What's new

Adding more SVS, need opinions (1 Viewer)

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, my brother and I recently picked up a CS Ultra with the Samson Amp package. After a few technical difficulties (ok, user error) everything is kicking ass!!! The Ultra has been added to the master bedroom system permanently.

Now for the new stuff, the downstairs family room is big. It's open to the kitchen (think open floorplan with an island countertop). The one CS ultra did not give us enough to get what we wanted. We are looking for a package that will give us clean, thumping, club-style bass while still being detailed enough for HT use.

We are considering a few different options (all SVS).

#1 - Get the Dual Ultra package with an equalizer so we can accentuate the "punch" frequencies you get at a club or concert when holding parties.

#2 - Get the Dual SS package with an equalizer.
How do the SS and Ultra compare in sound and output capabilities?

#3 - Get the PB-2 Ultra.
How do the boxes sound compared to the cylinders?

#4 - Get the B4-Plus system.

I am looking for opinions here so feel free to add yours to the mix. Also, if anyone in SoCal has a dual ultra or PB-2 (or better) setup I would love a chance to check them out.

Thanks,
Tom

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

The 25 Hz tuned PB2 boxes are perfect for high output in large rooms and pull double duty HT and music exceptionally well.

As the ultimate performane value - PB2-Plus if the black polymer textured finish fits in your decor.

The PB2-Ultra is a nice step up in performance, SQ, features, and finish - but the price is 2X the PB2+.

Craig Chase recently got a B4+; solicit his opinions on that front.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
IMHO If one CS Ultra did not give you "enough" you are a big time candidate for the B4.

I am not sure what "enough" means, though.
Did you bottom it before you acheived the SPL you wanted?

Or are we talking about its "sound". If it's SPL a PB2 or dual Ultra's will give you 6 dB more. A B4 even more than that. But if it is the "sound" you are not happy with I would be looking at the room, location of the sub, or an equalizer, as SVS subs sound very similar.

Good luck.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
This looks like fun... What is the total room size (kitchen and family room) ? Also - Do you want a particular look ? (ie... wood finishes/plain black)

Ned

Supporting Actor
I'd say get the EQ first and try boosting the 40-100hz range. You said you wanted more "thumping, club style bass" and a single Ultra should be able to do 115db+ above 30hz. The EQ is very useful regardless of which sub you ultimately decide on. It's also cheap and may give you everything you're after.

Also checkout my thread about measuring in-room sub response. You may have some nulls that reduce the "impact" in some frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks