What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Alan Arkin RIP (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Great actor and he gave an excellent performance in Popi which i viewed for the first time way back in the late 1970's when i was a kid on my local tv station. Rest In Peace.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My first time seeing him in a movie was 1966 at the Merritt theater watching him play a Russian in The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming.

"Whittaker Walt..."

That was the first movie I remember seeing him in, too.

My father loved him -- even liked him more than Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau.

I wonder if this helped Indicator sell more copies of Little Murders in their last day selling off their Fox titles.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
The In-Laws was the movie that introduced me to this remarkable actor. While I unfortunately haven't seen all his movies I think the best thing I can say about Mr. Arkin is he never mailed it in. He usually was always memorable even in the Jerky Boys movie! May he RIP.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Alan Arkin was great in so many films and TV shows. It might be one of his lesser known works, but when news of his passing broke, it was the first thing that came to my mind...the 1978 CBS telefilm The Defection of Simas Kudirka, with Donald Pleasence, Richard Jordan, Shirley Knight et al...based on an incredible (and shameful) true story, and another brilliant Alan Arkin performance as a Soviet seaman who asked for political asylum on a US Coast Guard vessel during a fisheries inspection in US territorial waters...after a standoff, he was forcefully and shamefully returned to the Soviet vessel to be imprisoned! An International incident that soon became big news at the time.

1688298092704.png

1688298197958.png

1688298131330.png

1688298247914.png

RIP.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Alan Arkin was great in so many films and TV shows. It might be one of his lesser known works, but when news of his passing broke, it was the first thing that came to my mind...the 1978 CBS telefilm The Defection of Simas Kudirka, with Donald Pleasence, Richard Jordan, Shirley Knight et al...based on an incredible (and shameful) true story, and another brilliant Alan Arkin performance as a Soviet seaman who asked for political asylum on a US Coast Guard vessel during a fisheries inspection in US territorial waters...after a standoff, he was forcefully and shamefully returned to the Soviet vessel to be imprisoned! An International incident that soon became big news at the time.

View attachment 189523
View attachment 189525
View attachment 189524
View attachment 189526

RIP.

Haven’t seen this since it premiered but remember loving it. I was 15. Wonder if it’s available to purchase or stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks