What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (2 Viewers)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The ratings phenomena continues anew starting Tuesday night on Fox from 8-10 p.m., and again on Wednesday night with mostly bad singers from the auditions.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am one of the few people who hate the auditions. I like the show much more when it sticks to the serious contestants. I don't get the majority of folks that say the auditions are the best part.

It is so obvious that the bad people, know they are bad, or are even being deliberately over the top bad. They just want to get on tv. I just don't get why they are put on the air when the producers know the scoop.

Why they put these people in front of the judges is beyond me. It is a waste of time and it means there are hundreds of good singers who wont get the chance to audition. Even the judges always seem to get upset at having to waste their time.

But, having just said all of that, I am glad it is back. :)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
You're not alone in not wanting to see the bad performances. I've stated before I hate that aspect of the show. My favorite is when they go to the "intimate stage" (top 24?). My Next favorite is the big stage. However, they do show at least some good performances during the auditions. Do you remember Paris Bennett from last year's auditions? I'd argue it's the best we ever saw her. I don't think showing the bad people keeps any good singers out of the competition, but I do think it takes time that should be given to those singers. There was a girl last year who talked about having almost no TV time by the time she got to the intimate stage.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I think you answered your own question...they are put on because the majority of the people (me included) think it's the best part. Once the auditions are over I stop watching as I have no interest in the music the finalists sing (and personally I usually find about half of the final 12 to be average singers at best).

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the first Episode.

Something is seriously wrong with Paula Abdul. She did very little talking and was making goofy short responses and faces throughout the program. Coupled with her recent interview, I have to conclude she is on drugs, has taken up alcohol, or had some kind of breakdown.

J

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
I also thought Paula was basically absent from this show, not just the usual loopy, spaced out Paula. It almost seemed as if they were skipping over her whenever opinions were solicited, where she usually plays the lead role to Simon's bad boy. Will be interesting to see if it was just this city or if she a real problem.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The cynicism is already in - Ford gets a plug in the first audition show!! The girl who works in her father's auto shop wears a Ford t-shirt and is working on a Ford truck. How blatant can you get?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well, I can tell this year is the same. Louder = Better in the minds of the judges.

I hate it when people use their sob stories to influence the producers (and thus the judges and the competition).

This is about singing. Not about making a movie of the week for the Hallmark channel.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
My favorite moment in the show:

"This is the most degrading moment in my life"

Yeah, at least until your schoolmates see you crying like a girl on national TV. Then, this will have been a cakewalk.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
God, that was the worst episode of this show ever, and coming from me that's pretty bad.

The okay singers weren't exceptionally good, and the awful singers weren't even interestingly bad. Just two hours of utter meh, and painful embarrassing mocking. I felt so bad for the girl who kicked off the show, that loved Jewel but couldn't sing and ended up sobbign for like ten minutes, that I can't even explain it.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I'll be amazed if Paula makes it through this season without some sort of "absence" due to "physical demands" or some crap like that.
She's in need of professional help.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah it was a pretty boring opening. I also don't like the audition phase and wonder why they spend so much time having the judges consider these obviously delusional performers. If I were one of the judges, I'd place a higher value on my time than having to sit and watch someone screech through a song that even Bob Smith on the street knows is horrible. I mean, that singing/dancing dumbass near the end? What's the point? I'd rather they just spend the time introducing those who were selected to move on.

Where are all the fights between the judges? They were all of the same opinion last night. Was there even a single contrary vote?

And it's already been widely reported in the press last fall that Seattle had no talent whatsoever, so tonight is just going to be 2 hours of excruciating wanna-bes.

I also agree on the sob-story angle. It seems if you're in the miltary or had a hard childhood, you get an automatic pass to Hollywood. :rolleyes

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I always enjoy the auditions especially the really bad ones. The best I thought was the cowardly lion girl. Show still has it's magic but perhaps it's time to make a couple of changes. Simon, always a keeper, Randy is it me or is he putting the weight back on (change him I think) and Paula. My wife and I noticed that she was out there. Her responses were not the Paula that probably got her there. In fact I found some of her comments to be out of character. Maybe tonight we'll se a better Paula, but for me, next season introduce some new judges.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I think it was unneccessary to show them belittling the guy who was a "voice teacher", with Randy(!?!) telling the guy he should give his students their money back. So much for his livelihood after that episode. Maybe he should sue for compensation.

Of course teachers will tell their students they're doing well - if they told them they had no talent, the kids would quit, have their parents chew the teacher out, and the teacher won't make a living that way :D

Best moment of the show - "Prince will never be on this show again!"

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

Anyone entering that room signs a waiver which basically probably let's Fox use that video in any manner than want, including editing/morphing/slicing it to make the person look anyway they want. As far as that one guy goes, he got more air time than he will ever get otherwise and is now the most recognizable voice coach in the entire country. That's gotta be worth something ;-)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Several of these segments ran on way too long IMO, and a few were downright painful to watch. It almost felt like the producers spent too much time assembling this episode or that there was a LOT of committee second-guessing involved in the final edit. I have to admit though that I got a kick out of the cowardly lion girl. That was genuinely funny and fresh.

I really hope tonight's telecast is more entertaining, but since the ratings for last night are through the roof, I have a feeling I may be in the minority on this one.

One last thought... I can't imagine how anyone we saw last night will make it past Hollywood. I kept waiting for them to highlight a genuine "ringer," but I sure didn't see or hear one. As always, YMMV.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
God awful....I almost pulled my hair out. that should have been an hour episode and that would be stretching it. Hope it gets better tonight, but I read in TV Guide that Seattle was by far the worst city ever so who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks