What's new

Hey, Quick question about speaker static., need help! (1 Viewer)

CurtisRodomsky

Auditioning
Real Name
Curtis Rodomsky
Hi there, I am having some issues with my surround speakers and my AV receiver.

I have a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver, and 5 surround speakers, one of which is giving me problems.

This is the rear right surround speaker. It constantly has a static sound. Even when muted I can still hear the static. Now this is where I get confused, no matter what speaker wire I plug into the the Surr R plugs I still hear static in the speaker. Also if I take that surr R speaker and plug it somewhere else, like the surr L I get no static. So I assume that it isn't the speaker. Also I have plugged every speaker I own into the surr R and they all show static.

I have tried 2 types of speaker wire as well, and tried many different HDMI cables, as well as changing the AV source, I get static on everything from HDMI 1-4, AV 1-6, and even radio. I have even tried moving all the wires, so they do not cross power wires, i've tried different surge protectors as well as different wall outlets. Basically I have tried everything.

Since I could not find a problem I took it in to a local electronics repair shop and when it was returned they said they repaired the main PCB board (not even sure what that is). I plugged it back in, and what do you know, still static. So i took it back, then today I went in to the repair shop, they had it all hooked up and it sounded good, i did not notice any static there, so I took it back home, hooked it up and still have static.

So basically, sorry for the long read, but if anyone has any tips or hints that would be awesome! I can live with the static, but I would rather it goes away. It just annoys me when I sit near the surr R speaker, haha. Also it just seems weird if all of my wires and all of my speakers are faulty since they all show the problem when plugged into surr R, but who knows. And apparently the repair shop couldn't find any problems

PS. I am using, to my knowledge good wires, pretty thick gauge, I do not see any bare wire etc. etc...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hmm, any chance there are some electrical wires inside the wall near that speaker? Have you tried physically holding the speaker and moving away from it's typical location to find out at what point the static "ends"?

You've done all the typical troubleshooting that pretty much eliminates the source, wiring, and speaker. The only thing left that comes to mind is the physical location of the speaker.

What about other wireless devices/electronics in the area? Though I'm not sure why it would affect just one speaker and not the others, it could also contribute to the presence of some sort of "EM node" for lack of a better term.

Odd... very odd. Hope you're able to figure it out.

CurtisRodomsky

Auditioning
Real Name
Curtis Rodomsky
Not sure about wiring in the wall, and I have moved the speaker and it still has static. It has been doing this in my old apartment as well a the house I am in now, so yeah, it is very odd.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, if you just connect "any old wire" and put the speaker "any old place"...you still have static?
If so, did you buy the 765 from an authorized source? It might still be under warranty.

CurtisRodomsky

Auditioning
Real Name
Curtis Rodomsky
Yeah it was bought from an authorized source. But it is now out of warranty. I'm going to pick up some totally new speaker wire tomorrow, just to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buda
Recent bookmarks