What's new

A really weird thing happened at Blockbuster last night... (1 Viewer)

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
This is like the subject suggests really odd and strange. Now I was in BB looking for the usual Friday night DVD since they have the biggest selection around the area I live in. Of course they had the P&S versions of The Mummy Returns (with plenty of copies collecting dust) and Cats and Dogs (oddly they were all checked out...oh well). I rented Final Fantasy, One Night At McCools, and The Godfather Pt. II though. But here is the odd thing! I was walking through the regular non-new release section and there was Silence Of The Lambs. They had the MGM P&S version of the film and the great WS Criterion issue of it. This is not the odd thing but I found the current MGM copy under the Criterion case but I found the original Criterion (it was in a bulkier case) and put it in it's right place. So I was ready to go when I saw the MGM version of Silence of the Lambs but it was in WS!!!!!!! Not rental, but for sale... This makes me mad! Why BB would stock a P&S version for rent, while a WS version go on sale confuses me. I hope my local BB dosen't get rid of the Criterion one or this is an outrage
*borrows quote*
No OAR-No Sale

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Maybe you should offer to buy the Criterion disc and say tht nobody wants all that extra stuff and squinty screen anyways
biggrin.gif

------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
This has probably been mentioned, but has anybody noticed that in Blockbuster's DVD commercials, they advertised The Mummy Returns for rent, and showed a clip of it IN WIDESCREEN? That's certainly misleading!
-Tom

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
This has probably been mentioned, but has anybody noticed that in Blockbuster's DVD commercials, they advertised The Mummy Returns for rent, and showed a clip of it IN WIDESCREEN? That's certainly misleading!
I noticed that too. I got quite annoyed. When I wanted to rent it I was told by the clerk that 'Families want full frame' and not widescreen when they rent DVDs. He also told me he prefers full frame DVDs. I just wanted to push the guy through a fine mesh screen....

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Strange how people can just convert to Pan n' Scan lovin right after they have kids and become a family. C'mon Blockbuster, we're all parts of some sort of family, and it doesn't mean we prefer Pan n' Scan. Quit with this generalization BS.
[Edited last by Mark Kalzer on October 27, 2001 at 08:13 PM]

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
The Mummy Returns is a "family" film??!!??
eek.gif

------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
"The Mummy Returns is a "family" film??!!??"
Well is Silence of The Lambs one either?
*makes licking sounds with tonuge*
biggrin.gif

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I noticed the thread weeks ago about BB only having Mummy Returns in P&S. Yesterday was my first trip there since it came out and we only have WS copies at the BB here.
jeremy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just looked at DVDPlanet, and they, too, only have those listed, and even in their Criterion collection list it doesn't mention SOTL. What gives?
DVDPlanet doesn't list an OOP title when it's also out of stock.
Other e-tailers, like Amazon, do continue to list them even when OOP and O/S.
Here's the link to Criterion's page:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=13
MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks