What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Actually, he just didn't like her or her voice. The CW has a show called AI Rewind which recaps the first season, and it was clear during Hollywood week that Simon had no interest in putting Kelly through. "I just don't like her" was what he told Paula and Randy. They thought he was crazy and put her through.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure "winning" is as great as it would seem. Taylor's album seems like a pretty big flop, so maybe Simon was right about him.

The audience's ability to pick an actual, bonafide commercial star seems dubious, at best. Outside of Kelly Clarkson, and perhaps Carrie Underwood, none of the winners has been particularly successful. Also-rans like Clay Aiken, Josh Gracin, Kimberly Locke, and Chris Daughtry have done better than most of the winners.

It just seems very odd when you can have over 30 million people following the show every week, yet it becomes a huge struggle to get even 1 million of those viewers to support the final product. It must be similar to the "Snakes on a Plane" effect where people are buzzing during the creation/production phase, but aren't really all that interested in the actual final result.

And tonight's "Panther" guy was incredibly bizarre, while the older guy singing "You Belong to Me" was very touching. Pretty good voice, too. If he were within the age limit, he might be going to Hollywood.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Kelly was a total dark horse up until she had an amazing performance on Big Band night where she just cranked it up a notch put herself into America's consciousness on AI. I remember Entertainment Weekly giving her not-so-good odds to win (in the bottom 5 out of the 10 finalists), while, IIRC, projecting Justin or Tamyra being the favorites to win. Sometimes Kelly has this "screamer" singer in her that makes her unpleasant to listen to (her live performances in concert can get a little ragged sounding), and I think Simon was responding to that part of her vocals, but she's got good phrasing and a nice melodic lilt to her voice, while also a nice range to tackle many different songs in the proper key.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I didn't think her story about her dad was in any way true. I didn't think that she was just 17. I didn't think her boobs were real. And I sure as hell didn't think she had enough talent to go to Hollywood.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

In all honesty, so far this year I have yet to see anyone shown that was rejected that I thought should have gone to Hollywood.

There have been a few, tho, that I thought shouldn't have gone. Blonde Bomshell for one. I thought her voice was shrill, tho she sounded better when she went quiet. She certainly won't make it to the live show. What I thought was interesting was in all the pre-audition shots of her (and there were many) in each one her hair was completely different.

-paul

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Almost certainly, since that happened on the last series (season) of The X-Factor, which has replaced Pop Idol as the UK's ongoing 'singing talent' show (and is co-produced by Simon Cowell's production company SyCo); one of the judges - Sharon Osbourne - had to rush off as there was a fire at her house, leaving the other two judges - Cowell and Louis Walsh - to judge on their own. The contestants still needed two 'yes' votes to go through, so a 1-1 tie meant they were out.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
heh, the alien one.

i said that to my wife while we were watching that ep.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Oh, crap. Was there an episode last night? I put it on at 8 and they were showing Bones. Did they run AI at 9 pm or something? I forgot to check again. Why the heck would they do that. . .

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Because they are done with the 2-hour block of auditions, and the results show will be at 9 p.m. (EST) on Wednesdays.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

In the event of a tie, Simon's vote is the deciding one, since the winner will end up signed to his label.

John Swarce

Second Unit
It would not be another great season of Idol without Hanson Yoo's "Seperated at Birth" pictures! Great to see you back! I, too, loved the Alien one, plus the Mr. Limpet one!

--John

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Hanson, those are great. Wow. (Although I disagree with the William Hurt one - I don't see the resemblance at all.) Seriously though, those should be published somewhere.

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
"It's peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time. . ."

Anyone else catch that great moment?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Agreed. He wouldn't have gone far, but voice-wise alone, he merited a "golden ticket" I suppose. It was certainly a nice touch, one of the sweet sappy moments that AI producers love, I suppose.

As an aside, they keep calling them "golden tickets" -- should the estate of Roald Dahl sue? :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
are you takking about the kid in the pic from star trek?

that is clint howard

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The single funniest audition of the season thus far -- the girl with the extreme camel toe who sang like a dying cat, and offered bizarre comebacks like, "you don't know me, how can you judge me?" and the classic illogical statement of the deluded, "You're entitled to your opinion."

But what put this over the top was the jingoistic and ignornant mom who said, "Where he from, French? He need to go back to British."

I almost peed.

BTW, if you're new to Idol Separated at Birth, I still have the ones from last season online:
http://home.comcast.net/~hanson68/idol.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks