What's new

Alternatives to the Denon 1600? (1 Viewer)

GregorySB

Grip
Almost all the posts I see recommending DVD players in the under $400 price range always seem to recommend the Denon 1600 to the exclusion of all others. I'm interested in hearing some alternative opinions. What other currently available players will be as good as or better than the Denon 1600 in the under $400 price range.

With the Denon 1600 getting harder to find (not impossible, by any means, but harder) what other current models are comparable?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you like the idea of a DVI or HD upconverting player the Bravo D1 and Liteon LDV2001 are good choices. The Bravo upconverts to 720p and 1080i over DVI and the liteon does it over component. Both have been reviewed to give PQ equal and above the Panasonic RP82, which the Denon 1600 is built around and will have exactly the same PQ as. The Bravo and Liteon seem to have a very strong edge in video material, even though the Denon has the Faroudja chipset which is great at handling video.

If you aren't interested in an upconverting player, the 1600 is one of the best players on the market. I found one locally for $300 and was very tempted to grab it, but didn't since i'm very happy w/ my Bravo. The Panasonic CP72 is another option, and is essentially a 5disc version of the RP82. There's a new Mitsubishi player which has been said to be very close to the 1600's performance and has the Faroudja chipset, but I can't remember the model #. The Denon 2200 and 2900 have been reported to have a slightly softer picture, but if you want a Universal players those seem to be the way to go.

I'm personally waiting for the Denon 5900 and Pioneer Elite 59A upconverting players, but those will both be in the above $1k price range (which is why i'll probably be waiting until refurbs pop up).

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
There are none under $400 - all the great DVD players are discontinued and the newer models are inferior unfortunately. Get a Denon DVD-1600 while you can!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks