What's new

Denon 2900 or Pioneer + ICBM? (1 Viewer)

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I currently have Denon's excellent 1600 in my primary theater. However, the upgrade bug has gotten to me, and I am looking for a universal player. My budget is limited to $1000.

I am immediately attracted to the 2900 because I like Denon and this seems to be the simplest alternative. However, I have been reading about bass balance issues with the player. So my first question is: If I hook up the analog outputs for SACD/DVD-A and the coax/optical for DVD playback, am I going to run into problems? Once calibrated, I don't want to think about turning my bass channel up or down depending on the source material.

If the answer to my first question is negative, then am I better off to buy one of the less expensive Pioneer universals for audio only and then pair it with an ICBM? How is the audio performance of this configuration?

Thanks for your help!

David

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
If the answer to my first question is negative, then am I better off to buy one of the less expensive Pioneer universals for audio only and then pair it with an ICBM? How is the audio performance of this configuration?
Speaking only in terms of audio.....

I run a 45A w/ICBM and consider it to be an outstanding combination.

Be aware though the the 45A like just about every uni or combi player has an issue with low LFE levels. Search in this forum, there is tons of info.

If you are going to connect to a pre/pro or receiver with individual channel trims for the 6 CH input (separate from trims for sources decode within the pre/pro or receiver), you will likely be OK. If not, you are going to need to tweak the sub level when switching sources.

Side note: I think I have read that certain Denon receivers actually have a setting to compensate for this.

On the plus side, I have noted that the 45A handles different formats properly once the levels are calibrated. Using the Chesky Ultimate DVD's test tracks, I balanced using the 5.1 DVD-A tracks. When switching to the DD tracks on the DVD-V side of the same disc, the relative channel levels were still balanced (although overall level was about 4 dB lower.) So switching from one disc type to another does not require any adjustment.

BGL

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I am immediately attracted to the 2900 because I like Denon and this seems to be the simplest alternative. However, I have been reading about bass balance issues with the player. So my first question is: If I hook up the analog outputs for SACD/DVD-A and the coax/optical for DVD playback, am I going to run into problems? Once calibrated, I don't want to think about turning my bass channel up or down depending on the source material
I have this player I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the player as far as BM.It employs it [if selected] on every formats including CD,and performs great.Many of the people who "blasted" at it don't even own it.The internal test tone however is faulty[LFE],so use a DD/or DTS test disc like Avia,and be done with it.There are some DVD-A and SACD test discs out there but don't know how accurate they are.
I had an exstensive thread here,do a search with my name,or "Denon 2900 My review".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks