What's new

Adire Rava/Rava SE (1 Viewer)

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that I've reached the decision that a sealed sub is the best choice for me. Reading the single review that the Adire site provides I see it mentions that the SE version of the Rava may be a better choice for a system like mine (5 Ascend Acoustics cbm-170's/Onkyo tx-sr700). I question if I need the extra signal processing features of the SE. I am curious if stepping up to the SE price point would bring better alternatives into the picture. $600 is the upper limit to what I am willing to spend for my first sub.

I am aware of the HSU VTF-2 and that it is actually paired with the Ascends as a package. I have a preference for music listening and I feel like a sealed model will be a better choice.

AjayRAV

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jason,

I think it would depend on your bass management choices. If you use the bass management on the Onkyo, you might not need the SE which adds additional filters and maybe an equalizer. On the other hand, if you don't, the SE will be better. You are right in picking the RAVA for music. It is great! And yesterday, I removed my Klipsch front-end and replaced it with Ascends. Wow, what a soundstage! Haven't tested multi-channel yet....

Ajay

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've seen a few posts mentioning the virtues of the crossover built into the SE amp, but mostly for 2 channel systems. It only has 2 channel capability, right? I mean if it were multichannel capable it might possibly prove useful for dvd-a maybe? I suppose I'm not conceptualizing what use the crossover has for a multichannel system, if any.

So, is the extra $150 worth it for the different amp and addition of a basic eq? I do like the idea of the built in eq. I just don't see much info on the Hypex HS200 amp (although I haven't searched this forum yet).

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
I'm reading up on the Hypex HS200 and it appears to be a very high quality amp - maybe justification for the price alone, but now I'm wondering something: Ok, I've got the txsr-700 and a dvd-a player with no bass management. Could I at least use the HS200 to accomplish bass management for the 2 channel high rez tracks? I'm just thinking out loud a little here so excuse me if this is dumb. I suppose doing that would leave a mess of the multichannel tracks - if what I'm thinking about is even a possibility.

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I think the Daeva would be a better choice at $600. Of course, Adire hasn't put up any info on it yet (its a sealed Tempest with the DT300 amp).

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose I'm a bit leery of a 15" sub - for one I bet it's enormous. I really appreciate the advice from this board, but I'm leaning toward advice that was given to me from local electronics retailer manager (Krell included) that spent at least an hour with me just talking about audio equipment. Not trying to sell me on what they had in stock, but telling me stories about going to Mark Levinson's house that had like rooms within rooms. A guy that didn't own a television and just really got into his audio systems - one for two channel and one for multi. His experience was that a sealed sub was the only way to go. Maybe he has just never heard a ported sub done right - but that seems really unlikely. His other advice was that a 10" sub was the best for response. With all of the options at my price point I'm thinking that the Rava may be my best bet. What the hell, if it's not the greatest I won't know the difference and everything from here may be an improvement.

I am really curious if the HS200 amp would make me happier or if the other amp would control the sub better. I do like the ability to have the built in eq boost to tweak with. Not too sure if it's worth the premium.

AjayRAV

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Here is what you can do....Order a RAVA and see if you like it. If it doesn't sound right after calibrating and CAREFUL placement, send it back for the SE (30-day return. Subwoofer, and speaker, opinions are very subjective and it has to sound right to you! I'm with you on liking a sealed sub, however, for HT it does lack some of the slam a ported sub provides. For music though, sealed rules!

Ajay

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

If you are using your Onkyo receiver, not sure what the SE would bring to the table. The big selling point of the SE is that it allows you to set it up whereby you use its Linkwitz-Riley crossover to determine what signal from your source goes to your speakers and which goes to the subwoofer. However if you are passing everything through your receiver before it reaches your speakers and sub, you won't have the opportunity to utilize this function as your receiver already determines what signals get filtered to the speakers and which get sent to the sub.

Thus, the only thing the SE really gives you in your setup is the reputedly better amp (I say reputedly because I haven't heard the SE version of the Rava vs the standard version). Given the price premium, I think you should just go with the standard Rava.

By the way, I have an Ascend Acoustics (CMT-340c center, 4x CBM-170s) and Adire Rava setup and absolutely love it for both music and HT. Definitely one of the best options at this price point and a very good setup regardless of price. I think you will be very happy with your setup!

Victor

AjayRAV

Stunt Coordinator
Victor,

Just curious what your Xover and levels are for your front 3 channels and sub are......Just replaced my front 3 with the same as you (+ RAVA in corner) and am using my old Klipsches for rears. Haven't played much with it yet due to time constraints...

Thanks,
Ajay

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Ajay,

Currently, my xover is set at 80Hz. My dB levels for my front 3 are 0dB for my CBM-170 L/R and -3dB for the CMT-340c center because of the increased efficiency of that unit. My Rava is set at +5dB because I like to run it a little "hot."

Victor

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Victor and AjayRAV. I'm begining to think the regular Rava will be enough. I've found a few threads on the subject on other boards. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=170910 and there was a thread on this board dealing with it as well. I read some flattering info on that HS200 and it was tempting me to step up.

Now that I've read some other boards looking for info on the amps, I'm getting a little skittish on the sealed decision just before I thought I was ready to pull the trigger. Thanks again for your answers to my questions. I think I've got to examine the whole thing a little more before I decide.

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I finally did put in the order for the Rava. Considering the need for a meter and disc to calibrate with the overall cost made some impact on the decision. Music is my main thing anyway - so I think I will be very happy.

Whew, that was tough. I know a whole lot more about sub-woofers than when I started the final selection, but now I realize just how little I know. Should I have asked about "over stuffing" the box as an option or would that decrease output more than the benefit.... Will I need a BFD to get this thing flat (will I be able to figure a BFD out)? I suppose if it were a simple hobby there wouldn't be a need for all of these forums ;)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Dan Wiggins really knows his stuff. I wouldn't bother second-guessing his decisions as far as how much to stuff the Rava. And I wouldn't even think about the BFD until you've run the sub for a few weeks, calibrated and experimented with positioning. You may not need to spend the extra $100-$150. And I hear some people actually prefer the natural "house sound" to the critically flat EQ'd sound, claiming that the house curve just had more "life" to it.

The neat thing about the Rava is that you're not paying a whole lot more than you would for just the woofer and amp. If you want, you can scavenge those off it and use them to build a vented Shiva sub. A cheap way to experiment/upgrade!

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
I got my sub yesterday. I am very pleased. I can't wait for my Avia disc to get here so that I can really dial it in. Thank God I finally went out and bought a meter - my surrounds were WAY too loud. I've got the sub set to 85db with the fronts and surrounds at 82db.

So far I've listened to a few favorites: Diana Krall-Live in Paris, Norah Jones-Live in New Orleans, and my Fiona Apple cd's. The difference is very subtle, but distinct. I love the way the stand-up bass sounds now....it's just amazing. This is the first time I've heard some of my favorite music with an accurate full range system. The Rava seems to integrate so well - I can't imagine what the Avia disc will do to improve upon it.

Listening to Sarah Mchlachlan's Surfacing surprised me a little, "I Love You" sounds like some really deep bass, but it was actually difficult for me to distinguish between having the sub on and just having the CBM-170's playing full range. It makes me wonder what you guys with this same setup (CBM-170's and Rava) are using as a crossover point? I'm at 80Hz right now - the Ascends sound really good playing "I Love You"...which must be mostly above 80Hz. My only other choices are 100Hz and 120Hz.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Jason,

Glad you are happy. Would love to hear the Rava.

My CBM-170's are crossed at 80hz and CMT-340's at 60hz with my HK525 and VTF-3

AjayRAV

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Curtis,

You are welcome to come check out my RAVA anytime you drive up to the Bay Area.....

Ajay

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Thanks Ajay,

I graduated from Cal State Hayward in '87. I still have good friends up there that I should visit.

So I may just show up one day!

Seriously though, I am going to get a chance to hear an SVS soon, and would love to hear an Adire....just like listening to speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks