What's new

All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm late to the party on this one, but I just saw Moana for the first time last night. Loved the songs - I don't know how it didn't win the Oscar!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is a really interesting interview conducted yesterday with Alan Menken: .

The first part of it is mostly about A Bronx Tale in order to promote its cast album release, but he also ends up talking about his Disney projects in the works. I find particularly interesting that he is already working on new material for the Aladdin remake film, but will not name his lyricist collaborators because Disney is not naming them yet. Because Tim Rice was his writing partner on the original film, I had thought it would be obvious that they would go back to him for lyrics to any new material for the remake, but that's not something that Menken should have to play coy about "announcing" because Rice's involvement would be obvious. The fact that Menken didn't just say it was Tim Rice would seem to suggest that there might be other people involved.

New lyrics for the stage version of Aladdin were written by Chad Beguelin. He was writing the non-music script for the show as well, so presumably he got the job on the lyrics for ease and seamlessness. But I would not expect him to be involved in the remake film unless they're using songs written for the stage -- which they certainly could, since obviously Disney has the rights. But they didn't in Beauty and the Beast. Also, with all due respect to him since I think he is great, Mr. Beguelin is not as "famous" as Menken's comment would suggest his new collaborator is.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
In case anyone is interested, there are 2 Cars 3 soundtracks supposedly going up for preorder today: Original Soundtrack and Original Score. Actual release day is June 16 (the movie comes out the same day).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have been meaning to post about this for awhile.

A couple months ago I was roaming through the media section at my local Barnes & Noble and stumbled on this disc which I hadn't ever heard of.

full

I LOVE themed Disney compilation discs like these. And this one proved to be no exception. If you are a Disney music fan and like having some good jazz (not "lite" jazz) playing in the background while eating...or in the car...or even playing at a good volume for some critical listening...you CAN'T go wrong with this disc.

Not a clunker among the selections. Big thumbs up from me.

full

The release has a copyright date of 2016 so it's been available awhile. I kinda hate that I'm not so closely in tune with what's going on at WDR any more (even though this is a Verve release). But in the old days I would have known all about this...way ahead of time!

But I've already got more than enough to keep me happy for the rest of my life. And it sorta makes a discovery like this all the more fun.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've seen that CD in my online searches, Mike, and never gave it much thought. I'll have to add it to the list now that it has your thumbs up.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But keep in mind ya gotta like jazz.

I have always loved other interpretations of the great songs from the animated features...and from the theme park attractions.

And I've got a ton of 'em in the collection.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have no problem at all with jazz. I'd like to find a good jazz club locally...but my better half isn't much of a fan. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I did not expect this AT ALL (and I doubt anyone here did, either).

The Disney Music Emporium Facebook page just announced Robin Hood: Legacy Collection for July. They've been teasing it for a couple of days and somewhere I completely missed it.

No other details yet, but there is some handwringing on some sites about what will (and will not be included). Frankly, I choose to be hopeful it will be everything (songs and score).

Capture.PNG

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I did not expect this AT ALL (and I doubt anyone here did, either).

The Disney Music Emporium Facebook page just announced Robin Hood: Legacy Collection for July. They've been teasing it for a couple of days and somewhere I completely missed it.

No other details yet, but there is some handwringing on some sites about what will (and will not be included). Frankly, I choose to be hopeful it will be everything (songs and score).

View attachment 38321

This is great news, and, no, I wasn't expecting it. I do wish they would include the storyteller albums on these legacy releases. Robin Hood was one of my faves; listened to it over and over in 1973.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So glad to see the Legacy Collection finally being resumed, even if it is with Robin Hood (which I watched recently on Netflix and did not hold up to my childhood memories at all.)

Hopefully they also do Aladdin this year (which is -- gulp I feel old -- at 25), and they should also go ahead and go back and do Beauty and the Beast since they missed its anniversary last year. Even though I just bought the live-action film soundtrack, I would buy the animated one in a second.

Also, the release of two separate soundtracks for Cars when one of them only has 8 tracks smacks of a shameless money grab. However, I am glad to see Randy Newman returning to this franchise on the score after Michel Giacchino did the second one. Michael does good work, but this reinforces the sense I'm getting that the new film will be more akin to the first one than the disaster that was the second.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I thought the same thing about Cars, Jake...but I think that one is going for $6 or $7 right now. I preordered both for a total of $17. I won't argue with that too much...

A poster on Facebook did mention the Legacy discs went away because of Shanghai Disney budget cuts. I can't confirm that, so take it as a wild rumor at this point.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Amazon didn't have the track listings, but I found them on soundtrack.net:

20845.jpg

1. Storm's Winning Streak 1:21
2. When All Your Friends Are Gone / Crash 3:44
3. Doc's Painful Demise 1:25
4. Mater on the Horn 0:28
5. Sistine Chapel on Wheels 1:05
6. Temple of Rust-eze 1:25
7. A Career on a Wall / Electronic Suit 3:20
8. Drip Pan 1:11
9. McQueen's Wild Ride 2:05
10. Biggest Brand in Racing 3:10
11. Fireball Beach 2:15
12. Pull Over, Now! / Cruz's Racing Dreams 1:59
13. 1.2% 1:21
14. If This Track Could Talk 2:32
15. Letters About You 2:02
16. Smokey Starts Training / A Blaze of Glory 5:56
17. Starting Dead Last 1:41
18. Flashback & Pit Stop 3:32
19. Through the Pack 3:41
20. Victory Lane 3:50
21. The Fabulous Lightning McQueen 2:08
Total Album Time: 50:11

20844.jpg

1. Run That Race (Dan Auerbach) 2:43
2. Kings Highway (James Bay) 3:07
3. Truckaroo (Brad Paisley) 2:36
4. Thunder Hollow Breakdown (Brad Paisley) 4:49
5. Glory Days (Andra Day) 4:07
6. Ride – ZZ Ward (feat. Gary Clark Jr.) 4:03
7. Drive My Car (Jorge Blanco) 2:42
8. Freeway of Love (Lea DeLaria) 4:30
Total Album Time: 28:37

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A poster on Facebook did mention the Legacy discs went away because of Shanghai Disney budget cuts.

I understand that you are only the messenger on this rumor, but that makes no sense. Walt Disney Records presumably has its own budget separate from Shanghai Disney, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with soundtrack releases as far as I know. In any case, why they went away is moot, as long as they are coming back and don't go away again.

As far as Cars is concerned, I will wait until I see the film to judge whether I want the soundtrack(s) or not on this one. The spectre of Cars 2 is too great; I just can't commit to buying merchandise for a film which I may or may not like.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Totally with you, Jake. I asked for clarification and haven't gotten anything back. The reasoning doesn't pass the smell test for me...but in case anyone had extra info, I figured I had to share it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think it is clear that the Legacy Collection was originally planed as a 14-title set, and that is what we got originally in 2014 and 2015. However, what doesn't make sense is why Disney wouldn't have considered those initial titles as successful enough to continue the series before this point. With the possible exception of Song of the South, Disney has never NOT released something that would make them money. So, they really should continue this.

Also, for those interested, it's worth noting that the professionally filmed version of the Newsies Broadway musical is out today -- on digital HD from all the usual digital retailers. Unfortunately, there has been no word yet on a Blu-ray release. It's really good, but I'm going to hold out for a disc.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
More info on Robin Hood:

Also available for the first time will be Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection Robin Hood two-disc set. The Robin Hood Collection features the songs and score from the film on Disc 1, plus previously unreleased demos, and bonus tracks performed by Louis Prima on Disc 2. Also included are extensive liner notes by Disney historian and writer Paula Sigman-Lowery. The CD cover and 20-page booklet feature newly created artwork inspired by Robin Hood from Lorelay Bove, a visual development artist at Walt Disney Animation Studios (Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, Wreck-It Ralph). A limited quantity of lithographs featuring the back cover artwork designed by Bove will be a gift with purchase.

I am trying to figure out if I can make it to D23 this year. Right now, I'm planning on being in Anaheim during that week...we'll see.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I gotta agree that I didn't foresee the return of the Legacy Collection series.

Excellent news.

But I also gotta admit that Robin Hood is not high on my priority list. While the old school Disney Music completist is tugging at my heartstrings, I think I'll likely pass. There just won't be enough on their to capture my interest...although the idea of Louis Prima doing some song demos is something I don't ever recall hearing about before. So, I never say never...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Without a doubt, Mike. Robin Hood was never on my radar and is easily in the bottom half of animated Disney movies for me. However, if this title is getting the LC treatment, I am super hopeful other titles are coming.

(I will be picking this up...I can't stand having an incomplete collection of anything...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks