What's new

New here asistance request (1 Viewer)

jrwolfman1

Auditioning
Real Name
JR
So I am new to the site and to home theaters. Please dont laugh at my question and the budget amount of my current configuration. Just cant afford much on a Retired Army pay.

My questions is in regards to ground loops (I have read pages of threads and simply cannot find the answer)

Here's my setup;

Sony 5.1 Surround Sound System with DVD

Infocus LP70 Projector

Wii

Arista Video Selector 56-4575

Here's the story

We just purchased our house and my wife has given me direct access to what I will call my mans cave/ home theater.

I started off with just the Surround sound and the projector and had no problems. When I added the Wii I needed to add the Video Switch and a surge protector. At the same time I added the Wii my projector was accidentally dropped and I got a crack on one rear corner of the plastic caseing. After adding the Wii I developed the horizontal scrolling lines on my screen (screen is 1 wall about 10X12). I figured it was due to dropping the projector.

Yestreday I figured I would jump in head first on the rolling screen issue and discovered "Ground Loop" through this forum and many others. After reading the articles I have came to the conclussion that the Video Switch is what is creating the proble. When nothing is connected to the switch everything woks without any horizontal roll.

My question;

Is there a switch within my budget $200 or less that is worthy enough to eliminate my ground loop problem?

Yesterday I read articles about a great switch with great reviews however all of the articles were prior to 2009 and I cannot find the switch being highly spoke of anywhere. Everyone in old threads was reffering to a Joytech Switch.

What are your recommendations? I have tested my outlets with a ground tester and they all pass.

I am hoping the switch will also have a coax (cable in) connector so I can watch TV on the projector.

TIA

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What type of video do you want to switch? HDMI, DVI, component, S-video or composite? That makes a big difference. Also, have you tried a ground lift adapter? That's one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters you can find in the hardware section of Wal-Mart for under $1.

Originally Posted by jrwolfman1
I am hoping the switch will also have a coax (cable in) connector so I can watch TV on the projector.  
You won't find one. You need a tuner. What kind you ask? That depends on what you want to tune in. Cable? QAM for unscrambled digital cable. NTSC from unscrambled analog cable. ATSC for over-the-air signals. Scrambled signals require a subscription for decoding and there are options available from your cable company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks