What's new

Alita: Battle Angel (2019) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, considering Avatar 3 is years away and then he'll take years off and then do two more Avatar and then take years off and then do an Alita sequel, he'll need to live a very long time. However, if anyone can live to 130, it's Jim Cameron.

When is the next "Avatar" due? I assumed 2 years after "Water".

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
And since the movie is basically finished shooting, I'm thinking that they'll be able to finish the effects on time and they won't hit a year long delay (a la what happened with the second movie). Hopefully. :laugh:

So I'm confused why you said "A3" is "years away" when it's due in barely 1.5 years.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I won't be holding my breath for Cameron to direct a Battle Angel Alita sequel. He is too obsessed with making Avatar films to bother with BA: Alita.

It's too bad, because I would rather see a new Alita film than another dried out Avatar film.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Since I can't read the linked story, is there any good reason given as to why Robert Rodriguez would not be a desirable director choice? He did a pretty good job with the first Alita. What gives?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems to be a Bob Iger directive. Apparently the only way Disney will support Alita 2 is if Cameron directs. I suppose they think it will boost the box office.

This report comes via World of Reel. As they’ve shared, “Bob Iger has made it clear that the only way this will happen is if Cameron directs it himself and not original director Robert Rodriguez.”

It’s worth noting that James Cameron was initially attached to direct Alita: Battle Angel himself. But after becoming busy due to his work on Avatar and other such projects, Robert Rodriguez took over as director. As such, it would certainly be interesting if Cameron himself were to finally take on the project even if it was a sequel.

Though World of Reel also notes that Alita: Battle Angel 2 is far from the only project on his slate. Cameron is said to be directing an adaptation of Last Train from Hiroshima in between work on Avatar 3 and Avatar 4. As such, he could still choose to do that film instead, though he’s still “considering taking up Iger’s offer” regarding the Alita sequel.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough but "1.5 years" is still more than one year away. :laugh:

Yes, but to = "years", it needs to be at least 2! ;)

Anyway, I thought you implied a very long stretch until "A3". 2 years between films is nothing - used to be 3 years between sequels was the standard for tentpoles!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I won't be holding my breath for Cameron to direct a Battle Angel Alita sequel. He is too obsessed with making Avatar films to bother with BA: Alita.
Since we're talking about the movie here, I think you mean Alita: Battle Angel... ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Seems to be a Bob Iger directive. Apparently the only way Disney will support Alita 2 is if Cameron directs. I suppose they think it will boost the box office.

That makes a certain amount of sense. Although the film has its share of fans, grossing $400 million against a $200 million budget (with probably an equal amount spent on advertising) means that the first one wasn’t profitable. Most of that gross came from international markets; the demand for a sequel certainly wasn’t here domestically.

Cameron has a nearly unbroken string of delivering contenders for “the highest grossing film of all time” each time he makes a movie; Rodriguez does not. While I tend to doubt that Cameron could somehow make audiences more interested in this story, he’s made enough money for studios that want to be in the James Cameron business that they’re more likely to give him a shot at it. But I also suspect they know it’s an offer he’s likely not to pursue.

For better or worse, any chance of a sequel probably evaporated when the $200 million production had a $28 million opening weekend in February 2019. It sunk quickly at the box office and evidenced none of the staying power that Cameron films are noted for. If the sources on the site are correct that Iger even made an offer for a sequel, it sounds more like a courtesy offer to the man that just made them an extra billion and not something either side seriously intends to pursue.

Interestingly, Cameron as producer doesn’t have a particularly great track record at the box office compared to Cameron as director. Strange Days, Terminator: Dark Fate, Alita all failed to catch on in the way their studios hoped for.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Interestingly, Cameron as producer doesn’t have a particularly great track record at the box office compared to Cameron as director. Strange Days, Terminator: Dark Fate, Alita all failed to catch on in the way their studios hoped for.
All pretty good movies, though, especially Strange Dys, which I always felt was vastly underrated.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The films he produced are more interesting than some of the films he has directed, especially Strange Days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks