What's new

Advice on Amps / receivers please (1 Viewer)

NZNick

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
We have a Marantz 5.1 amp about 9 years old and it has started playing up
I posted an earlier thread about the loud crackling / popping noise it was making for the first 30-60 seconds when first turned on.

Anyway I have disconnected the TV / DVD from the amp so the amp doesn’t get used.

I spoke to the Marantz agent and they recommended I did a factory reset on the amp – which I did, then In the weekend I tried connecting some different speakers (still good quality Wharfedales) and turned the amp on to FM radio and the same thing happened – so is almost certainly a problem with the amp (I very much doubt speaker wire would be the cause)

So after discussing things with my wife we’ve got 3 options

1. Take the amp to get fixed
The Marantz dealer is not close to where we live and I’d have to take time off work to get there – plus they would charge a fee just to look at it and diagnose the problem and charge for the repair itself and this could be quite expensive – depending on what needs to be done

2. Upgrade and buy a newer amp
We can buy a new Onkyo / Pioneer 5.1 amp for under $500 NZ like this one
https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tv-home-entertainment/home-theatre/onkyo/onkyo-tx-sr373-5-1-channel-av-receiver/338976/ we don’t need 7.2 because we don’t have 7 speakers and have no need for 7 speakers – I never use all the functions on the Marantz amp as it is

3. Buy a 2nd hand amp of similar quality to our Marantz
Like this one on a popular buy / sell site in New Zealand
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1640132713&archive=1 it’s only $185 NZ

do you think the amp is worth repairing, or should we upgrade or replace the amp?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
We have a Marantz 5.1 amp about 9 years old and it has started playing up
I posted an earlier thread about the loud crackling / popping noise it was making for the first 30-60 seconds when first turned on.

Anyway I have disconnected the TV / DVD from the amp so the amp doesn’t get used.

I spoke to the Marantz agent and they recommended I did a factory reset on the amp – which I did, then In the weekend I tried connecting some different speakers (still good quality Wharfedales) and turned the amp on to FM radio and the same thing happened – so is almost certainly a problem with the amp (I very much doubt speaker wire would be the cause)

So after discussing things with my wife we’ve got 3 options

1. Take the amp to get fixed
The Marantz dealer is not close to where we live and I’d have to take time off work to get there – plus they would charge a fee just to look at it and diagnose the problem and charge for the repair itself and this could be quite expensive – depending on what needs to be done

2. Upgrade and buy a newer amp
We can buy a new Onkyo / Pioneer 5.1 amp for under $500 NZ like this one
https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tv-home-entertainment/home-theatre/onkyo/onkyo-tx-sr373-5-1-channel-av-receiver/338976/ we don’t need 7.2 because we don’t have 7 speakers and have no need for 7 speakers – I never use all the functions on the Marantz amp as it is

3. Buy a 2nd hand amp of similar quality to our Marantz
Like this one on a popular buy / sell site in New Zealand
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1640132713&archive=1 it’s only $185 NZ

do you think the amp is worth repairing, or should we upgrade or replace the amp?

If it's only happening for 30 - 60 seconds then I agree the problem is likely in the amp during its warm up cycle. Modern amps have delay circuits to mitigate this issue. Why not just turn the volume down during that time? If you can't deal with it though, then I would probably go for the 2nd hand amp.

NZNick

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
thanks for that - some people said not to turn the amp on as the noise it is making is not good for the amp and could be damaging the amp or the speakers.... so in my opinion turning the amp volume down is not going to fix the problem

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
thanks for that - some people said not to turn the amp on as the noise it is making is not good for the amp and could be damaging the amp or the speakers.... so in my opinion turning the amp volume down is not going to fix the problem

Respectfully, I was't seeking a debate. You asked for advice. My advice is always [at a minimum] worth what you pay for it.

NZNick

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
ok thanks no worries - I did ask for advice and advice was given so fair call

I spoke to brother in law last night who lives in another part of New Zealand and he said try compressed air behind the volume knob / switch as dust and stuff can get in there... but when I said I don't use the volume know just the remote he said it might be a resistor that has burnt out....

I'm going to try the speaker wires and make sure they are connected properly to the amp and speakers, plus read the manual and see if there are any other troubleshooting tips

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, just to clarify and make things easier, the component you are talking about is called a receiver, that's it, or a surround sound receiver, if you want to get more specific. An amp is just one part of a receiver, so calling it an amp can cause confusion.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You really do like to ask for help and then tell people they're wrong, at least a little bit. All receivers have amps in them, but an amp is not a receiver. A receiver with no amps is a preamp. All cars have engines, but an engine is not a car, and calling a car an engine is effectively the same as calling a receiver an amp.

I tried and now I'll be

...MovingAlong...

NZNick

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
sorry - I didn't think I was telling anyone they are wrong... I didn't know the correct terminology for the receiver - I play in a band and use an amp all the time so that's probably why I was calling it an amp - my bad

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Only my opinion, but I wouldn't put any money into a 9 yr old receiver. I also wouldn't buy an entry level receiver to replace it. I see people all the time buying electronic equipment based on having a low price and then not being satisfied with it.

I would wait and save up until I could get a mid level receiver at the very least. I also would buy a receiver just over what you actually need so you have room to expand in the future. I know you said you will not be adding speakers, however, I have heard that numerous times only to have a client ask me later how they can add more speakers, another sub or a second zone, etc.

Clarence2society

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry barbieri
Im new to the scene and ive been researching receivers for 3 weeks. Im building my firat ht system and im bout to post for advice and opinions from ppl in the know. I have narrowed my search down to only a handful of receivers so ill just give you what i have found..

Im goi g with a denon x4400h it has all the features one could want and 9.2 plus2. So 11.2 channels. 3 zones and plenty of inputs. Heos and auro etc etc...

On the low end for the bedroom system im going to go cheaper and pretty much am hunting for a yamaha rxv583 it has dts x and atmos capability so for a small setup in bedroom i think that is fine.
Plus denon has 3 yr warranty on their in command series. Pricy maybe but it has it all and 125 per chan at 8ohms. Perfect for me...
Ok now to go make my post about what speakers iwant before my head explodes from research

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks