What's new

Suggestions on New PJ: Epson vs. Optoma? (1 Viewer)

I presently own a Epson Powerlite 6500 UB Projector. I'm upgrading to a UHD 4k .

• EPSON 4000 3LCD 2200 Lumens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Optoma UHD 60 4k UHD DLP Home Theatre Projector 3000 Lumens

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • This projector is used for watching DVDs, Blu Ray, & VHS Movies. I don't do any gaming.

• Projected onto a Stewart 120 " Screen using a 7.1 Stereo Receiver System

• Total voters

Jukebox George

Auditioning
Real Name
George Paul Millaire
Good Morning Everyone;

I'm new to this forum and would like to give you a basic introduction of myself. Presently working as Jukebox George doing Analog to Digital on Audio and Video and have been doing this for 18 years. Retired from the RCAF with 28 years service and have done quite a bit of travelling around the world. I presently live in Prince Edward County, Wellington, Ontario, Canada and loving it here on this little island. More info on myself can be found by goggling George Millaire or Jukebox George.

I hope I can be of some assistance to this Forum and also hope to learn a few things which I'm always open to.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:welcome:

Welcome, George!

We've got lots of Canadian members on the forum...and lots of members who like to help our newer members spend their money on gear! :laugh:

Good luck on your hunt for a new projector!

Jukebox George

Auditioning
Real Name
George Paul Millaire
Thanks Mike; It's a tough decision between the two projectors (Epson 4000 3LCD) & (Optoma UHD 60 4K UHD DLP) but so far to my comparing the specs on each 1, I'm inclined to go with the Optoma till I hear otherwise from someone in this forum. Take care and wish me the best in choosing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you don't mind, I'm going to move your thread to the "Display" forum (and tweak the title), where I think we'll be more likely to get you some answers/guidance.

I'm no help as I'm using a Panasonic plasma and know nothing about PJs.

We're on our way!

Jukebox George

Auditioning
Real Name
George Paul Millaire
Thanks Mike; I appreciate your help as you know I'm "The New Kid On The Block" and could, no pun intended, Use A Little Help From My Friends.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Optoma does not do 24fps, take the manufacturers specifications with a large dose of cynicism, they are not truthful and do not ever reach the lumens output they claim. Will you be calibrating?

What sort of room will you be viewing in and what is your maximum budget, there may be other options.

Jukebox George

Auditioning
Real Name
George Paul Millaire
I presently have the room set up as a Home Theater using an Epson 6500 UB using a high end Yamaha receiver putting out 7.1 sound with built in speakers (Boston Acoustic). Size of room is quite adequate (24' in length & 12' in width). Viewing with my present projector is great both in audio and video.. I mainly want to upgrade to 4K with UHD giving me a much better picture quality.

It's between the Epson 4000 3LCD & the Optoma UHD 60 4K with both projectors within my budget under $3000 Cdn. I went onto YouTube and saw videos of the Optoma giving it high reviews and saying it's Bang for your Buck.

As far as calibrating, the professionals who will be installing this projector will be calibrating, as they did this for my present one.

So far it looks like I'll be going with the Optoma because of the great reviews and don't want to experience going with Epson again as I wasn't too happy with their bulb life, etc. I realize there is the high end JVC model but my Finance Minister (my wife) won't approve the budget on this.

I won't be doing any gaming on this projector but mainly watching DVDs..

Thanks for your assistance on this.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I realize there is the high end JVC model but my Finance Minister (my wife) won't approve the budget on this.

:laugh:

A situation that many of us on this forum live with, George.

We often rate gear within a set of parameters--referred to as WAF or "Wife Acceptance Factor." It can also be referred to as "Spouse" or "Partner Acceptance Factor." A fact of life...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welcome JGeorge. I personally think we're still out a year from a good and reasonably priced 4k HDR PJ. I'd either wait for late 2018 for any upgrades. You have a good PJ now, upgrading is only gonna get you baby steps. Unless your PJ is dying save towards a good deal next year.

My opinion anyway. I'm sitting on a 5 year old Epson 5020 and am happy to wait.

Jukebox George

Auditioning
Real Name
George Paul Millaire
Afternoon Sam;

Good advice and am somewhat inclined to take it. Here is my problem at this moment................my present projector (Epson 6500) is still able to project video onto my screen but what ticks me off is that the quality has diminished to the point when i watch a home movie (library consists of about 2500) the bottom line of the screen is covered with a yellow bar and within the center is a blurred vision showing visual lines which also affect the video. I'm at the point that everytime I watch a movie, I say to my wife, darn, that picture is not to my satisfaction. I'm 69 years old and have always been somewhat of a perfectionist all my life. Meaning, if it isn't working up to my standards, I want to change it.
So here is my dilemma Sam, I have all these new Blu Ray movies I'm dying to watch on this great sound system but won't waste my time watching them in poor quality. I think the whole problem falls around the time I replaced the bulb last year (projector is 7 years old) and I opted for the Diamond version as apposed to the real appropriate one) i.e $200 vs $450 bulb, and I chose the $200 bulb which I believe is causing this poor video.
I can do of two things with this present projector: 1. Pay $400 for the new bulb and hope that will rectify the problem OR purchase this new projector for $2699 Cdn (which will simplify my life and allow me to enjoy my movies). I feel like Elvis Presley..........I'm caught in a trap, etc.
Thanks for the good advice Sam but something tells me that I'm going to break down and purchase a new 4K UHD and keep with the times and enjoy my movies. At my age, life becomes shorter and shorter and one can't put a price on enjoyment. lol
Thanks again Sam and take care, George aka Jukebox George

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I would go with the Epson because it is 3D capable I believe. So if you are a 3D fan, it is a no brainer.
However I prefer the look of DLP over LCD.

Jukebox George

Auditioning
Real Name
George Paul Millaire
Afternoon Bryan;

I'm not into the 3D thing and it goes way back to when the days when the ole' 3D came out and you had to wear the glasses. Like you, I much prefer the look of DLP over 3D. Take care, George

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The issue with your current projector could be the panels are starting to degrade, it’s probably not a bulb issue.

Good luck with your purchase, you will get exceptional sharpness and more brightness on your screen, just be aware of the compromises too, it cannot do the full DCI-P3 coverage, not even close and wide colour gamut is one of the good things about UHD and there is that 24Fps issue, it does pulldown and 60fps only for those discs, perhaps they can fix the latter problem with a firmware update, let’s hope so.

Anyways it should, once calibrated, give you a better picture and overall performance will be improved over your current projector.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yeah, I think the Optoma is probably the best match for your needs. I own an Epson (5040UB, which is a step up from the 4000) but my needs are different because I really need the lens memory feature for my 2.35:1 screen, and I love 3D.

Jukebox George

Auditioning
Real Name
George Paul Millaire
Here comes a new twist to this new projector purchasing. First, I have already made up my mind on what I'm going with. Will be purchasing the Optoma UHD 4K DLP Home Theatre from Costco with sells for under 3000. However; I just got a PM on Facebook from Eric at Red Ball Radio (the ones who initially installed my complete Home Theater System) and he is now telling me that once I get this new 4K projector, I will also need to replace the HDMI cords to 4K (which I already know and am ready to purchase 25 feet from Amazon. Now get this...........he also mentioned that I need to replace my receiver along with a new Blu Ray Player!!!!!!!!! This I wasn't ready for so decided to put the question to the experts on this Home Theater Forum. Basically, I would love to improve the quality of my Video, henceforth, the new projector. The audio coming out is of superb quality giving me a 7.1 Surround Sound. The big question is, do I really have to purchase a new receiver as well as a new Blu Ray player (which is less than 1 year old)?????? Sorry guys but I think I'm being taken to The Cleaners..............Help ....Au Secours.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Here comes a new twist to this new projector purchasing. First, I have already made up my mind on what I'm going with. Will be purchasing the Optoma UHD 4K DLP Home Theatre from Costco with sells for under 3000. However; I just got a PM on Facebook from Eric at Red Ball Radio (the ones who initially installed my complete Home Theater System) and he is now telling me that once I get this new 4K projector, I will also need to replace the HDMI cords to 4K (which I already know and am ready to purchase 25 feet from Amazon. Now get this...........he also mentioned that I need to replace my receiver along with a new Blu Ray Player!!!!!!!!! This I wasn't ready for so decided to put the question to the experts on this Home Theater Forum. Basically, I would love to improve the quality of my Video, henceforth, the new projector. The audio coming out is of superb quality giving me a 7.1 Surround Sound. The big question is, do I really have to purchase a new receiver as well as a new Blu Ray player (which is less than 1 year old)?????? Sorry guys but I think I'm being taken to The Cleaners..............Help ....Au Secours.
Do you have a UHD player ?

If you want to watch 4K UHD discs then you will need a new player, UHD is cheap to buy into at the moment, Panasonic do reasonably priced players, I am not keen on LG or Samsung due to how they forced noise reduction on certain Blu Ray players in the past but the choice is there.

You do not need a new AV receiver if you buy an UHD player with two HDMI outputs, you can pass video directly to your projector and audio to the AV receiver, all but some of the cheapest UHD players offer outputs for this so you can get away without buying a new AV receiver, the only reason to do so would be if you wanted Atmos or DTS X sound and overhead speakers.

As for cables, be careful, older cables can work with 4K, it depends on the length and you should test your cables first before buying any new ones, cables get expensive, shop around, ask on here as you do not have to buy extremely expensive cables, there are cheaper options that work too.

Jukebox George

Auditioning
Real Name
George Paul Millaire
I'm presently using a Yamaha Natural Sound AU Receiver Model RX-V3800 with Cinema DSP Digital with XMHD (XM Ready) Neural Surround; THX Technologies; HDMI DTS - HD Master Audio; DBBY Digital Plus and Dolby True HD.

The following is a link giving the full specs of my receiver and will try to upload some photos taken a few minutes ago of both the front of this receiver and the rear portion of my Epson Projector showing the size of the HDMI Cable being used, etc. Both inputs of HDMI 1 and 2, presently using HDMI input as shown.

https://www.cnet.com/products/yamaha-rx-v3800/specs/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks