What's new

American Idol - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'm just excited that one of the "theme nights" is going to be ABBA songs...then again, many of my favorites are gonna get SERIOUSLY butchered.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Forget the auditions - tho most painful moment watching Fox HD thus far - the Coke ad with "Hello Goodbye" - Paul McCartney needs to dig in his pockets and get control of his music back.

"NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS!!"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is my very first season watching and i'm having fun so far, that indian girl tonight was cute as all hell, she reminded me of Rachel Leigh Cooke.

Why I don't enjoy the bad auditions perse', I do have this morbid facination with seeing people embarass the hell out of themselves on national television while I cover my eyes with embarassment myself lol.

It just HAS to be that most of these people just want to appear on television, they can't seriously believe that they are good enough to make it to Hollywood. :eek:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jordan did not sound that good, and was not the bomb, totally disagree with Randy. She was okay, but did not deserve that much praise. But seeing as how they had so many bad singer come through, the judges reacted like a starving person at a buffet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"simon can kiss my bleep, because i do not look like a monkey!!"

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

I absolutly agree with you. People will do anything to get on T.V. and have no respect for themselves not realising people are not laughing with them but rahter at them. But if not for this fluff, they wouldn't have many shows to air. I watch when it gets down to the top 10, with the exception of the first show.

With the excpetion of Clarkson and Underwood, none of them have made any splash at all after the shows were over. Hicks from last year barely hit the Top 50 and was gone in short order. No one knows or cares about them after the fact. It's simple fact, this is just a popcorn show with popcorn talent.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
My understanding is that Simon, Paula and Randy only see a small sub-set of heavily screened singers. By that point in that camera filled room, the actual talent is well known by all and these really bad singers are purposely put forward for the sole purpose of creating these kick-off shows and close-up shots of the "shocked" judges. Whether the singers actually thought they were good before entering Simon's room may be because the previous screeners moved them on, it was just for the wrong reasons which they find out the hard way.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Finally we get to see the security guys emerge from the shadows just in the nick of time to prevent Simon from getting a dalop of product.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Me too! I watch with remote in-hand since I have to flip away before it gets too excruciating. :D

No love for Nick Zitzmann? "Unchained Melody" will never sound the same again. ;)

And why was Ryan Seacrest acting like such an ass? Judges are supposed to be judgemental, but the host should always be cordial. :thumbsdown:

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I like the Indian sister and brother a lot. I hope they both do well.

I don't know, this is the first season where it really feels like we've seen everything before. I mean, the concept is the same thing season after season but I don't find the bad auditions amusing anymore. Especially when they spend 10 minutes on each one and hype them up and show the most amusing 15 seconds before every commercial break.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I missed that part...What happened?

On a similar note. On E! last night they had a bio on Simon. And in one interview they say that their is a ring of security just outside of camera shot.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

They were inside the camera shot last night. :)

A hairdresser (whom Ryan described as "Taylor Hicks after being hit in the face with a shovel") tried to approach Simon on the way out to do his hair. (Had he been a hot girl, then I'm sure security wouldn't have been called!)

Amazing that they only found 14 people worth letting through (and some of them weren't so great). That must've been a nightmare.

There's no way that Simon, Paula and Randy personally listen to all those thousands of people over the course of 2 days. If they spent 1 minute with each of 6,000 people (a low estimate of both time and people), that'd be 100 hours. This is American Idol, not Doctor Who. :D

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I liked this week's episodes.

> If I were one of the judges, I'd place a higher value on my time than having to sit and watch someone screech through a song that even Bob Smith on the street knows is horrible.

I'd gladly sit there all day for what those judges are paid- are you kidding?

> I think it was unneccessary to show them belittling the guy who was a "voice teacher", with Randy(!?!) telling the guy he should give his students their money back. So much for his livelihood after that episode. Maybe he should sue for compensation.

Yeah, right. The guy couldn't sing, so Randy's comments were dead on. It is a joke to be a vocal coach if you can't carry a tune yourself.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
My favorites so far are Jordin Sparks (Because You Loved Me, dad played in NFL on the Giants), and Sarah Krueger (Somewhere Over The Rainbow). There was a guy who participated in the threads in past seasons that I hope pops in. I don't remember his nick, just that he mentioned vocal "scooping" when searching for correct notes. While that type of technical assessment won't change what/who I like, I still enjoy it from folks who have hearing a bit better than my own. Sometimes it causes me to notice something I hadn't noticed before. I don't remember if it was true in past seasons, but I don't recall any comments on pitch and such so far. Randy is famous for saying "pitchy" but everyone at this stage just seems to fall into "yes" or "no". Maybe the stronger critique comes later (Hollywood and forward).

Anyone have any opinions on those two singers? I didn't agree with Simon that Jordin was too "sugary" but that'll come out in time if it's true. Down with airing bad singers -- give more time to the good singers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Randy has commented on pitch a few times already. Also, one of the main problems with these "contestants" is that they are tone deaf when they sing (like the mother with the non-supportive husband). Jordin didn't deserve all the praise that was heaped on her, I was not impressed, she sounded weird to me in her phrasing and intonation. I did like Sarah, but she lacked a spark in the personality department with the footage they showed.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure how Jordin Sparks fits the criteria of "amateur" for American Idol. According to her extensive Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordin_Sparks

...she seems like a semi-professional, having won prior talent competitions, being a hired soloist for events, and recorded an album several years ago.

Aren't these contestants supposed to be fresh, new talent? It sounds like she's already got a pretty decent musical career going.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I think it's been covered before, specifically last year when folks talked about all the experience some of the contestants had. I think the main requirements are they must be between 16-27/28 and not currently under contract.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks