What's new

A SNEAK PEEK AT LOST HORIZON AND THE BLUE LAGOON (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Ensign Eddie /t/325198/a-sneak-peek-at-lost-horizon-and-the-blue-lagoon/30#post_4003625
Although it's not quite the same, John Williams won his first Oscar for adapting the score for "Fiddler on the Roof", while none of the songs were nominated. Of course, I don't think there were any original songs that were actually eligible.
BTW, how did this thread turn into one about "Xanadu" and Julie Andrews?
There are plenty of those examples where a musical is brought to the screen and wins the adaptation score Oscar (Annie Get Your Gun, Call Me Madam, Oklahoma!, The King and I, Porgy and Bess, West Side Story, The Music Man, My Fair Lady, Camelot, Oliver!, Hello, Dolly!) but since the songs were written for the stage, they aren't eligible.

A better example would be 1940's Tin Pan Alley which won Best Score for Alfred Newman but the one new song in it wasn't nominated.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
MattH. said:
There are plenty of those examples where a musical is brought to the screen and wins the adaptation score Oscar (Annie Get Your Gun, Call Me Madam, Oklahoma!, The King and I, Porgy and Bess, West Side Story, The Music Man, My Fair Lady, Camelot, Oliver!, Hello, Dolly!) but since the songs were written for the stage, they aren't eligible.
A better example would be 1940's Tin Pan Alley which won Best Score for Alfred Newman but the one new song in it wasn't nominated.
So there's two now! Another interesting thing about Millie is how limited Bernstein's reponsibility was: "Original Music by". The title song was by James Van Heusen and Sammy Cahn, Joseph Gershenson was musical supervisor, Andre Previn scored the songs, and there were three orchestrators.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Rob_Ray said:
The songs are the best part of the show because they are all great standards by the likes of Gershwin, Coward and Weill. The problem with Star (apart from the fact that it's overproduced) is that Gertrude Lawrence's story isn't compelling. She was a bitchy self-centered woman who clawed her way to superstardom, and starred in hit shows. The character is not someone you want to spend three hours with and Wise and Chaplin want to dazzle you with incredible production numbers to hide the fact that there is no drama in the story.
I actually find that the story is more about the men in her life than about Lawrence. David Massey as Noel Coward creates one of the screen's great "impersonations" of a real person, and Richard Crenna as her last husband (the one who really figures poor Jenny out!) gives a nobility to the film.
My only complaint is that I wanted it to continue through "The King and I" and to the end.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
rsmithjr said:
I actually find that the story is more about the men in her life than about Lawrence. David Massey as Noel Coward creates one of the screen's great "impersonations" of a real person, and Richard Crenna as her last husband (the one who really figures poor Jenny out!) gives a nobility to the film.
My only complaint is that I wanted it to continue through "The King and I" and to the end.
Daniel Massey played Noel Coward, and I agree about his performance: simply wonderful as it should have been since as Coward's godson he was around him a good portion of his life.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
MattH. said:
Daniel Massey played Noel Coward, and I agree about his performance: simply wonderful as it should have been since as Coward's godson he was around him a good portion of his life.
Daniel Massey played Noel Coward better than Noel Coward played Noel Coward.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks