What's new

Ally McBeal - Complete Series scam help (1 Viewer)

LPMA

Auditioning
Real Name
LP Moisan
I just recently bought a set from eBay. The second I received it I knew the set was a fake just from the awful packaging. The discs are placed in a cardboard printout of the actual DVDs, with the racks pasted on the inside, covering the disc info printed on that side. My thoughts were confirmed when I realized the discs were single layer. Now the seller is claiming that this is a "new" version of the set, that they replaced the plastic boxes with cardboard because the plastic ones were getting damaged in transportation, which makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

I'm looking for some confirmation from people owning this set, namely sporting UPC 024543611615, that they don't come in cardboard sets. Also, any information regarding the different versions out there would be welcome.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Report it to Ebay and Paypal (if you used them) right away. I don't own the set so I can't comment on the packaging, but all the pictures I have seen use plastic cases (one per season) and include the soundtrack.

MattHR

Screenwriter
My set came with the traditional Amaray-style "snap" cases, and not the cardboard version you described. It's not uncommon for studios to change the style of packaging used for DVDs. Fox used three different styles for the first few seasons of 24.

I checked the completed auctions at ebay, and saw an Ally McBeal set being sold that matched your description. You said your discs were single-layer. Are their surfaces gold/silver (authentic/manufactured DVDs), or are they the blue/purple type found on home-made "burned" discs? If they are burned discs,report the transaction to ebay and PayPal immediately.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MattHR

My set came with the traditional Amaray-style "snap" cases, and not the cardboard version you described. It's not uncommon for studios to change the style of packaging used for DVDs. Fox used three different styles for the first few seasons of 24.

I checked the completed auctions at ebay, and saw an Ally McBeal set being sold that matched your description. You said your discs were single-layer. Are their surfaces gold/silver (authentic/manufactured DVDs), or are they the blue/purple type found on home-made "burned" discs? If they are burned discs,report the transaction to ebay and PayPal immediately.

True, it isn't uncommon for studios to repackage series, but Ally has only been out for a year. Also, the single season sets were just released with the same amaray snap cases as the complete series had. I can't see Fox going back and repackaging something so quickly. Most repackagings happen after a few years, not a few months.

Also, the upc code the OP listed does match the set I've got...and my set is plastic amaray cases, none of this cardboard crap. So, if it were a legitimate repackaging by Fox, wouldn't the UPC Code have changed?

LPMA

Auditioning
Real Name
LP Moisan
Thank you all for your help! The seller ended up giving me a full refund, while still claiming the set had been repackaged. He did claim that the plastic cases came with a set with a different UPC code, and as The Obsolete Man confirmed, that isn't the case. The reason he gave for repackaging was that FOX changed them after the amaray cases kept breaking in transportation. Obviously that makes no sense as a) the cardboard stuff they used is some of the cheapest, most badly printed and assembled crap I have ever seen and b) the amaray cases used in the recent FOX releases is probably one of the sturdiest type of cases I've seen out there. I've looked at the discs, and I honestly can't remember the color because I focused on the inside ring to see if it had any type of serial number, which obviously it didn't (however, it was written something like Ally McBeal Season 3 Disc 2).

Now I'm only waiting to know what will happen with the set. I'm definitely not going to pay for return shipping, and while the seller still claims that the set is 'authentic' (or rather 'licensed' is the word being used), I was told a representative from FOX distribution would be in contact to arrange for return shipping. I somehow doubt it'll ever happen...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks