a question about surge protectors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Michaw, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

I am running a good deal of equipment on a bargain power bar. I have recently purchased the Monster HTS-1000 to use as a filter and surge protector. To be quite honest, I am not sure I can see any improvement in sound or picture.

My sources are:

Toshiba 42H81

Integra 7.1

PSB Image 4Ts (front...connected via bi-wired Straightwire Sextet)

PSB Image 8C (center)

PSB Image 1B (rear)

JVC XV-D721BK Progressive DVD (connected through Mogami component)

NAD 723 CDP (connected using Tara Labs Prism 55s)

JVC S-VHS ET (connected manufacturers S-cable)

My real question is: will dumping the Monster HTS-1000 and going to a cheaper (not cheap) surge protector adversely affect the sound or picture?

My little power bar does nothing other than give me outlets. I feel like I need some protection, but I paid $230 Cdn. for this, and I can't see any improvement. I could get a real surge protector for $70 Cdn, and if I won't see a decline in performance, I would rather go that way...considering the HTS-1000 has done nothing positive that I can see.

Thanks.

2. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

I've been doing quite a bit of research on these babies lately and it's a confusing marketplace at best. Many people will tell you that power conditioning / surge protection is snake oil, others swear by it. From the way it sounds you haven't seen any benefit from your $230CN purchase so can you get away cheaper - right? Sure you can. The Monster and pretty much everything you're looking at in this price point is going to all use MOV's (metal oxide varistors I believe) to protect against the surges and each time they do they die a little bit - until they are used up. However, you'll never know when they are dead. Does the Monster use better/bigger/more MOVs? Maybe - but in the end they are still MOVs. So if you went with a reputable name (tripp-lite, panamax, monster) for an outlet strip you'll be getting basically the same protection. If you go with a Tripp-lite isobar it isolates the grounds so there is reduced cross "talk" between plugged in components - which I don't know if the Monster does or not. You can pick up a tripplite for like $60 US ( http://www.nextag.com/Tripp_Lite_ISO...zzmain z2-htm )
    However, if you want full time real surge protection that also filters and does NOT use MOVs or anything sacrificial then try here - but they are more expensive. http://www.pricewheeler.com/
    Good luck. Remember - a little knowledge is a dangerous (and expensive [​IMG] thing)

3. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

4. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

Scott -

This did not help me at all. In fact, in confused me more than anything. I see what it was saying in reference to the 3500 vs. the Power Plant, but where does that leave the "regular" surge protector in comparison to the HTS-1000?

Brian -

Thanks for the info. What I would like to know (if you or anyone else has this knowledge), would a cheaper surge protector have negative effects on the system? The link that Scott sent me talked about how some line conditioners introduce harmonics (a bad thing). Does the HTS-100? Maybe, but I am not sure...and I haven't noticed worse sound or image. But would this cheaper surge protector introduce worse harmonics or noise? I am not looking for a definitive fact, just some guidance before I go out and buy 10 different protectors looking for the most transparent one.

Thanks.