What's new

Adam West RIP (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very sad to hear this. I loved Adam West. RIP.

And he was still my favorite Batman. I know there are more serious versions of the character, but West really nailed it. He played a guy who wanted justice, but also wanted a just society, so he treated law-abiding people with respect. A truly decent hero, and nothing like the very violent vigilante that followed.

Last edited:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Wow!
Really sorry to read this!

He'll always be "the campy Batman" to me. His "Return of the Caped Crusaders" animated flick -- released just last year -- actually turned out to be more entertaining than "The Killing Joke" movie.

"Quickly, Robin: To the crosswalk!"

RIP Bruce

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Some assorted pictures of Adam's shows (these captured from DVD releases of those series):

--First, his title credit from his most famous role, 60s ABC Batman (captured from WB all-in-one DVD of that series)

--Second, Adam alongside his co-star Burt Ward in a general scene from that series (also from that WB release)

--Third, Adam as David Stockwood (alongside Robert Wagner) in the Hart to Hart episode "Love Game" (OAD Nov. 8, 1983 on ABC; captured from Shout! final-season DVD of that ABC series)

--Finally, his closing credit card from that episode (also captured from that release)

adamwestbatmantitlecredit.jpg
batmanatomicbatteries.jpg
adamwestharttohart1.jpg
adamwestharttohart2.jpg

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Sorry to read about this. Adam West has been a favorite of mine since childhood.

His Batman series worked on multiple levels - crime-fighting adventure you could take seriously as a kid; hilarious send-up you could enjoy in a new way as you got older. And for my money, he's remained the only onscreen Batman worth watching, as every actor who's played the character since West has been part of the "let's make Batman as dark and psychotic as the villains" style that came to dominate the comics and zapped the fun and heroic qualities out of the character. I'm glad that, after years of everyone thinking the legal issues were too tangled, the classic 60s series was finally released onto disc a couple of years ago.

I've also enjoyed his TV guest appearances on such shows as Bewitched, Alice, and the previously mentioned Hart to Hart, as well as some of his films.

Finally, I really appreciate his ability to poke fun at himself. He was great as the host of one of the annual MST3K Turkey Day marathons during the Comedy Central era. (His 80s movie Zombie Nightmare was used for riffing during a Season 6 episode.)

R.I.P., Adam. Thanks for being a superhero a kid could be impressed by, and a fun and funny actor an adult could be entertained by.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
In addition to playing Batman in the live-action 60's series, but he also voiced him in 2 seasons of the Superfriends cartoon series, which I remember fondly back in the 80's. Also liked him as Mayor West in Family Guy.

Rest In Peace, Adam West!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I was a five year old completely caught up in the world of Batmania in 1966. As my dad said in an audio recording that year, "Bobby eats, sleeps and drinks Batman." So true.

When I moved to LA in 1984, I got in touch with Adam and offered to help find copies of his earlier TV appearances for him. I found the man to be warm, charming, witty and loads of fun. His amazingly dry sense of humor kept you on your toes, and laughing. Always laughing.

We drifted out of touch over the years and I didn't see him for a decade. We had a nice reunion at the TCM festival in Hollywood last year. He hadn't changed a bit and we shared a nice moment together with some fond recollections - and laughter. Always laughter.

It's a sad day to lose a childhood hero. I'll never forget Adam and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.

Rest in peace, my friend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks