What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Normally I feel the auditions go on way too long (3 weeks at 4 hours a week?!) but I'm enjoying them this time around.

My wife hates that I've always predicted the winner* by the 2nd week of the finalists competition (I had Taylor and Carrie pegged from the auditions). I have yet to see anyone who's caught my attention yet.

I think they let through those they see with potential. Maybe not perfect from the start, but those just on the verge of blooming. Take Kelly Clarkson. I wasn't impressed with her at all, and hated when she kept singing the same song through the various stages, I think even Simon said she was forgettable. Then they did Big Band week early on in the season and suddenly there was no stopping her.

-paul
*except for Fantasia. I HATED that season, didn't like anyone, and could barely muster the patience to make it through an episode.

[edit: I forgot to add that Simon said exactly what I was thinking about the George Michael/Simon lookalike - 'put on a dress, call yourself Felicia Jollygoodfellow and you'd be a hit at La Cage'

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
We weren't impressed here by the Opera singer when she did her first two songs, and I don't think the judges were either. However, when she broke out into that final song -- wow. I hated every minute I had to listen to a bad singer when I could have been listening to that. We'll see.

We also wanted to know why Joan Collins was a judge. Pretty strong resemblance I never noticed before.

Are we talking the black girl who was a background singer and had to be, even surpassing the Indian brother and sister (which is mostly age-related shyness), as the meekest person yet caught on film/tape? It'll be interesting to see if she goes Paris Bennett on us once things get going.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, to bad for the girl that didn't go to school and lied to dad about being at a friends house for two days because I think she'll be in that first round to get bounce. She wasn't great at all but the sympathy story about her going against her dad probably got her to Hollywood. As for Sundance he wasn't that great either.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess judging singing talent is in the ear of the beholder because I thought both singers sounded very good.

Crawdaddy

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering....when the rejected contestants sing the song together towards the end...when do they film this? Because the ones who get pissed they aren't selected are singing.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

I suspect it is before they get in front of the real judges. When there are shots in the hallways in the hotels they are in, you can see other rooms that appear to also have lights and backdrops. I bet the "pre-determined losers" are first "vetted" in another room where they are asked to do the chosen song for the show. Even without that, each one of them would probably do anything if told they will be on camera, regardless of how they were treated by Simon and gang minutes earlier.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> a dejected contestant said he was "shot down like an F150".

Are you sure he didn't say F15, like the jet?

> I still want to know why Joan Collins was one of the judges.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if the contestants were told before going in who the guest judge was, because I'll bet most would not have recognized her, and many would not have known the name Carol Bayer Sager.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

Which is a shame considering she is a more accomplished musician than any of the other three in the room. Their fame has come from the show they are on.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I absolutely agree about those two. The second one had much more personality in her voice. Can't wait to see what they wear in future episodes. :D

BTW, when do we start in with the "Separated At Birth" gags? That taller girl looked a lot like Eva Mendes. Hanson Yoo, where are youuuuu?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Good lord -- I missed the beginning, and when they called her "Carole" I thought that Carole King had gotten weird plastic surgery or something. Seriously! :D

She does look a lot like Joan Collins.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Ironic. I was in the gym yesterday and only started watching about half an hour into the show (the exercise bike has TV, and we get AI broadcast locally literally hours after the US telecast). I couldn't recognise Carol, but thought that it might indeed be Ms Bayer Sager, then later asked the person on the next bike who was also watching, but she said it was Carole King. It wasn't till I got home and watched a recording of the show (to catch the parts I missed) that I saw the opening introduction that it was Bayer Sager).

Gotta agree with the points already made: opera girl is a really good singer and could go far; of the best friends the second (Annabella? Antonella?) is better and will probably do better -- did you catch the bit where Ryan cheekily refers to the "awkward moment" where Amanda (first girl) asked what the judges say, and best friend diplomatically doesn't say the judges said she was better? The "shot down like an F-150" was a real hoot; and yeah Carol does look a lot like Joan Collins. It was quite amusing too the way Ryan kept calling Isadora Julie, to her annoyance.

I did wonder as well, whenever they compile those montages of bad singers all butchering the same song (e.g. last week in Minneapolis, it was Prince's Kiss, this week Lionel Richie's All Night Long), as to how that comes about. I suspect Chuck's got it right, that they are invited to perform in another room that is set up the same. Indeed, they're probably asked to sing the particular song, otherwise it's a heck of a coincidence for so many bad singers to have chosen the same song. I'd guess, though, that these "special pre-auditions" are done before they meet Cowell & Co. (Paula & Partners?).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Each city has a "theme" song that gets sung by all those who get to see the judges, and it is in a separate room with the same background props, so it seems like they were signing for the judges when they just sign for the producers for the montage segment.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Well the ratings juggernaut that is AI doesn't appear to slowing down any time soon. Wednesday's ratings are in:

""American Idol" demolished everything in sight again in primetime on Wednesday with a two-hour edition that peaked at 36.9 million viewers in the 9 p.m. hour.

"Idol" opened up the night for Fox at 8 p.m. with 27.7 million viewers and 11.1 rating/30 share in the adults 18-49 demographic. By 9 pm., viewership had climbed to 36.9 million and 15.5/37 in the demo.

"Idol" surpassed the combined ratings of ABC, CBS, NBC and CW Network in both the 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. hours.

All told, Fox won the night with an average of 33.6 million viewers and 13.9/34 in adults 18-49, which was not too far from where it was last Wednesday with the two-hour conclusion of "Idol's" blockbuster premiere (36.9 million, 15.5/36)."
(Emphasis added, Source)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks