Dual Purpose DVD Recorders?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric*B, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Eric*B

Eric*B Agent

Are there any dual purpose DVD Recorders out there? It would be great to have a unit with analog inputs for recording directly to DVD from a VCR or older camcorder - BUT, why can't the same unit be also utilized as a PC DVD burner to backup data, etc?

I have been looking at the Gateway AR-230 for $299 after rebate - I have been told that it will at least copy DV-AVI video off my computer via FireWire.

My delima is that I have about 30 Hi8 camcorder tapes that I need to get moved over to DVD fairly quickly - my Hi8 cam died and a friend is letting me borrow his Hi8 cam so I can get my tapes converted, but he needs his cam back for the holidays. It looks like the home-theater oriented recorders are setup to record from an analog input to DVD on the fly (which is a necessity for me at the moment).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Maybe the closest thing to thisis the new HP dvd burner which has a/v inputs built into it, but I think you still need to have it hooked up to a PC to record. I think the av inputs just allow you not to have a video capture card on your pc. I'm not sure what software supports it other than what it's bundled with.

3. Eric*B

Eric*B Agent

I ended up getting the Gateway recorder which I believe in actuality is a LiteOn mechanism (at least it names the discs "LiteOnInt") It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it's VERY simple to operate - my wife can record her favorite shows easily on DVD+RW discs and I've already copied all my old Hi8 camcorder tapes over to DVD+R's. I had looked at buying a DV bridge and just recording from Hi8 to a large external FW HD, but the bridges alone are $200+. And I have to say, this gateway unit has a MUCH more friendly and usable remote than my Samsung 931.