What's new

Analog cam to PC (1 Viewer)

steve_jk

Agent
Looking for help in trying to take all my analog camcorder vhs cassettes nad transfer them to my PC and burn them to CD's. I want to be able to make my own VCD's so that it can play in my standalone Pioneer DVD player.

Right now I'm aware of some equipent from Dazzle, the $300 bridge (which is a little expensive for me and it requires a 1394 port which I don't think my 2 year old Aptiva has),
and a $80 DVC 80 (which gets the type of reviews you'd expect from a $80 product and at least one reviewer sid it couldn't make VCD's for a standalone DVD player)

I have USB slots and 1 open PCI slot (500MHZ AMD with 192 mb RAM - I think it's enough - I'm not even looking to edit them; just transfer)

I just installed a Cendyne CDRW that came with some Nero software. Any help is greatly appreciated.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I have the DVC80, and it works great. I got it for about $60CAD, which is about $40USD. Itll definitely be able to make VCDs. VCD creation is mainly software-side, rather than the capture device. You MAY have to do some converting with the DVC80 as it only records in a 320x240-ish resolution, where i think VCDs are 640x480. But im certain if you're okay with computers, then you should be able to make your own.

Was the reviewer just a user of the product, or was he/she like form a magazine or a website? Coz i dont think he/she knows what he/she's talking about!

More VCD info at vcdhelp.com

steve_jk

Agent
thanks, the reviewer was just a buyer of the product.
The best buy site had over 40 individual reviews.
For the most part it was 'it's ok for $70'.
All I'm looking for is to make VCD's out of my tapes so if I can do the basic stuff for that, then I'm happy.
I keep scanning Ebay auctions for a deal on the $300 bridge; but too many people are willing to pay almost new prices for used equipment.

What software did you use to make VCD's from the DVC80?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
if VCD is 352x240, then it should be a cinch to get it from the DVC80 to a VCD, coz im pretty sure 352x240 is what the DVC80 records at.

I havent tried it myself (making a VCD) however, but VCDHELP.com has everything you need to get it working, so check it out.

If i was going to, id probably just use the VCD portion of NERO

Andre F

Screenwriter
NickSo,
Do you have any problems with capturing sound from the Dazzle 80? I just ordered it from Buy.com (however since I did not receive it in my order and Buy.com is doing nothing about it, I may have to get it somewhere else...but I digress). That is one of the biggest complaints I've heard about the unit.

Regarding creating VCD's, I've been using Nero and that works great. Also, VCDhelp.com is the BEST resource I've come across for creating and editing video. It's a huge site with lots of info...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i did have a problem with sound at first, i'm not sure, but i think I fixed it by installing a new driver.

If worse comes to worst, you can just get a cable and plug it into the LINE IN port of your sound card.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks