What's new

denon 900/1600 owners: redbook CD quality? (1 Viewer)

Ramesh J

Auditioning
My Pioneer DV-333 has started choking on CDs and some DVDs, so I'm in the market for a new player. My budget is $400 or lower.

My requirements are first and foremost that CD playback be excellent; in fact, I've even considered sticking with the Pioneer for DVD playback for a while, and getting a NAD C541i ($399). Alternatively, I was thinking of getting a Denon DVD-1600, which is $349 at Crutchfield, or a 900, which I can get pretty cheap around here.

But I've had a hard time figuring out what people think of CD playback on the Denons. Is it just "good for a DVD player," or is it good when compared against good CD players?

rj

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I am looking at the Denon 910. It goes for $300. I think it replaces the 900. I am looking for one in the sub $400 range also.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Ramesh,

I know it has kind of taking a bad rap around here, but the Elite DV45A is a quality machine that would meet your needs. A lot of members on this forum, myself included, have not been able to pick up this infamous chroma bug on our DV45A's, and, contraty to what these Secrets people say, think it has a pretty darn good picture. Also, I feel that one of the stronger points ont he DV45A is it's audio capabilities with straight redbook CD's. If I want some truly good sound in my system, I bypass the changer and fire up the DV45A for CD's. Also, it does give you SACD and DVD-A capability. Granted, this is up for discussion as far as how well it does this with BM and all, but nonetheless, it gets your foot in the door. Also, it can be picked up for

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I prefer the DAC's in my Denon 1600 to those in my Rotel 1055 so they're pretty decent. Remeber the 1600 uses urr brown DAC's:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks