What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
AI rules are that you don't have to be an amateur, only currently unsigned.

Jordin wouldn't be the first AI contestant to have an album previously... so did Taylor Hicks and more than a few others. Taylor, IIRC, was earning his living from playing bars & clubs as well, which wouldn't make him an amateur.

I have to agree with Simon that I found her a bit sugary. My favorite so far have been the Indian brother & sister, Shyamalee & Sanjaya. If they could only fuse Shyamalee's personality to Sanjaya's voice, the resulting performer would be pretty hard to beat.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

I feel the same way. I watched all 4 hours last night (but had to fast forward through some horrid ones which went on way too long). So far, nobody has interested me. (I knew from 15 seconds of Bo Bice and Chris Daughtry in the auditions that they were the ones I'd support.) If there are no "rockers" this year or anyone else I like in the Top 24, I think I'll drop the show for the season.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Actually, I think they're better than ever. I read somewhere that the premiere got the biggest ratings ever for AI (something like 38 million viewers). That puts it far and away the most watched show of the week ("Grey's Anatomy" and "Desperate Housewives" generally attract about 22-26 million).

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
It's actually even a bit better than that:

From Variety:

"This makes it the highest-rated entertainment telecast in adults 18-49 on any net since the series finale of NBC's "Friends" in May 2004. Compared to this season's previous top primetime telecasts, Tuesday's "Idol" premiere comes in 43% higher in adults 18-49 than the season premiere of ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" (11.0/26) and 30% bigger in total viewers than the college football BCS title game on Jan. 8 between Florida and Ohio State (28.8 million)."

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
These rating are good, but lets see how they hold. People were jonesing for the show to come back, so the first shows had good ratings. But now that people are seeing it is just more of the same, the rating will most likely start to fall off.

I have never really liked the audition episodes, but this year has been the worst so far. I think many people will tune out for a while.

Tonight they still might get good numbers becuase they will have no competiton. They look to be the only first run show on the air after the state of the union address.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
The reason I say "just as good" is to allow for future fluctuation caused by some of the reasons stated above. Even if it falls from the initial 38 million to 28 million, we're still talking the #1 rated show on TV. That's my point.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Choppy as in losing signal? Then yes, my national fox channel has been cutting out at random intervals but my local fox station doesn't. I thought it was just my provider.

It will be interesting to see how the castro looking dude does in the long run as well as the guy whose father was a singer. I thought they were both very good. Simon does not like Taylor as he said that Sunsomething blew him away.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Isn't this show approaching American Dreamz on some levels now?

I think they felt sorry for the guy who missed the birth of his child waiting for an audition. I hope he regrets it because he doesn't sound that good.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Not everyone going to Hollywood will make it past that stage. Sure they're letting some folks through who aren't the strongest, and who they know won't win. They always have.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Simon's biggest problem with Taylor, which was mentioned in the latest EW cover story on AI, is that he sees it as Taylor's win being more for his personality rather than his singing ability. Simon's afraid the show will become a total personality contest vs. a singing contest with personality.

I think Sundance Head (what a name), has a better voice than Taylor but I think he will suffer when it comes to the theme weeks. He doesn't seem like he can switch up his style on cue. He and Osama bin Castro need to be introduced to a razor, asap! I see Melissa Doolittle going far, though.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I think they felt sorry for the guy who missed the birth of his child waiting for an audition.

Me too- but they usually pass a few through in the first round for sentimental or other reasons.

Sundance is just a nickname, if you didn't notice the subtitle.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Sundance's given name is Jason. What did Melissa Doolittle sing? The only ones I remember from #6x03 (Memphis) were Danielle McCulloch (Baby I Love You) and Sundance.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Another (unintended?) slip - a dejected contestant said he was "shot down like an F150".

I'm surprised the editors of this episode let that one get through, since Ford is a key sponsor. It's not a good idea to have the program you're sponsoring spit on you.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Re: the Best friends

The 1st girl is an average trained singer, but her best friend has more natural range and melody to her voice.

I still want to know why Joan Collins was one of the judges. :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
An Aretha Franklin song, who's name I was not familiar with, but something to do with love (doesn't it always?)

It was quite refreshing, as indeed Simon pointed out, to have someone who didn't have any confidence nor attitude, but actually had the voice worthy of it, as contrasted to the usual contestant full of attitude and bluster, but who couldn't sing.

The interesting thing, I thought, was that contestants who were all right, but not great, singers tended to take rejection better, whereas the deluded ones who (genuinely?) thought they were good enough to win AI outright, often reacted very badly to rejection. No doubt all editing by Fox to make things more interesting, i.e. show the really bad singers in the worst possible light.

Sean*O

Second Unit

Is that the Opera singer? I thought that girl had an amazing range and will probably leave most of the other contestants in the dust when it comes to pure vocal ability.

She could scream grunge with a real substance and backbone, or sing a calm melody in perfect pitch and hit the highest notes while running scales in complete control. She also seems like a rocker at heart, so I will be rooting for her. Even though her appearance is a bit rough around the edges, I think she has a TON of potential and might go very far in the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks