Alliance.....is the quality of their DVD releases inferior?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dan Rudolph, May 18, 2003.

1. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

My understanding is that the Alliance Good Will Hunting is better than the US version. Same transfer, same extras, but 1 additional deleted scene. They don't always suck.

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig

3. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

It's by Lions Gate/TVA Films...not Alliance. Plus, just because Alliance has those 3 titles that are inferior to US release, doesn't mean they're the worst. They've since released a widescreen anamorphic version of The Straight Story...what's done is done. They can't really do anything about it.

At least they're improving. Other than those few titles, most of their other ones are identical to the US release...even with a few that are superior eg. eXistenZ, Good Will Hunting, Trainspotting, Far From Heaven (original cover).

I find it unfair to hold it against a company for what they did in the past. Most of those inferior titles were released a while ago. As for The Fast Runner, it was released half a year before the US release. AA is mainly a distributor and they don't have much resource as other studios...so to expect the best transfer from them is not fair. The fact that they actually spent the time and gave us some impressive extras is commendable. If Columbia had their transfer available at the time of the Alliance release, I'm quite sure AA would have tried to obtain the better transfer...but it wasn't, so I won't blame them.

4. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I have split this thread off so that some of you can continue this discussion without hijacking the original thread which was about the Canadian versus American dvd releases of "The Pianist".

Crawdaddy

7. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Thanks...Damin for those links...

the first says...

8. Tom Tsai

Gary, there's no excuses for Alliance's performance in the past. There's no argument about that and I value your comparisons a lot. What I am saying is that at least they're improving. That's what I believe is the most important thing. If a company continues to release subpar products, then they are to blame. However, Alliance has been consistently improving themselves.

Personally, I have no fears of buying new Alliance products because the majority of the time, it's identical to the US ones. As I stated earlier, the case with The Fast Runner is one of the rare situations where Alliance has to make their own transfer. Had Columbia Tristar not released their version later, we probably wouldn't be complaining right now...and I expected Columbia to come up with a better transfer. I would have been surprised if they didn't.

Anyways, I love your comparisons...I'm just saying that every company has a dud once in a while and Alliance is no different. The important thing is that they're improving...that's more than we can ask for in a company. I guess what they should have done is re-release those 3 movies in a superior form. They probably thought it's easy for us to buy the US version so there's no real point in doing so. I mean seriously though, out of their entire catalogue, these are the only 3 that I can find fault with. That's pretty good in my opinion.

Here are more comparisons that you requested:
    Good Will Hunting - DVD Launch eXistenZ - DVD Angle
    Far From Heaven:
    Alliance
    http://www.dvdsoon.com/servlet/image...80&quality=0.8

Universal
    [​IMG]
    The contents are identical, but I applaud them for sticking with the theatrical poster.

PS. I would love to see you do a comparison of The Straight Story (widescreen version). I only trust your picture quality comparisons [​IMG]

9. Tom Tsai

I would also like to add that the Alliance Atlantis version of The English Patient has an anamorphic transfer. The only complaint that people have is that it's a flipper and no extras (although some other reviews says there's a commentary so I don't know what to believe). But transfer wise, I heard the AA version is better....maybe you can do a comparison on this one too?

10. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Fair enough... can anyone comment on "The Songs from the 2nd Floor" by Alliance... we don't have anything to compare it to yet... but reports are bad...:

11. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

RE: The English Patient...REALLY ?

I knew there was a flipper out there... but I didn't know it had a commentary... I will look into this... thanks Tom !

Cheers,

12. Tom Tsai

^ I am not sure about the commentary. One site says NO EXTRAS, the other says YES...so I'm thinking no....

Maybe I'll pick up the disc soon and I can tell you guys....or maybe someone here has it?

13. Tom Tsai

here

I believe the site is WRONG. They even listed it as a snapper...which it is not. So I wouldn't get my hopes up about a commentary either. [​IMG]

14. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

15. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

The Alliance release of the Canadian-produced family film Virginia's Run is quite good--anamorphic widescreen and solid two-channel audio. There are no extras.

There's nothing to compare it to, because a U.S. release is probably at least a year away, although it will have extras.

16. Louis_P

Louis_P Stunt Coordinator

Alliance has screwed up a bunch of other releases too.Shallow Grave is in pan and scan only.The Mgm release is in Widescreen.How about the packaging they used for Pulp Fiction,Jackie Brown and Beatles Hard Day's Night.The worst thing I ever seen.They used a cheap plastic to hold the disks!!

17. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

18. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Alliance Atlantis:
    [​IMG]

Columbia Tri-Star:
    [​IMG]

I would like to respond fully to a posting from a person named Josh Dial located

HERE

This person says:

19. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

20. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer