What's new

Analog VS digital audio? (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I currently have an sound card with only analog outputs, I will get a mobo with optical/coaxial outputs soon.

Will the difference in sound quality be big?

Thanks

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I think the only sound difference is that you will be able to output Dolby Digital/DTS signals with it, provided you have the right software. I have a SB Audigy and have had regular analog cards in the past and the sound quality while listening to stereo sources sounded the same to me. Of course I just just listen through a set of Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers so maybe to the trained ear it would be an improvement.

Mark_Su

Agent
I cant tell the difference, but am using digital just because it requires less cables.

PS: I think DVD-Audio can only be used with an analog connection.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The bottom line is- in any system, be it home components or a PC- all audio has to be made "analog" at some point.

So- it's a mtter of where- and the difference in "quality" usually comes from the quality of the processors doing the conversion from digital to analog. In the case of your current card, the card is doing the conversion. In the case of a digital connection- your preamp or receiver will do the processing.

Depedning on which is better- you might hear a difference.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks