1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Announcing the launch of MOVIES ANYWHERE

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's one of those Fox titles that doesn't have a 4K code which means it won't redeem to 4K on any service. You can buy it directly from Vudu or iTunes, but it will only show as 4K on the service you purchased it from. It's one of the flaws in the system that I've been exasperated by when redeeming these digital codes. The industry needs to fix this crap!

2. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Did you redeem on Movies Anywhere, and if so, what resolution did it show redeemed as? If you redeemed on MA and it showed redeemed as 4K, then MA customer service can usually help you. If you redeemed on MA and can't remember what it redeemed as, you can check your transaction history and it will tell you.

3. Message #1563 of 1680 Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Really? That's ridiculous. I'm worn out with Movies Anywhere and I just started a month ago. It gives me no confidence that this service will last. I suspect there will be yet another "end all, be all" digital service the studios will trot out later to replace this one - (which in a way replaced Ultraviolet).
    • Certain studios don't participate
    • Maybe a studio participates but perhaps your 4K disc code won't redeem to 4k streaming on any service. But you might be able to buy it as a digital stream in 4k instead of the code that came with the 4k disc you just bought, so do a ton of homework before you buy anything or you might get burned - don't say we didn't warn you.
    • TV Shows don't work - except on Vudu. TV shows aren't "movies" - just really popular - but they aren't allowed to fraternize in your collection with the distinguished movies.
    • Certain Movies - branded and sold as a movie - don't work on Movies Anywhere. Because they premiered on a TV network and not in a theater so therefore are banished to the Phantom Zone with the other step-children "TV shows". Even though they are sold as a movie along with other "movies" from the same studio whose moves are available on Movies Anywhere.
    • Digital movies you purchase from independent studios, Vimeo or other digital retailers won't work. Their movies aren't cool enough to hang with your "Real movies" from the "real" studios.
    Yes, redeemed on MA. The resolution it showed redeemed is HD. I mentioned in my previous post, that viewing my film's listing on VUDU, it says I own HDX which I don't believe is the same as UHD. But on the same screen as it says I own HDX, it lists UHD features including 4K and HDR. See my picture below.

IMG_1604.JPG

4. Message #1564 of 1680 Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Certainly all valid points. The way I look at it is - I'm not paying a cent to use it, and it does benefit me far more than not using it at all...

5. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    All you own digitally at this point is HD. That's how Vudu displays their information. The top line tells you what you actually own and the information below is what is available. Other members have gotten their redemptions corrected to 4K by contacting someone. Perhaps they can tell you what you need to do.

Todd Erwin likes this.
  6. David Deeb

David
    Thanks. I did contact Movies Anywhere via chat. They said if I believed I received the wrong resolution, then I need to contact Fox. They gave me Fox's phone number, and said that's all they can do.

Since that office is closed right now, I'll call again tomorrow during business hours and see what happens.

7. Message #1567 of 1680 Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    David Deeb

David
    You're right again! I contacted Fox today. The rep pretty much said the same thing. The rep also mentioned it's indicated on the packaging. She is correct. It's on the packaging. In type so small, I had to call Superman to read it.

On the back of the 4K Ultra HD package: after it proudly describes Movies Anywhere, after it talks about "digital included", mentions the date when the digital code expires, that the package includes "4K ULTRA HD DISC, BLU-RAY DISC AND DIGITAL" and more digital marketing taglines - it does include in extremely tiny print (smaller than anything else on the package) "digital version of the film may not be available in 4k Ultra HD". It doesn't say it isn't. It only says it "may not be".

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, Fox has done that with more than a few of their 4K titles.

David Deeb likes this.
  9. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I have bemoaned, on occasion, the lack of a proper digital locker service in Canada. Then I received this email: So, it appears that GooglePlay will become the de facto digital locker in Canada, as most labels support it, and those who don't, support iTunes.

10. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

So any word on if Movies unlimited will be getting any support from other studios. Doesn't seem like much progress has been made after a successful initial launch.

11. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Man I want something called Movies Unlimited ;)

To put it simply, no word yet on anybody else...

12. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Isn't that what all streaming promises. A promise that can never be fulfilled.

Jesse Skeen likes this.
  13. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

In what way does it promise that?

14. holtge

holtge Screenwriter

Gordon Holt
    Wish they would adopt the Avengers philosophy: "Whatever it takes."

15. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

That streaming services will eventually offer all movies ever made all the time something I see people mention from time to time. Just a pipe dream.

16. Message #1576 of 1680 Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    I've never seen that comment made by any current streaming service.

17. Message #1577 of 1680 Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

I have never been led to believe that was ever some kind of ultimate goal.

Having said that, with the trend of studios offering their own services like Disney+, it does seem to be that studios are seeing a cost advantage to just putting their catalogs out for a monthly fee rather than making money selling or licensing titles individually.

18. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I said people not streaming services. See Disney + thread.

19. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

That is an example of what I said of people assuming everything will be available. Disney never claimed they are making their whole catalog available at all times just that they will have access to all of it most likely for monthly rotations like Netflix, amazon, hulu. They already confirmed they are launching with 500 movies which is a small fraction of all the total movies Disney owns between their own name, Pixar, marvel, star wars, touchstone, Hollywood pictures, etc. They will add and subtract titles monthly which is the norm for streaming services.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Man, people can say anything that doesn’t make it true or a reality.

Jason_V likes this.