What's new

Alliance.....is the quality of their DVD releases inferior? (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Well, we now have confirmation that the Alliance "Songs From the Second Floor" has a defect at approx. 4:33 (described as "loud screech ... Sounds like a transfer error.").. so the list is as follows:

Songs From the Second Floor

The Straight Story - one pan and scan version followed by a very poor quality Widescreen version.

Shallow Grave - theirs is Pan and scam, while the MGM and Ploygram in region 1 offer widescreen ( original aspect ratio)

Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner - we have proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt regardless of what Josh Dial states. Full comparison is HERE

The Adjuster is shown with its abundant flaws HERE

I won't include their "The Red Violin" because although it is Full Screen, it is also Open Matte.

Am looking for more examples (proof) before I contact them... saying "their Good Will Hunting" is anamorphic means nothing to me as I have numerous examples of inferior anamorphic transfers against non-anamorphic.

Thanks,

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The Straight Story - one pan and scan version followed by a very poor quality Widescreen version.
Gary,

Can you explain what is wrong with the Alliance Widescreen version?

I have the US release (which looks great) but a buddy of mine purchased the Alliance widescreen release - and I've never compared the two.

It's a favorite film of his and he may want to get the best release available.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
And, by the way, Alliance did release a widescreen "Straight Story" DVD. It would probably be best if you NEVER saw it. Not only is it poorly telecined, but the print they used is damaged and ridiculously dark (not to mention, the disc is horribly overpriced).

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ it's not that I don't trust his opinions, but is it possible for you to post comparisons? That would be great! :)

(by the way, it's priced like any other disc...it's not overpriced)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Gary, I just bought Alliance's version of The English Patient and apparently, they've replaced all their flippers with the US Miramax version (single sided, non-anamoprhic version).

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I am aware of that Tom, I have owned it for a few years... I have used the screen caps for my review located HERE. Click them to enlarge.

It is the same as the Miramax in the US... I think they just distribute it up here. Actually, almost all their acceptable stuff is licensed from someone else. The Canadian stuff they do is basically the worst.

For me to post a comparison of the Alliance The Straight Story (Disney vs. Alliance). I would have to own it (not a chance) or know someone who does... but most of my friends are not aware of AA and steer clear... I trust james, he is very HT literate...

Cheers,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

(by the way, it's priced like any other disc...it's not overpriced)
May I ask you a point blank question. Do you work for Alliance ? (or does a relative?)

I am curious as to why you are persistently (but pleasantly) defending them...

Thanks,

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'll borrow my friends Alliance version of The Straight Story and I'll do a screeshot comparison between it and my copy of the Disney release.

I'll post the screenshots sometime this week.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Quick question about Red Violin,

What's the deal...was it ever released in 16x9 WS by Universal or only 4x3?

I want 16x9 WS *and* DTS without any EE :D

-dave

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

um...defending Alliance? I am no more persistent in "defending" them than others are attacking them. I'm just pointing out the facts. The person said it's overpriced, it got me curious, I looked up the price, and told you that it's not. Simple as that. Since I'm interested in seeing the difference between the two versions of The Straight Story and would like to acquire the best possible version, I'm naturally interested in seeing how reliable the poster's comment is. Seeing how he exaggerated the price, it gives me some idea about his attitude towards the company...not that it makes the AA transfer better.

As I said earlier, I whole-heartedly agree with your analysis of the inferior titles you listed from AA. However, it seems that many people have decided to jump on the "hating-AA" bandwagon without seeing what good they have done for Canadian television/filmmaking. Alliance has contributed a lot and is very important in propelling the Canadian film industry (eg. the latest being the CBS's Hitler: Rise of Evil series). I just think that all these hatred towards the company for a few dvd titles without seeing their positive side is unfair. I am in no way affiliated with them...I'm just speaking out from my heart.

I will continue to buy AA products as long as they improve themselves (which looks like they are) and will continue to import US versions if they are indeed the superior versions. Like everyone else, I too want the best dvd out there. Afterall, you don't see me defending their bad releases do you? All I wanted to do is to clear this cloud of hatred surrounding this thread. :D

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Dave, regarding the Red Violin. There are 3 versions:

1. Alliance (Canadian) version. Stay away as it's inferior to others. Open Matte. No DTS.
2. Universal (US). 16x9 and has DTS. review
3. Lions Gate (US). Recently got back the right to the movie. Released a new 16x9 transfer, more detail, but slight EE and has subtitle problems. review

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
seeing what good they have done for Canadian television/filmmaking. Alliance has contributed a lot and is very important in propelling the Canadian film industry (eg. the latest being the CBS's Hitler: Rise of Evil series).
Tom, I apologize and don't want to be rude, but you didn't answer my question:

Do you work (or a relative) for Alliance Atlantis? ...

Thanks,

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ please read my whole post. I stated that in the last sentence of the second paragraph. :)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
"Like you stated, just pointing out the facts."

You quoted me on how I say it's not over-priced and questioned me why I'm defending them on this. I told you I just looked it up and are telling you that dvdsoon.com sells it for $26.98 CAD (about $19.50 US).

EDIT: thanks Mike. Hope this clears things up, Gary. :)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Michael Reuben... your input is always helpful and appreciated...

dvdsoon.com sells it for $26.98 CAD (about $19.50 US).
Perhaps James thought it was over-priced for what it was... personally I think Madacy discs are overpriced at $8 at Walmart.

I am helping Marc with The Straight Story comparison... I'm sure it will be posted here soon...

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks