What's new

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It's happening! Still no iTunes support tho.
YdNX20l.jpg
Movies Anywhere has had 4K and HDR for some time now. Are you saying Dolby Vision is new?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So VUDU has the UHD versions of Greatest Showman and Shape Of Water on sale for $7.99. These only redeemed in HD when the digital code from the 4K was used.

Does anyone know if purchased will they port over to iTunes in 4K?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So VUDU has the UHD versions of Greatest Showman and Shape Of Water on sale for $7.99. These only redeemed in HD when the digital code from the 4K was used.

Does anyone know if purchased will they port over to iTunes in 4K?
@Tino ,

I bought both 4K/UHD versions on iTunes and only Shape of Water showed up on Vudu in 4K/UHD. This crap is one of the major issues I have with the digital/MA system. Quite frankly, this is BS! The industry needs to correct these type of situations.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
@Tino ,

I bought both 4K/UHD versions on iTunes and only Shape of Water showed up on Vudu in 4K/UHD. This crap is one of the major issues I have with the digital/MA system. Quite frankly, this is BS! The industry needs to correct these type of situations.
I dug a little more into this issue and I actually played the both movie streams on Vudu with Roku 4, then again on the Vudu app on iTunes, and finally on iTunes itself with ATV4K. The Shape of Water would play 4K/HDR on all three. However, The Greatest Showman would not play in 4K/HDR on Vudu and only in 4K without HDR on the Vudu app on iTunes. Yet, would play in 4K/HDR on iTunes itself.

Again, this is total BS and one of the major faults with MA and the digital system.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I’m very new to the digital code downloads world. I’ve not signed up for Movies Anywhere or Ultraviolet. I have downloaded a few movies from iTunes via the codes from Paramount. So my experience is limited. I’ve bought three films from iTunes and two were the only ways to get the films in HD. So I’m not totally new to this.

I’ve done some reading and had some discussion on Movies Anywhere on another thread. So I think I understand what Movies Anywhere is and what it does. In looking at my collection of blu rays with digital codes, I see that quite a few of the older ones are Ultraviolet. I’ve just learned that Ultraviolet is now shut down. Have I totally lost the opportunity to redeem the Ultraviolet codes? Or does Movies Anywhere accept the codes?

I’m considering setting up Movies Anywhere to try it out. Plus it would let me redeem a lot of codes I have. I’ve not fully bought into these services, I see some frustrations from members in this thread.

Thanks for any insights!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ultraviolet is shut down, but Vudu was a UV partner for the longest times.

Here’s what you should do:
1) Create a free Vudu account
2) Create a free Movies Anywhere account (if you haven’t already) and link it to your Vudu and iTunes accounts.
3) Redeem Ultraviolet codes at Vudu - most should still work
4) With your accounts linked, you’ll find that many of the UV codes are for movies which are also on MA. MA will adopt those titles and add them to your MA library, which will then transfer copies to your iTunes library as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Josh,

Thanks a lot for the work around to redeem UV codes.

This sort of blows my mind. One could stream movies on the Vudu platform with the Vudu app on a smart TV or Apple TV and also stream the same movies on the iTunes platform on an Apple TV or Apple mobile devices as they are linked via Movies Anywhere.

I’ll look into that more.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Hi Josh,

Thanks a lot for the work around to redeem UV codes.

This sort of blows my mind. One could stream movies on the Vudu platform with the Vudu app on a smart TV or Apple TV and also stream the same movies on the iTunes platform on an Apple TV or Apple mobile devices as they are linked via Movies Anywhere.

I’ll look into that more.

If for some reason a UV code doesn't work at Vudu, try the other linked services (including MA directly). When I was getting started at the end of 2017, I didn't have any problem redeeming most UV codes in MA, probably because MA hadn't been around long enough at that point to have exclusive codes.

And don't forget the most important detail about Movies Anywhere -- Paramount is not a member. So if you have a preferred platform for watching movies, redeem the Paramount movies there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Chip, I am aware not all the studios are on board MA. I appreciate the tip to try the UV codes on MA. I may try that first. :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Fun fact: I bought Endgame on BR, and when I redeemed the code at MA, it gave my Atmos.

The physical BR disc is only DTS-MA, and I think the press release said that only the 4K would have Atmos so this was a pleasant surprise.
Redemption codes have no connection to audio specs. Atmos inclusion is completely at the discretion of the digital provider. iTunes will give you Atmos on every title that has it regardless of which resolution you own. Vudu will not. If you check out your copy of Endgame at Vudu you will see it is only Dolby Digital + 5.1.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Not sure what's going on with Vudu but a bunch, maybe all of the Sony titles in my account that were part of that Sony changeover to only MA a few months back say I own the UHD version but only play back in HDX.

Same with Rambo 3 but that one you can select UHD but then it stops playing.

Maybe they're in the process of uploading the UHD versions to their servers?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks