All Things Disney Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Frezon, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
  2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I have one of these. I can't believe they are on eBay for over $75-$80!! :eek:

[​IMG]

Rodney and Jake Lipson like this.
  3. JoelA

JoelA Cinematographer

Joel Arndt
    Thanks for the heads up regarding the Legacy edition of Dave Digs Disney. Yes, there have been some wonderful jazz interpretations of Disney over the years.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

See, Rodney? I've been helping Joel spend HIS money, too! :laugh:

By the way Joel, when I was near my Disney CDs the other day, I saw another Jazz disc that is a must-have. It is called Beauty and the Beast by The Jazz Networks.

Great musicianship (among the players is Roy Hargrove). From the mid-90s.

Here's a taste and once you go to this YT page, you'[ll come across the other tracks from the CD:

Jake Lipson likes this.
  5. 325 Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    JoelA

JoelA Cinematographer

Joel Arndt
    LOL! And you're doing an excellent job of it I might add.;)

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Jake, I think you asked elsewhere about the Cars 3 CD's. I just got in from the movie and was able to go through the soundtrack CD.

This will be non-spoilery and not movie-based...just observations on the soundtrack.

First, I have no idea why this couldn't have been one CD. The score is under an hour; the soundtrack is a half hour. Surely it could have all fit on one disc.

Second, as for content...the songs are okay. I am heavily partial to the Cars soundtrack with songs like Find Yourself, Life is a Highway and Route 66. They seem more catchy to me, but that can be with the benefit of time. These tracks don't remind me of the movie aside from Run That Race.

Third, I wonder about the choice of artists. The only one I recognize is Brad Paisley. Sure, he is a staple of this series; I'm just not there with his tracks.

It's under $7 on Amazon right now. For the casual listener, I wouldn't spend the money. For the completist, sure, get it. The $7 hopefully won't break the bank. The score is $10, meaning for under $20 (the normal price of a movie of CD) you can have both sets of music.

Speaking of...the Robin Hood Legacy Collection set is on Amazon for preorder. They have the street date as August 4, which makes sense. D23 isn't until early July and that's where the set will be available first. Price right now is $19.98, which also makes sense in context of the series. I have it preordered in case I can't snag a copy somewhere in Anaheim when I'm there on D23 week.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    Thanks for the report, Jason. I agree that the first Cars soundtrack is pretty terrific. Unfortunately, I didn't like the third film enough -- and didn't find the music memorable enough either -- to feel the need to buy these CDs.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well...I thought I had a better picture than this...but I think I am actually remembering a shot of me taken in some 8mm home movies that were shot during our trip to Queens.

So, maybe someday I'll be able to show a small clip from that.

But in the meantime, here's a few quick images from June, 1964.

You can't really see the fabulous blue felt hat with the big pink feather...but, here goes:

[​IMG]

That's my sister (ten years old at the time) and me (5-years old) just after arriving. No hat yet.

[​IMG]

We saw Mickey at one of my favorite attractions!

[​IMG]

And there's the hat(!) in glorious faded black and white. I'll have to dig up those home movies and figure out how to link to a clip here sometime down the road. I believe this exhibit had something to do with the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln exhibit.

Don't worry. I'm gonna put away the family photo album now! :D

9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    It is worth noting that today is the 20th anniversary of the original theatrical release of Hercules in 1997.

I feel old now.

But my point, in bringing it up in this thread, is: where the hell is the Legacy Collection edition of that score? The Lion King (20th), Pocahontas (20th) and The Little Mermaid (25th) Legacy editions arrived in the month of their anniversaries.

While I'm glad they are at least reopening the Legacy Collection with Robin Hood in August, I would much rather have Hercules than Robin Hood. And I already own the original Hercules soundtrack -- as opposed to Robin Hood, which I do not own -- and I'd still rather have Hercules.

I hope Disney does not waste this opportunity to give us Hercules at some point later this year. Not to mention Aladdin, which will hit its 25th anniversary in November.

10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
  11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'd snatch up a Legacy release of Hercules without thinking twice. LOVE that score and nearly all the main songs in the film.

WDW had a GREAT Hercules parade at the Disney-MGM Studios shortly after the film's release.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And it would sit nicely alongside the other Hercules OSTs in my collection :D :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jake Lipson likes this.
  13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    Speaking of Hercules, the Broadway news seems to have fans in a frenzy, and this footage of the original recording sessions was recently uploaded to YouTube.

Why couldn't stuff like this have shown up on the Blu-ray? Just saying.

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Great stuff!

Why not, indeed? And they must have better, cleaner well-edited versions of this stuff.

I know ABC News' 20/20 program did a HUGE piece on Beauty and the Beast back near its release. They showed TONS of stuff...including the storyboard meetings. I'd love to see that again, too, someday.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    Oh, I totally agree with that, Mike. Disney has tons of vintage stuff in their vaults which would take very little effort to release as supplements because they are already done and don't have to be newly made.

However, at least Beauty and the Beast has been given quality treatment on DVD and Blu a number of times, and what is on there is quite good.

As you probably know since I'm sure you have it, Hercules has one of the leanest supplemental slates for any Disney animated classic. Clements and Musker have done (very good, I might add) audio commentaries for The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Treasure Planet, The Princess and the Frog and Moana, and I expect they would probably be happy to record one for Hercules, but Disney doesn't appear to have asked for one. When the movie finally made its way to Blu in 2014, there was nothing on it that suggested any reason it should have taken so long to arrive on the format

If Disney were to correct this egregious oversight, I would double dip for a fully-loaded edition of this title in a second But as the major studios rarely seem to care about putting time and effort into catalog titles these days, I'm not holding my breath.

16. 336 Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    Also, Mike, what are all of those other Hercules CDs? The Spanish dub, and...? The only one that I own is the regular English one that came out in 1997.

17. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Just checking in here after two days at DLR. We were ableto watch the Main Street Electrical Parade. Snagged the soundtrack too.

The track listing for Robin Hood was released yesterday, IIRC, from D23. I haven't actually gone through it yet to see how it compares to the original release...

Jake Lipson likes this.
  18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

No Spanish.

English, UK, French, Canadian-French, and Netherlands (Dutch).

19. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Screenwriter

Jake Lipson
    How is English UK different than the US English one?

And where did you get all of those?

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Just what you see on the back cover images: the UK version included five "pop" versions of some of the songs that aren't included on the US version (Boyzone, Jocelyn Brown, Ricky Martin and Belinda Carlysle).

As for where I got 'em? It's been a long time since I was heavy into the collecting end of things. But the usual suspects: eBay and shops in other countries. Also, I was actively trading with people in other countries.

Before I came to the HTF in '01...I was supremely active on a Disney Music Discussion Forum called "Magic Music of the Mouse." The site is still in operation...but is currently a shell of its former self. It is also under new ownership and has had a couple of platform changes...losing a lot of its older threads.

Jake Lipson likes this.