What's new

RIP: Regis Philbin (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just saw on CNN that Regis Philbin passed away at the age of 88 (about a month shy of his 89th birthday.) Always enjoyed his appearances on David Letterman. Condolences to the family and friends. RIP Mr. Philbin

- Walter.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Outside of a few clips, I didn’t watch his daytime talk show. However, I can say that he was really good as a game show host. He was wonderful as the original host of the US version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and later on as the host of Million Dollar Password. As a Password fan, that most recent incarnation wasn’t a personal favorite, but his hosting was one of the positive elements. He will be missed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just saw on CNN that Regis Philbin passed away at the age of 88 (about a month shy of his 89th birthday.) Always enjoyed his appearances on David Letterman. Condolences to the family and friends. RIP Mr. Philbin

- Walter.
Sad news indeed, I remember him as the co-host on Joey Bishop's late night show. A lifelong Yankee fan, may he R.I.P.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sad news indeed, I remember him as the co-host on Joey Bishop's late night show. A lifelong Yankee fan, may he R.I.P.
Yes, I'm old enough to remember him on Joey Bishop's talk show. I usually didn't stay up late enough to watch it, but I remember reading about his quitting on-air when some unkind reviews about him on the show were printed. Joey talked him back onto the show a few days later.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Yes, for just over 2 1/2 years in 1967-1969, Regis was the Ed McMahon type side kick to Bishop, on The Joey Bishop Show, a briefly lived ABC late night competitor to The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. It was Regis's first big, national TV exposure.

The story goes that one night Regis unexpectedly delivered a on air resignation to Bishop and the rest of America, or at least the few viewers who were watching the ABC flop. He claimed the ABC executives wanted him out, he felt bad that he let the show and Bishop down, so he was quitting, and walked off the show while it was live on the air (I think it was live, could have been videotaped).

The next few shows, Bishop publicly proclaimed he wanted Regis to come back, and a few nights later Regis made a triumphant return.

Years later, Regis wrote a couple of books that claimed the entire thing was a stunt thought up by Bishop to pump up the dismal ratings. It really didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks