What's new

About to buy this setup - what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Michel-D

Auditioning
After a lot of research, I've pretty much decided on this 5.1 setup: (I should make my purchase next tuesday)

- Paradigm Studio 20 for the L/R fronts
- Paradigm CC-470 center
- Paradigm Atoms for surrounds
- Paradigm PDR-12 subwoofer

- Cambridge Azur 540r (version 2.0 with the OSD)

- Denon DVD-1920

My budget is pretty much pushed to its limits with this so that's why I use the Atoms for surrounds (the ADP series is too expensive for what it is IMO).

Based on my research the Cambridge 540r is what I found the be the best compromise between a 5.1 setup for movies and a very good sounding stereo music receiver (for the budget of course, it is for 50 % music 50 % movies).

So what do you all think, is it a good choice? This is my first ever home theater and sound system worthy of the name (I've never owned a receiver before).

Jacob C

Second Unit
I would really try to go with Studio 20s for the surrounds as well to keep everything in the studio line. Some people will disagree with me here though.

There is no way I would buy that sub though. You can do much better with HSU or SVS for that money.

I like the studios a lot but I am going to go with Ascend Acoustics as soon as I get the money. They are about half the price and many people, myself included, think they are better than the studios. That would leave you more money for the sub. How big is your room btw?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
If you like Paradigms then that is a pretty nice system, but like Jacob said, skip the sub. SVS, AV123, Outlaw, HSU, etc all make better subs for the money.

Michel-D

Auditioning
My room is 11 x 17. I really can't go to the Studio 20 for the surrounds, the budget simply won't allow it. For the sub, I keep reading good things on SVS. Which model do you recommend for about the same price as the Paradigm PDR-12? Are they available in Canada? For SVS I don't know but I think that Outlaw does not sell in Canada.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Atoms will do OK for now, but they will be the weak point. SVS is a great choice, but it may cost you a bit more - their PB-10, their lowest model, will outperform the PDR-12. HSU Research also offers good subs and they do have Canadian distributors.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
If budget is a big issue and you're willing to consider other speakers and are willing to buy net direct the Ascend Acoustics 170s are often compared favorably with the Studio 20s and the 340s with the Studio 60s or 100s.

Edit- I missed the Canada part.

Michel-D

Auditioning
For the sub, is stepping up from the PDR-10 to the PS1000 (in the Paradigm line) would be a good choice? I want to stay with Paradigm because my local store got good prices on them an I prefer not to order online.

Jacob C

Second Unit
IMHO paradigm subs suck. The svs PB-10 is much better. Another possiblility is the HSU VTF2 or STF2. Any of these subs are going to destroy the paradigm. The only paradigm sub that I though was good in their signature series unit but I think that sub is over $3000. You will not believe how much sub you can get for < $500 with SVS and HSU.

read this: http://hsuresearch.com/forum/archive...php/t-354.html

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, you need to get up to the PW-2200 before you get a good sub from Paradigm. I haven't heard the Signature line subs, but the 2200 and Servo15 are good, though you can get the same performance from other manufacturers.

You don't have to order online, I believe there are stores that carry HSU in Canada. You'll have to check with them to see which ones.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, you need to get up to the PW-2200 before you get a good sub from Paradigm. I haven't heard the Signature line subs, but the 2200 and Servo15 are good, though you can get the same performance from other manufacturers.

You don't have to order online, I believe there are stores that carry HSU in Canada. You'll have to check with them to see if there are any in your area.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

You don't have to order online, I believe there are stores that carry HSU in Canada. You'll have to check with them to see if there are any in your area.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks