What's new

a question about surge protectors (1 Viewer)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
I am running a good deal of equipment on a bargain power bar. I have recently purchased the Monster HTS-1000 to use as a filter and surge protector. To be quite honest, I am not sure I can see any improvement in sound or picture.

My sources are:

Toshiba 42H81

Integra 7.1

PSB Image 4Ts (front...connected via bi-wired Straightwire Sextet)

PSB Image 8C (center)

PSB Image 1B (rear)

JVC XV-D721BK Progressive DVD (connected through Mogami component)

NAD 723 CDP (connected using Tara Labs Prism 55s)

JVC S-VHS ET (connected manufacturers S-cable)

My real question is: will dumping the Monster HTS-1000 and going to a cheaper (not cheap) surge protector adversely affect the sound or picture?

My little power bar does nothing other than give me outlets. I feel like I need some protection, but I paid $230 Cdn. for this, and I can't see any improvement. I could get a real surge protector for $70 Cdn, and if I won't see a decline in performance, I would rather go that way...considering the HTS-1000 has done nothing positive that I can see.

Thanks.

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I've been doing quite a bit of research on these babies lately and it's a confusing marketplace at best. Many people will tell you that power conditioning / surge protection is snake oil, others swear by it. From the way it sounds you haven't seen any benefit from your $230CN purchase so can you get away cheaper - right? Sure you can. The Monster and pretty much everything you're looking at in this price point is going to all use MOV's (metal oxide varistors I believe) to protect against the surges and each time they do they die a little bit - until they are used up. However, you'll never know when they are dead. Does the Monster use better/bigger/more MOVs? Maybe - but in the end they are still MOVs. So if you went with a reputable name (tripp-lite, panamax, monster) for an outlet strip you'll be getting basically the same protection. If you go with a Tripp-lite isobar it isolates the grounds so there is reduced cross "talk" between plugged in components - which I don't know if the Monster does or not. You can pick up a tripplite for like $60 US ( Link Removed )
However, if you want full time real surge protection that also filters and does NOT use MOVs or anything sacrificial then try here - but they are more expensive. Link Removed
Good luck. Remember - a little knowledge is a dangerous (and expensive ;) thing)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
Scott -

This did not help me at all. In fact, in confused me more than anything. I see what it was saying in reference to the 3500 vs. the Power Plant, but where does that leave the "regular" surge protector in comparison to the HTS-1000?

Brian -

Thanks for the info. What I would like to know (if you or anyone else has this knowledge), would a cheaper surge protector have negative effects on the system? The link that Scott sent me talked about how some line conditioners introduce harmonics (a bad thing). Does the HTS-100? Maybe, but I am not sure...and I haven't noticed worse sound or image. But would this cheaper surge protector introduce worse harmonics or noise? I am not looking for a definitive fact, just some guidance before I go out and buy 10 different protectors looking for the most transparent one.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks