package from Panasonic, it was nothing compared to the sort of kit most people with more than a passing interest in home theater seem to have. It did however serve it's purpose, but changing to a flat screen has not been the end. There have already been a few changes to equipment, and room, to improve both the audio and visual enjoyment. Still things I am sure I can do, but not in a rush. Steady as she goes! :)
It will be interesting to hear (read) other peoples views and experiences. I am sure (hope) I will pick up some helpful info / tips along the way.
For the record, I live in a pretty (very) poor area with regards to bb. only around 6mb/s would you believe!? Hence, viewing is via aerial or bluray/UHD discs.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just a brief mesage to say Hi really.
My username sums me up in a few respects - one of which is perhaps "can't teach an old dog new tricks" :) I tend to go with what I know rather than be a trail blazer these days.
I am a long time audio fan, but have only been "into" home theater from around 6 years ago when my old Panasonic CRT gave up the ghost and I was forced top buy one of these "new" flat screens. The first thing I noticed was how poor the sound was compared to the old CRT. Having said that, the old CRT did have a surround sound system (5.1), though being a complete package from Panasonic, it was nothing compared to the sort of kit most people with more than a passing interest in home theater seem to have. It did however serve it's purpose, but changing to a flat screen has not been the end. There have already been a few changes to equipment, and room, to improve both the audio and visual enjoyment. Still things I am sure I can do, but not in a rush. Steady as she goes! :)
It will be interesting to hear (read) other peoples views and experiences. I am sure (hope) I will pick up some helpful info / tips along the way.
For the record, I live in a pretty (very) poor area with regards to bb. only around 6mb/s would you believe!? Hence, viewing is via aerial or bluray/UHD discs.

Welcome, fellow geezer! :wave-hello:You are among friends here. I also do not have cable or satellite or an internet connection to my t.v. I strictly play movies. Saves lots of money. Don't be intimidated by those here who have magnificent home theaters or audio set-ups. When you come right down to it, we're a bunch of serious film geeks and aficionados with even a few Hollywood insiders mixed in. I've been on the forum twenty-two years, and rarely have I seen disrespect toward anyone (if there is any, the mods are good at catching it).

Old Dog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martyn
Hi Dick, thanks for your message. Nice to know! That's pretty much where I am at too, just regular tv and movies. Fortunately I discovered my tv allows me to plug in a hard drive and use it as a recorder, it has has enabled me to build up a cheap library :) I did post my first comment after reading "beginners, general questions", one of Todds posts. My comments are documented, so won't repeat here. Got to get to grips with how this forum works and find my way about. Hope to pick up useful tips and get to know some nice, like minded guys (and girls even - I don't suppose it is solely males intrested in this). Everything I have is modest really, that includes the house / theatre room (it's just the lounge!). Only trying to make the most of what I have available and if I feel I have anything to offer, may be rather limited compared to most here though, I will certainly chip in my two penneth :)

Old Dog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martyn
I have been mulling over whether my particular HT journey may be of interest to anyone and concluded, probably. Maybe less so to people who have been involved in / with Home Theatre for considerably longer than I, but quite possibly more so to someone starting out as I did around 6 years ago. I am coming from a point of not really knowing that much about HT, except for transferable experiences gained from having a HiFi system for rather more years than I really care to admit. So, I am not, nor claiming to be an expert, just sharing the route my system took and which may, hopefully in the process, be of interest and possibly a help to others.

Rather than describe a step by step process giving details why I did certain things (happy to answer questions if you have any), I have decided just list my system make up at various stages (bold indicates an item change).

So, starting at the beginning, my initial home theatre (using the HT term loosely here!), until it failed some 6 years ago:

Panasonic TX28 DK2 (28inch crt tv, built in 5.1 amplifier and associated speakers).

As odd as it may sound, in 14 years I never had the desire to go beyond this visual / audio experience. I was quite content with what that tv system did.

Enter a Panasonic TX40CS520 LED. Great picture, poor sound. Separate audio required. And so, the journey began:

Panasonic TX40CS520, Marantz NR1504 receiver, original Panasonic centre, sub and rear surround speakers, existing Tannoy Mercury MX2 or Wharfedale D220 stand mounts for mains.

Panasonic TX40CS520, Marantz NR1504, Magnat Needle Alu Super Centre, original Panasonic rears, existing Tannoy Mercury MX2, Panasonic BDT180 bluray player.

Panasonic TX40CS520, Marantz NR1504, Klipsch RP440C centre, original Panasonic rears, existing Tannoy Mercury MX2, Panasonic BDT180 bluray player.

Panasonic TX40CS520, Marantz NR1504, Klipsch RP440C, original Panasonic rears, existing Yamaha NS1000Ms for mains, Panasonic BDT180 bluray player.

At this point, the room layout was changed, the Yamaha’s were really too large for the existing tv location.

Panasonic TX40CS520, Marantz NR1504, Klipsch RP440C, original Panasonic rears, Yamaha NS1000M, Panasonic BDT180 bluray player, existing Meridian 205 monoblocks to power the NS1000Ms.

Panasonic TX55FZ802 OLED, Marantz NR1504, Klipsch RP440C, original Panasonic rears, Yamaha NS1000m, Panasonic DP UB820 bluray player, Meridian 205 monoblocks to power the NS1000Ms.

Panasonic TX55FZ802, Denon AVR X3500H, Klipsch RP440C, original Panasonic rears, Yamaha NS1000M, Panasonic DP UB820 bluray player,

Panasonic TX55FZ802, Denon AVR X3500H, Klipsch RP440C, used B&W VM1 rears, Yamaha NS1000M, Panasonic DP UB820 bluray player.

Panasonic TX55FZ802, Denon AVR X3500H, Klipsch RP440C, used B&W VM1 rears, Yamaha NS1000M, Panasonic DP UB9000 bluray player, existing Meridian 205 monoblocks to power the NS1000Ms.

Panasonic TX55FZ802, Denon AVR X3500H, Klipsch RP440C, used B&W VM1 rears, Yamaha NS1000M, Panasonic DP UB820 bluray player, used Parasound HCA1500a to power the NS1000Ms.

Panasonic TX55FZ802, Denon AVR X3500H, used Yamaha NS-C901 centre, used B&W VM1 rears, Yamaha NS1000M, Panasonic DP UB820 bluray player, used Parasound HCA1500a to power the NS1000Ms.

Panasonic TX55FZ802, Denon AVR X3500H, used Yamaha NS-C901 centre, used B&W VM1 rears, Yamaha NS1000M, Panasonic DP UB9000 bluray player, used Parasound HCA1500a in bridged mode to power Yamaha NS-C901 centre, existing Quad QMP mono blocks to power the NS1000Ms.

In the “ideal world”, it would probably be a case of going along to the local dealer with a pocket full of cash, listen to various pieces of kit, and come away with a wonderful system to install, or have it installed at home. But, I guess, like me, it simply isn’t like that for the majority of folk in the real world. I’d also say, “where is the fun in that anyway?” 😊 My journey has already come quite a long way in these 6 years. I had no idea where it would end up when I started and I certainly didn’t expect to be here! If I did, I could have installed a lot of the equipment I already owned far earlier.

The journey has been a progression and the steps taken because they have given me something more than I had before. I have been fortunate to have had a number of items from my years in HiFi, allowing me to experiment. This also includes switching cables (interconnect and speaker cables), not previously mentioned and, for the record, I do believe these cables can make a difference. I haven’t used HDMI cables before, but I will say, unlike the other cables, I haven’t noticed a difference with various HDMI’s used in this process.

A sub is not mentioned, because I don’t feel I really need one. That’s largely because the NS1000Ms have 12inch woofers and my room is not particularly large. Am I missing out on something here? Maybe. Does it concern me? No.

What my particular HT journey tells me is that some things are more important than others – I can’t believe, for example, how long the original Panasonic rears remained in use. Without doubt it is important to get a good centre. Receivers can have their limitations, especially when it comes to power. Having a balanced sound from all speakers is vital. As you change things, so the balance changes too. Some things work well together, some less well. It’s not necessarily about cost.

My system may be a bit “mix and match” and it’s not even 5.1. Certainly not one for purists! It is neither eye wateringly expensive, nor bargain basement category. The main thing is, it works for me and I am (presently!) rather pleased with and enjoy what I have. Will it change in future? Almost certainly.

I am already looking to find alternative amplification that will sound as good, or better, that the QMPs, only because I want (need) something that will sit on the av stand rather than the floor. Thereafter, who knows?

In the meantime, I plan to buy a few more discs, sit back and enjoy the experience my system offers, and try not to trip over or break my toe(s) on the QMPs! 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks