What's new

ALIEN QUADRILOGY discussion thread (including all the glitches) (1 Viewer)

Tiago_J

Stunt Coordinator
I've been searching for answers to a particular issue in this thread but so far no success.

Thing is, as some of you know, while the R1 version of this collection features two commentary tracks per movie (one for each cut) the same does no apply to the ones outside R1 with, according to DVDCompare, commentaries only for Alien TC, Aliens SE, Alien3 TC and AR: TC. I wanted to ask to those who own the R1 edition if there are any differences between the comentaries for the TC and alternate cut of each movie, particularly Alien3 (big difference in running times).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Technically, there's only one commentary track per film in the Region 1 set, edited depending on which particular version of a film you're watching.

Originally, Charlie de Lauzirika had planned for multiple commentaries for each movie, but when he got a look at the bit-rates coming back from the DVD authoring team, his colon spasticized, and he was forced to pare them down to single, edited tracks. We may see the restored, unexpurgated versions down the road with BluRay or whatever, but for moment, these commentaries are the best compromise he could deliver.

Tiago_J

Stunt Coordinator
So basically the commentary for Alien3's assembly cut is the same as for the TC only, uh, differently paced? Do they both have the exact same information?

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The branched commentary isn't used to great effect on Alien and Aliens IMO, but it's put to good use on Alien3.

Example: You get Woodruff and Gillis talking for a good few minutes over (and about) the ox-burster sequence in the Extended cut, but if you listen in or around the dog-burster scene in the Theatrical edit you'll hear completely different commentary from those two.

It's a VERY cool feature, one that isn't on the European set and I don't think it's on the Japanese edition either.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Sorry for the bump but I feel this should be brought to attention. My Audigy 2 ZS glitches up when decoding the DTS track on Alien. It doesn't give any audio and the video stutters as well. Surprisingly though if I switch the audio decoder to my software's it works fine. Any help please?

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I have the same problem with Alien DTS track and my Yamaha receiver.
I have a Canadian R1 version of Alien combined with a European RX-V1400
and that seems to cause this problem.
The Pioneer DVD player seems to have no problem with it since
my Sony receiver handles it properly.
Never happened with any other DTS track.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm trying to contact Fox but apparently the email address The Bits lists is no longer active. Anybody have updated contact information?

RickardL

Supporting Actor
By the way, has anybody seen any detailed listing of what is different
between the two versions of Alien? Eaxctly what is trimmed, inserted, deleted?
And at what time?

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Thanks, I had forgotten about the marker. I recall I had it on when I
watched it with the audio commentary.
imdb has alternate versions listed but is not that detailed in chapters/minutes/secs.

I am curious how an "extended" version would look like,
basically the theatrical cut plus all new/extended/enhanced scenes
from the directors cut.
I wish it was possible to re-edit the seemless branching on the dvd
so you could make you own "cut".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

Just wanted to check in on the PQ of Aliens. I'm watching a lot of DVD's on a new plasma and an older non-upconvert player.

In reviewing Aliens for the first time on the new TV, I am finally seeing all the film grain you all have commented on in much greater amounts. But the area that I was looking for validation on is the transfer quality. This is in regards to artifacting (uncertain the correct term, MPEG compression?) I am seeing, whether it's the DVD or the player. What I see is a minor, but annoying amount of "smearing". Most noticable due to Cameron's close-ups on Weaver's face, when there's little motion, I see the fine lines and pores on the faces blur. Particularly noticable when Burke and Gorman visit Ripley at her apartment. Also noticed some on Vasquez face too.

I decided I had to compare it to the Alien disc. I am assuming that the majority opinion is that Ridley Scott's transfer is superior. I am aware of past postings that Cameron's film is what it is due to film stock and I thought artistic choice. Even the use of the 185 aspect ratio. Alien does look terrific, greater contrast, even color is much livelier. Again, my guess is the muted color of Aliens was Cameron's choice.

I have a feeling we'll see new transfers soon.:)

Jim C

Second Unit
Agreed. I have read numerous statements that Cameron purposely opted for a film stock that would give high levels of grain. The movie was simply shot this way. I'm not all for excessive grain personally - I find it distracts from my viewing pleasure.

I watched Alien the other day - great transfer for a film of this age. Really wish they would have removed the dirt from the transfer during the opening title scene. There are several large specs present that pan with the shot as the ALIEN title is revealed. Again, just a little distracting for me, but on the whole, it's a cracking transfer.

Now, if only we can get these on Blu-ray disc soon. Along with Blade Runner, this is what I am looking forward to the most on HD-DVD and BD.

And it would also be nice to have the complete special edition assembly cut of Alien 3, with all the scenes that they left off the quadrilogy release reinstated (there are quite a few, trust me). I think the special edition of A3 may have been compromised due to the mandate to provide both cuts via seemless branching - but I could be wrong there. There is still quite alot of footage that hasn't been seen from the film.

I'm hoping a real big release of all the Alien films on BD with substantial extras (including Charlie's original uncut documentary for A3) is on the cards - although I'm sure it's a while off yet.

Regards
JC

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
Th grain in Aliens is suitable, in my opinion, it suits the rough, often-handheld Vietnam-in-space style that Cameron was going for. As for the close-ups--notice that only the female closeups are softer? Thats probably a softening filter used to shot close-ups of the female leads.

As for Alien 3, there is indeed at least fifteen minutes of extra material, some of it larger, most of it smaller, that can be seen on the old workprint bootleg. However, the SE of Alien 3 was not the workprint--it was an attempt to re-construct Fincher's directors cut. Since he would not co-operate himself, basically disowning the film, they used his notes and his latest version of the edit, which supercedes the older workprint bootleg, so there are some major differences.

Actually, there are a few variations of the deleted scens of Alien that are not included on the disk--you have to watch the Laserdisk preservation on Disk 9 (ie the creature attacking lambert, the original cocoon edit, the original transmission sound effect--which i think is much better).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. The grain is not an issue, I understand the reasons.

Actually on the close-ups, what I refer to as "smearing" can also be described as if watching on an older LCD, when there's motion, and the LCD can't refresh fast enough. Thougn in my case, that's not the issue, I am curious if it's the transfer. I don't see these artifacts on Alien. Though I have yet to see Alien 3 and 4.

I also plan on an upconvert player soon, so maybe that will produce a more pleasing image!

Jim C

Second Unit
The special edition edit on the quadrilogy cut is based on Terry Rawlings and Fincher's initial first assembly that was put together shortly after the film was shut down at Pinewood (and before the additional filming that took place in December of 1991). There never was a director's cut on this film. Fox started making mandates to the editing of the film as soon as the long 3 hour cut was screened for the studio brass. The widely available bootleg version of the workprint was put together long after the first assembly was completed and also after the additional filming/reshoots took place. :)

I would just like to see the most complete version of the film as it was shot, with scenes/shots/extentions included that are known to exist, but are not on the quadriliogy cut (some as seen in the workprint bootleg, others that have been confirmed to have been shot by cast & crew). If Fox had given the permission to have the special edition cut of A3 presented on a disc of it's own, then maybe we could have had a more complete version of the assembley cut. I just think compromises were made to facilitate both the theatrical and special edition versions on the same disc via seamless branching.

Of course none of this takes away from the fact that the special edition of A3 on the Quad set is a revalation, that at one point I never dreamed would see the light of day, and I'll always be grateful to Fox, Charlie and his team for going beyond the call of duty to put this together for us. In fact, the Quad set remains the most viewed of all the discs in my DVD collection.

If such an oportunity ever happens again on DVD/BD, then it would be nice to have these missing elements reinstated, providing the ultimate and most complete version of A3 available.

Regards
JC

Jim C

Second Unit
Hi Nelson :) You must check out 3 & 4 as well. The quality of the transfer on A3 is the best on the set imo. In fact, all the transfers are a vast improvement over the ones contained in the Legacy set. As for Aliens, I'm prety sure there is no problem with the transfer. As Mike mentions, it's the style and look Cameron was after.

I think you will see some improvements when you get a player that upcoverts to 720p/1080i/p. I sure noticed a vast difference myself. Now I have a HD-DVD and BD player, I'm chomping at the bit to get these films in HD. I think there are rumours that we might at least get Alien on BD later this year :)

Regards
JC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks