What's new

Alita: Battle Angel (2019) (1 Viewer)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
What a terrible thing to say about both Rodríguez and the actress in this current climate:thumbsdown:

Completely and totally uncalled for no matter what you thought of the film.

Sorry, the film brought out the worst in me. I just needed to vent.

(Besides, the remark was meant as a not-so-subtle reference to Rodriguez's extramarital affair with his star, Rose McGowan, on the set of PLANET TERROR.)

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What a terrible thing to say about both Rodríguez and the actress in this current climate:thumbsdown:

Completely and totally uncalled for no matter what you thought of the film.
For me, it illustrates an anger that invalidates his critique of the movie.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
For me, it illustrates an anger that invalidates his critique of the movie.

I felt that way initially when I read it. But after a little time has passed, I can see it was just a poor choice of words (and only at the end). Who among us hasn't done this?

While I completely disagree with his assessment of the film, I think he was plenty articulate in expressing his views up to that point.

We all make mistakes.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I agree with everyone about the sleeping comment. It's a completely out of place and vile thing to say. Quite surprised moderators have not removed it yet. Especially in this forum and in 2019.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with everyone about the sleeping comment. It's a completely out of place and vile thing to say. Quite surprised moderators have not removed it yet. Especially in this forum and in 2019.
I thought it was a disdainful comment regarding a celebrity that has been admonish by others. I don't think there is a need to do anything else whether it's 2019 or not.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought it was a disdainful comment regarding a celebrity that has been admonish by others. I don't think there is a need to do anything else whether it's 2019 or not.
Yeah, it’s a timeless statement. It’s tasteless today and will be 20 years from now.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Early Chines boxoffice analysis courtesy Deadline

Fox/Lightstorm’s Alita: Battle Angeltook the fight to China today with an estimated $19.8M opening Friday. That includes $1M in limited Thursday midnights. An opening in the $50M zone had been expected, then buzz increased this week. With Friday’s start, the full frame is now looking at a three-day upwards of $60M. The international box officetotal on Alita is $115M through Thursday and worldwide it’s at $163.7M (this does not include China).

cameron-cixin-vcg.jpg

VCG
Alita is the first Hollywood movie in China following the Lunar New Year holiday rush on local titles which has blanketed the past few weeks. The Robert Rodriguez-directed, James Cameron-produced adaptation got a boost on Monday when the filmmakers and talent visited Beijing. Cameron is revered in the Middle Kingdom and was greeted at a press conference by such local directors as Zhang Yimou, Wuershan and The Wandering Earth‘s Frant Gwo. In a smart stroke of synergy, Cameron sat for a Q&A with Liu Cixin — the author of The Wandering Earth‘s source novella — and highly praised the resulting blockbuster film. He was also interviewed by that film’s director.

If Alita has a competitor this weekend, it’s New Year holdover The Wandering Earth. A sci-fi epic, the phenomenon is the No. 2 film ever in the market and has grossed $621M through today. However, Alita is expected to dominate with strong buzz and as Wandering Earth has already had 18 days of release.

Alita
has an 8.9 score on ticketing platform Maoyan and a 7.6 on reviews aggregator Douban. That’s below Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One from last year which had an 8.7 Douban rating, but word of mouth is strong. The films have similar underdog vs The Man themes, and a hope would be to see Alitaemulate the success that RP1 enjoyed in 2018 when it bowed to $61.7M and cumed over $218M in the Middle Kingdom. That included an extended run with the film also tapping into video game culture. Alita has some runway ahead before Captain Marvel takes flight on March 8.

Overall, Asia is the big driver on the expensive Alita which comes with a reported $170M cost before P&A — or as Cameron recently put it, a “battle-cruiser class of budgets.” Fox did well to release it early in many SE Asia markets in order to tap into the Chinese New Year holidays with an initial weekend of $32M two frames ago.

This past weekend, the Rosa Salazar-starrer added another $56.8M in 86 markets, coming in higher than expected. It also outperformed tracking domestically, though overseas was always the play here and the film will rely on international to carry the bulk of the box office. Sources believe Alita is eyeing a global tally above $400M, though it remains a tough break-even proposition and only recoups 25% of Chinese turnstiles. Still, if Cameron has his way, sequels could certainly be afoot. The director told Reuters, “If people show up, we’re definitely going to do at least one more if not two. It’s mapped out for three in total.”

With Friday’s estimates, China immediately becomes to top overseas market on Alita, edging out Korea which has grossed $15.5M through today. Also bowing this weekend is Japan, the birthplace of author Yukito Kishiro’s manga source material Gunnm. With the film in previews there last weekend, some avid fans had already seen it in a cinema as many as four times.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Alita China Update. Deadline.

Fox/Lightstorm’s Alita: Battle Angelcame out fighting in China this weekend, touching down with a $62.3 million debut, per Fox’s estimates. The figure is even higher — at $64.8M — according to local reporting. Whichever way the dust settles, this is Fox’s biggest opening of all time in the Middle Kingdom as well as a new February Imax record.

In total this session, Alita winged to another estimated $92.4M across 82 markets to lift the international box office cume to $202.7M. She is currently pacing 3% above Ready Player One and 64% over The Maze Runner in like-for-like markets and at today’s exchange rates. After a 58% drop domestically this weekend, the Robert Rodriguez-helmed sci-fi fantasy has grossed $263.3Mglobally (using the Fox estimates; actuals will be updated early in the week). A worldwide finish above $400M is expected

More here. https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-...d-global-international-box-office-1202563648/

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I was able to see the movie in IMAX 3D. I had great seats in an almost empty theater (matinee). I am not familiar with the source material but the movie look and environments gave me an anime feeling. I was totally engrossed in the flick and enjoyed it thoroughly. I wouldn't mind it it was longer ...
just to see her revenge with Nova. I suppose it was implied but I would have enjoyed the payoff.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was able to see the movie in IMAX 3D. I had great seats in an almost empty theater (matinee). I am not familiar with the source material but the movie look and environments gave me an anime feeling. I was totally engrossed in the flick and enjoyed it thoroughly. I wouldn't mind it it was longer ...
just to see her revenge with Nova. I suppose it was implied but I would have enjoyed the payoff.
I think what was implied was "to be continued."

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I really liked at lot of this movie and Salazar did an awesome job overcoming some of the uncanny valley issues. The biggest problem with the movie was Hugo - he was boring and unconvincing and even worse, he had zero chemistry with Alita. That made all of the scenes based on their relationship fall flat. On top of that, some of the world building felt hacky, and Hugo's friends came off as corny, like something out of Spy Kids. The street motorball sequence had a heavy Spy Kids vibe.

I thought the motorball sequences were very good and did not monopolize the movie like I had read. But this movie is elevated by Salazar - her physicality really got across an anime vibe and I bought in to her presence. I'll definitely watch this again

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I saw this again on Monday night, this time in IMAX 3-D. My last viewing was in Dolby 3-D. The film held up remarkably well on a second viewing and I caught a lot of things that I missed the first time.

The Dolby 3-D presentation was superior to the IMAX 3-D both in terms of visual detail and sound. The 3-D backgrounds were noticeably more detailed in Dolby. In the sound department, it was no contest as the Atmos sound was stunning. Still, the IMAX 3-D is no slouch and was pretty stellar. I'm referring to the standard IMAX screens, not the laser projected. It's quite possible that the laser IMAX would best everything else, but the closest laser is 3 hours away from me in Chicago.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was going to see this a second time, but I just discovered that all of the NYC Dolby Cinema locations have switched from showing this in 3D to showing it exclusively in 2D. I have no desire to see the film in 2D, so I guess I’m done.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was going to see this a second time, but I just discovered that all of the NYC Dolby Cinema locations have switched from showing this in 3D to showing it exclusively in 2D. I have no desire to see the film in 2D, so I guess I’m done.
It's the same in Mid-Michigan, no 3-D showings.

Edit: The nearest IMAX theater still has two 3-D showings each day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks