What's new

Dual Purpose DVD Recorders? (1 Viewer)

Eric*B

Agent
Are there any dual purpose DVD Recorders out there? It would be great to have a unit with analog inputs for recording directly to DVD from a VCR or older camcorder - BUT, why can't the same unit be also utilized as a PC DVD burner to backup data, etc?

I have been looking at the Gateway AR-230 for $299 after rebate - I have been told that it will at least copy DV-AVI video off my computer via FireWire.

My delima is that I have about 30 Hi8 camcorder tapes that I need to get moved over to DVD fairly quickly - my Hi8 cam died and a friend is letting me borrow his Hi8 cam so I can get my tapes converted, but he needs his cam back for the holidays. It looks like the home-theater oriented recorders are setup to record from an analog input to DVD on the fly (which is a necessity for me at the moment).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Maybe the closest thing to thisis the new HP dvd burner which has a/v inputs built into it, but I think you still need to have it hooked up to a PC to record. I think the av inputs just allow you not to have a video capture card on your pc. I'm not sure what software supports it other than what it's bundled with.

Eric*B

Agent
I ended up getting the Gateway recorder which I believe in actuality is a LiteOn mechanism (at least it names the discs "LiteOnInt") It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it's VERY simple to operate - my wife can record her favorite shows easily on DVD+RW discs and I've already copied all my old Hi8 camcorder tapes over to DVD+R's. I had looked at buying a DV bridge and just recording from Hi8 to a large external FW HD, but the bridges alone are $200+. And I have to say, this gateway unit has a MUCH more friendly and usable remote than my Samsung 931.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks