All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Frezon, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'm late to the party on this one, but I just saw Moana for the first time last night. Loved the songs - I don't know how it didn't win the Oscar!

Jake Lipson likes this.
  2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Supporting Actor

I think it would have in a normal year if its competition had not been from a highly-regarded nominee in several other categories.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Supporting Actor

Here is a really interesting interview conducted yesterday with Alan Menken: .

The first part of it is mostly about A Bronx Tale in order to promote its cast album release, but he also ends up talking about his Disney projects in the works. I find particularly interesting that he is already working on new material for the Aladdin remake film, but will not name his lyricist collaborators because Disney is not naming them yet. Because Tim Rice was his writing partner on the original film, I had thought it would be obvious that they would go back to him for lyrics to any new material for the remake, but that's not something that Menken should have to play coy about "announcing" because Rice's involvement would be obvious. The fact that Menken didn't just say it was Tim Rice would seem to suggest that there might be other people involved.

New lyrics for the stage version of Aladdin were written by Chad Beguelin. He was writing the non-music script for the show as well, so presumably he got the job on the lyrics for ease and seamlessness. But I would not expect him to be involved in the remake film unless they're using songs written for the stage -- which they certainly could, since obviously Disney has the rights. But they didn't in Beauty and the Beast. Also, with all due respect to him since I think he is great, Mr. Beguelin is not as "famous" as Menken's comment would suggest his new collaborator is.

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    It could just be a matter of ongoing contract negotiations.

5. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    In case anyone is interested, there are 2 Cars 3 soundtracks supposedly going up for preorder today: Original Soundtrack and Original Score. Actual release day is June 16 (the movie comes out the same day).

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I have been meaning to post about this for awhile.

A couple months ago I was roaming through the media section at my local Barnes & Noble and stumbled on this disc which I hadn't ever heard of.

[​IMG]

I LOVE themed Disney compilation discs like these. And this one proved to be no exception. If you are a Disney music fan and like having some good jazz (not "lite" jazz) playing in the background while eating...or in the car...or even playing at a good volume for some critical listening...you CAN'T go wrong with this disc.

Not a clunker among the selections. Big thumbs up from me.

[​IMG]

The release has a copyright date of 2016 so it's been available awhile. I kinda hate that I'm not so closely in tune with what's going on at WDR any more (even though this is a Verve release). But in the old days I would have known all about this...way ahead of time!

But I've already got more than enough to keep me happy for the rest of my life. And it sorta makes a discovery like this all the more fun.

KPmusmag and Jake Lipson like this.
  7. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I've seen that CD in my online searches, Mike, and never gave it much thought. I'll have to add it to the list now that it has your thumbs up.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

But keep in mind ya gotta like jazz.

I have always loved other interpretations of the great songs from the animated features...and from the theme park attractions.

And I've got a ton of 'em in the collection.

9. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I have no problem at all with jazz. I'd like to find a good jazz club locally...but my better half isn't much of a fan. :)

10. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I did not expect this AT ALL (and I doubt anyone here did, either).

The Disney Music Emporium Facebook page just announced Robin Hood: Legacy Collection for July. They've been teasing it for a couple of days and somewhere I completely missed it.

No other details yet, but there is some handwringing on some sites about what will (and will not be included). Frankly, I choose to be hopeful it will be everything (songs and score).

Capture.PNG
    [​IMG]

KPmusmag likes this.
  11. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    This is great news, and, no, I wasn't expecting it. I do wish they would include the storyteller albums on these legacy releases. Robin Hood was one of my faves; listened to it over and over in 1973.