What's new

A question for Mr. Belston or Mr Finn (1 Viewer)

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
We did have it on our original list of licensed titles, and were planning on a DVD, however when we made the decision to concentrate on Blu-ray, FIVE FINGERS was not in suitable enough shape. We returned the licenses on those films that weren't up to Blu-ray speed, so expect to see it (and others that didn't make the cut) appear sometime next year as part of the MOD line.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you Fox for releasing Patton again with some video improvements along with Von Ryan's Express on November 6th.

Crawdaddy

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
MoMA will be premiering two more new prints of Fox pre-Code titles in its upcoming installment of To Save and Project: CALL HER SAVAGE starring Clara Bow and Raoul Walsh's WILD GIRL starring Charles Farrell, Joan Bennett, and Ralph Bellamy. I hope that these, along with the other recent MoMA / Fox restorations, can be released on Blu-ray, if not by Fox than licensed to another label.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I wish we could get more information on the Rodgers and Hammerstein films. Those are jewels in Fox's catalog certainly among the most popular...and deserve to be on Blu-ray. But if they are released in a set, I certainly hope the packaging is better than Forever Marilyn, ugh......Also, Star and Doctor Dolittle would be great!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by RobertSiegel /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/210#post_3976275
I wish we could get more information on the Rodgers and Hammerstein films. Those are jewels in Fox's catalog certainly among the most popular...and deserve to be on Blu-ray. But if they are released in a set, I certainly hope the packaging is better than Forever Marilyn, ugh......Also, Star and Doctor Dolittle would be great!

I could not agree more. The films in the Forever Marilyn set were mostly as good as one could have hoped for (despite a lack of bonus features truly celebrating one of cinema's most celebrated icons), but that packaging was abysmal: cheap, unattractively designed, and completely unworthy of the subject.

L

Larry-Bender

Mr Finn- there is a rumor going around that KHARTOUM might be released possibly by twlight time or Fox in 2013. Any info on this?.Larry Bender [Trajan]

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Larry-Bender said:
Mr Finn- there is a rumor going around that KHARTOUM might be released possibly by twlight time or Fox in 2013. Any info on this?.Larry Bender [Trajan]
Twilight Time posted that the rumor is false. It appears to be strictly a rumor created by the mistaken recollection of one of our posters (here at HTF). It happens.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Larry-Bender said:
Khartoum was on MGMHD recently. Looked very nice in the Cinerama roadshow 2.76:1 aspect ratio. I would like to see Hallelujah Trail released.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've asked this before and I'll ask again because I've never been answered: when is The Sweet Ride coming out on disc? On DVD; on BRD; on DVD-R: on anything?

Are there any plans to revisit "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"? The current transfer is nice, but is missing some key blue and red tinting in several sequences. Also, the soundtrack has some mistakes.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
RolandL said:
Khartoum was on MGMHD recently. Looked very nice in the Cinerama roadshow 2.76:1 aspect ratio. I would like to see Hallelujah Trail released.
Roland, the Cinerama roadshow print of Khartoum didn't quite utilize the entire Ultra Panavision frame. The anamorphic image on the middle of the Ultra Panavision negative was unsqueezed in an optical printer with the squeeze being gradually re-introduced toward the edges of the frame. When this special print was projected onto the deeply curved Cinerama screen the picture looked undistorted. When they abandoned the Ultra Panavision process and switched to projecting standard 70mm prints in Cinerama theatres, the results were less than perfect. I remember a woman in the audience during a Cinerama showing of Grand Prix remarking on how fat Eva Marie Saint suddenly looked when she walked to left side of the screen.
The final version of Cinerama was simply Todd-AO replaced by a Cinerama logo: same big curved screen (no longer a louvered surface), projected via standard non-anamorphic 70mm prints with 6 magnetic soundtracks. So Mike Todd was right after all: he'd created single-lens Cinerama and it "came out of one hole" as he wanted. But didn't live to see it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Just wanted to take a moment to thank Mr. Finn and the group at Fox for these wonderful editions of Hoffa and War of the Roses.
Just got my copies today and just the packaging design and the generous booklets make these feel worthy of being Criterion titles. I'm sure the new extras and the HD transfers will be equally impressive.
Thanks again :)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jon Lidolt said:
Roland, the Cinerama roadshow print of Khartoum didn't quite utilize the entire Ultra Panavision frame.
The 70mm frame is the same size for Ultra Panavision, Todd-AO, Super Panavision, etc. Khartoum did fill the entire frame.
"The anamorphic image on the middle of the Ultra Panavision negative was unsqueezed in an optical printer with the squeeze being gradually re-introduced toward the edges of the frame. When this special print was projected onto the deeply curved Cinerama screen the picture looked undistorted. "
That's what called a "rectified" print for deeply curved screens. It was done on a number of 70mm prints, anamorphic and spherical.
"When they abandoned the Ultra Panavision process and switched to projecting standard 70mm prints in Cinerama theatres, the results were less than perfect."
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, released in 1963, was the first Ultra Panavision film to be promoted as being "In CINERAMA". The next 70mm Cinerama film title released in 1964 was Circus World which was in standard or flat 70mm. Ultra Panavision and flat 70mm films were released "In CINERAMA" from 1963 through 1966 with Khartoum the last in Ultra Panavision.
"I remember a woman in the audience during a Cinerama showing of Grand Prix remarking on how fat Eva Marie Saint suddenly looked when she walked to left side of the screen. "
That's what I see when my relatives buy 16 by 9 HD TV's but refuse to pay the extra money for high def channels. They stretch the 1.33:1 image to fit their 1.77:1 screen and tell me it looks fine.
"The final version of Cinerama was simply Todd-AO replaced by a Cinerama logo: same big curved screen (no longer a louvered surface), projected via standard non-anamorphic 70mm prints with 6 magnetic soundtracks. So Mike Todd was right after all: he'd created single-lens Cinerama and it "came out of one hole" as he wanted. But didn't live to see it"
Yeah, but he wanted Todd-AO to be filmed with a 128 degrees wide lens that would almost covered Cinerama's 146 degrees but, it was rarely used.
My father worked at American Optical (the AO in Todd-AO) in Southbridge, MA - not on the lenses though. We lived in Southbridge till 1960.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks