1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Newer alternative to Denon DVD-1600?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by AdrianC, Nov 28, 2003.

1. AdrianC

AdrianC Auditioning

After much searching, I had finally decided on the 1600. Basically I needed best picture quality possible in a progressive scan player with component out (TV has DVI, but doesn't seem all that useful, yet). However, I had found three places with great prices for the player, only to have them run out of stock before I could purchase.
    Anyway, here's my question. Are there any DVD players currently in production that have the same picture quality as the 1600 for

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Might wanna check audiogon/videogon, I believe someone there has one for < 350 last I checked.

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

None match the quality of the DVD-1600 exactly, the closest newer models are the Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $250 or the Denon DVD-910 for $299.

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Just bought a Mitsubishi 8040 last night for $188(+$14 tax). It was their last unit in stock. Tried an AIX DVD-A disc--WOW!. Their sampler contains a Haitian Voodo song, it felt like I was in the cemetary. Haven't tried it with progressive scan as I don't have a TV that has component inputs(yet). I am having a heck of a time getting discreet codes(for Pronto) to turn it on and off. Is the mitsubishi based on a Panasonic? Would trying that code help?

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Thats a low price for the DD-8040, they normally sell for around $250. The Mitsubishi DD-8040 appears to based on the Denon DVD-1200 (not the Panasonic) and actually adds a couple setup features like 4:3 window-box option. I didn't like however that the dark/light output black level setting doesn't stick - at every power off/on cycle it reverts to "light" and I prefered "dark" setting.

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

The mitsubishi looks a lot like the Toshiba's..

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Try the Denon 2200 if you can't find a 1600