What's new

Pre-Order Barbarella (1968) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
It was London where it was pulled rather than the entire UK.
Interesting. But it was England's second most successful movie of the year, a big commercial hit, so go figure. By the way, when the film was re-released in 1977 to cash in on the STAR WARS craze, famed genre illustrators the Hildebrandt Brothers and Boris Vallejo were commissioned to produce new poster paintings. Apparently it was a bake-off, and Boris won. But the Hildebrandt piece is quite wonderful in its own right. Enjoy...

Attachments

• BARBARELLA '77 by the Hildebrandt Brothers.jpg
    BARBARELLA '77 by the Hildebrandt Brothers.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 71

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
They really should have approached Duran Duran for a side interview (maybe it's in a doc?). They're quite culturally savvy (David Lynch directed one of their concert films!) and even had a single called "Electric Barbarella." They also had Milo O'Shea play the villain in their unique semi-movie ARENA directed by Russell Mulcahey, of course.

I'll get this but as much as I love the pop aura of the film, it's a script technical mess. But Fonda is so committed!

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Actually, despite all the fanciful stops along the way, there is a straight line to this narrative that holds everything together: Barbarella is on a mission to find a missing scientist who may be a threat to the "loving universe"... and is, ultimately. It's really no different than 007 being assigned a daunting mission, having encounters with offbeat allies/enemies as he gets deeper into his investigation, before finally facing a major catastrophe that he (or she) somehow manages to thwart. Add Euro-S&M flavoring, fantasy, '60s satire, whimsy, and a lot of free-wheeling sexiness, and you have BARBARELLA. Works well enough for me!

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Had this on the Paramount LaserDisc (with a fabulous cover) and remember feeling how disappointing and dull the film was after the absolutely fantastic opening credits strip-tease and title song. Barbarella is one of Danny Peary's key cult movies, but he also doesn't rate the film highly.

s-l1600.jpg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, Barbarella is one of those films where I enjoyed it at the cinema back in the day, but couldn't sit through it now. There's quite a few of those films, & the list is growing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I like the film (it is what it is) and the blu ray cover art is great. Look forward to reviews from those who have the 4k, as currently undecided whether to upgrade.

I thought the 4K looked pretty good!

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I have the old BR which only has a trailer for extras so may get the Arrow 4K which has alot of extras for those interested in disc extras.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I just got my copy. What pretty, pretty artwork on the new Arrow box!

Looks like I'll be popping an exaltation transference pellet and diving right into some terrible, cinematic brilliance. I mean, where else but in Barbarella do we get a talking mime in Marcel Marceau—mind blown! (See also: Mel Brooks' Silent Movie.) And did you know a good many dramatic situations begin with screaming?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have the old DVD and blu ray, it’s not a movie I have seen that many times, but I am very curious about the new 4K. So I’ve ordered it too.

I like Boris Vallejo’s art as he was an appropriate artist to do that re-release poster, his style is very unique. But I agree that the original McGinnis poster art is very dynamic and should have been used for the new 4K. I like his style too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I got my copies today too. I got one in 4K and the other in standard blu ray. The boxes are thicker then I expected.

IMG_2636.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks