What's new

I just bought a Denon 1200. Please, tell my why I should return it.... (1 Viewer)

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to the Home Theater Forum. :) I have been on a quest for the past couple months for the best DVD player for my setup. So, i'm here to ask for some good advice.

After buying a 42" Sony Grand Wega III in October, I did quite of bit of reading on this forum as well as others. I finally ended up buying a Denon 1200 a couple days ago and I am very happy with the results. Before buying the 1200 I had previously bought and returned a Denon 1600 (floor model that broke a week later), a Denon 910, and a Samsung HD931 which I hooked up via DVI cable.

I loved all the Denons and the Samsung had a fantastic picture as well. The only reason I returned the HD931 was simply because of the black crush which was way to serious for my eyes. So, I ended up with the Denon 1200 which seems to be the closest alternative to the Denon 1600 right now. I know I can find another 1600 somewhere but i've done some searching and i'm not excited about ordering a DVD player through the mail. I know how those UPS guys handle boxes. :)

So my question is this. I love my Denon 1200 and the picture looks nearly flawless to me. My only concern is what i've heard about DVI players and "fixed pixel" displays. I've been told if you can get the DVD player to put out the native resolution of the tv you'll get a picture beyond your wildest dreams. The problem is my Sony GW III has a native resolution of 788 progressive. I have yet to hear of a DVD player that is going to output that exact resolution.

So, should I return my 1200 or is there a better option currently available? Also, does anyone have a suggestion for me that might be out within the next few months? I don't feel like waiting til the fall but I would wait a couple months if necessary. Thanks for any input.

Danny

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor

I think that is a little much.

All fixed pixal displays have to display at their native resolution. So no matter what you feed them (TV, composite, component) the TV will convert the picture to its native resolution. So the conversion is always taking place. It then becomes a matter of what will do the converting better. Generally the converters in TVs are not the best, so you can get a better picture if the converters are better in the DVD player. But it won't be that much better because the picture was converted either way.

The only other benefit of a DVI connection is that it elminiates a digital to analog conversion and then back to digital in the TV. Again, a small improvement.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. Could you give me your reccomendation though? :) Do you think the Denon 1200 is the best option available for $350 (which is what I paid)?

Danny

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes the Denon DVD-1200 (or the 910) are the best options in the near $300 range at least for now. Unless you consider the top-rated discontinued models like the Denon DVD-1600, Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 - they are the best. In a year or so, check again.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Bravo D1 via DVI will really impress you. It has a superior PQ in most cases to the players that have been mentioned. It is a little quirky at times, especially if you have any pioneer equipment in your system (it responds to their remote codes too), but the PQ is nearly impossible to beat at the price range. It doesn't have the Black Crush or Edge Enhancement problems that turn some people off from the Samsung HD931, it plays DIVX/XVID files burned to CD or DVD, and it's only $199 + SH.

In my comparrisons it bested a Denon 1600 (DVI compared to Component) on both a CRT based RPTV and a LCD based FP. The image was sharper, especially on the LCD FP. The colors were dead on with no push in any part of the color spectrum. It also made screen door much less noticable on the LCD FP when using a screen larger than optimal for the viewing area.

I would definitely give the D1 a try. The price/pq combo is impossible to beat, especially w/ a fixed pixel display.

Hope this helps :)

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I can't help but be scared off from the Bravo after reading the Secrets review of it. It's a little harsh on many aspects of the player.

Tiger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks