What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A PEEK AT DOCTOR DOLITTLE (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well La La Land have five catalogue soundtrack releases set for Black Friday (still a mystery as to what they are). Three of them are two CD sets, two sets are limited to 5000 copies & one is 3000 copies, so it could be one of those (if it is, I'd think it's the 3000 set).

Ha, I was right (for once), next Tuesday La-La Land are releasing a two CD set restored & re-mastered, it's no good me putting a link as it's not up on their site yet, but here's a track list:

23915601_10156097016863755_5311100171009918973_n.jpg

DOCTOR DOLITTLE: 50th ANNIVERSARY EXPANDED SOUNDTRACK: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
LLLCD 1450
Music & Lyrics by Leslie Bricusse / Conducted by Lionel Newman
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

La-La Land Records, 20th Century Fox, Fox Music and Universal Music Special Markets present DOCTOR DOLITTLE: 50th ANNIVERSARY EXPANDED SOUNDTRACK: LIMITED EDITION, a special 2-CD set featuring a newly restored and remastered presentation of Leslie Bricusse’s (SCROOGE, WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY) original motion picture score and songs from the 1967 feature film musical DOCTOR DOLITTLE, directed by Richard Fleischer and starring Rex Harrison, Samantha Eggar and Anthony Newley. Songwriter/lyricist Bricusse unleashes a musical bounty to complement this charming incarnation of the classic Hugh Lofting titular character and his magic gift of gab with the animals. Bricusse’s iconic work here would generate such famous songs as “I’ve Never Seen Anything Like It,” “Fabulous Places” and the Oscar-Winning “Talk To The Animals.”

This deluxe 2-CD anniversary edition, meticulously produced, restored, mixed and mastered by Mike Matessino, from studio vault elements, in consultation with the composer, showcases a stunningly full ACT I and ACT II score presentation greatly expanded beyond the original Gold-selling 1967 album. A wealth of previously unreleased material includes the lush underscore arranged by Alexander Courage and Lionel Newman, with the presentation further enhanced by alternates and never-before-heard demo recordings by the legendary Rex Harrison. It’s the long-awaited, definitive assembly of a classic musical score that has delighted fans of all ages for half a century. Matessino’s exclusive, in-depth notes, with recollections from the composer, takes you behind the scenes of Dolittle’s wonderful musical world and Jim Titus’ art design herds the packaging together in classy fashion. This is a limited edition release of 3000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1
SCORE PRESENTATION 1:53:04
ACT 1
1 Overture (Film Version) 2:52
2 Prologue 2:04
3 Main Title / Puddleby-on-the-Marsh 2:37
4 My Friend the Doctor 3:32
5 Dolittle’s Study / Frying Sausages 1:36
6 The Vegetarian 4:38
7 Retrospect / Hat and Mouse 2:20
8 Talk to the Animals 2:52
9 Talk to the Animals – Part 2 (Montage) 2:48
10 Time to Retire / Fox and Hounds 1:57
11 At the Crossroads (Extended Version) 4:02
12 The Pushmi-Pullyu / Blossom’s Circus 1:50
13 I’ve Never Seen Anything Like It (Extended Version) 7:54
14 Beautiful Things (Extended Version) 5:23
15 Sophie the Seal’s Journey 6:22
16 When I Look in Your Eyes (Film Version) 2:21
17 Dolittle’s Arrest / A Concerned Emma 1:03
18 Like Animals (Film Version) 4:18
19 Intermission :32
ACT II
20 Entr’acte / On the Bridge 2:22
21 After Today (Extended Version) 3:45
22 Dolittle’s Escape 2:20
23 The Stowaway 1:24
24 Fabulous Places 3:43
25 Emma at Work / Dart Game 2:26
26 The Porpoise / Sea Star Island 1:38
DISC 1 Total Time: 78:39

DISC 2
ACT II cont’d
1 Where Are the Words (Extended Version) 4:06
2 I Think I Like You (Extended Version) 2:54
3 Restless Natives 1:28
4 Frosty Village 2:54
5 The Giant Whale 5:55
6 Doctor Dolittle (Extended Version) 3:40
7 The Great Pink Sea Snail 1:36
8 Two Weeks From Tuesday / A Tearful Goodbye 2:16
9 A Fond Farewell 3:12
10 Something in Your Smile 2:24
11 My Friend the Doctor – Finale (Extended Version) 1:24
12 End Cast / Exit Music 2:38
ADDITIONAL MUSIC
13 Overture (Alternate) 2:57
14 Main Title / Puddleby-on-
the-Marsh (Alternate) 3:49
15 I’ve Never Seen Anything Like It (Album Track) 2:30
16 Beautiful Things (Film Version) 3:01
17 When I Look in Your Eyes (Album Track) 1:51
18 The Stowaway (Film Version) 1:26
19 Dart Game (Alternate) :33
20 Sea Star Island (Alternate) :59
21 Doctor Dolittle (Album Track) 2:32
DEMOS AND PRE-RECORDINGS 21:44
22 At the Crossroads (Alternate With Dialogue Intro) 5:08
23 The Vegetarian (Demo) 4:15
24 Talk to the Animals (Rehearsal) 3:16
25 Like Animals (Rehearsal) 4:07
26 The Vegetarian (Rehearsal) 4:32
27 I Don’t Want to Be a King! (Unused Song Demo) 2:26
DISC 2 Total Time: 77:49

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 2:36:28
transparent.gif

transparent.gif

transparent.gif

John Skoda

Second Unit
It seems to me I remember hearing around the time Polygram issued the CD of the original album that there were physical problems with the session tapes from DOLITTLE, STAR!, and DOLLY that prevented the release of anything but the album masters.

Now that Mike has restored the DOLITTLE masters, let's hope the other two come next!

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
It seems to me I remember hearing around the time Polygram issued the CD of the original album that there were physical problems with the session tapes from DOLITTLE, STAR!, and DOLLY that prevented the release of anything but the album masters.

Now that Mike has restored the DOLITTLE masters, let's hope the other two come next!

No, it was simply that Polygram refused to pay for a full-bore restoration of DD - they only wanted the album, likewise with HELLO DOLLY. STAR! is a little different - we will undertake the restoration if Fox does indeed do the new transfer next year.

DeeF

Screenwriter
MatthewA says:

"The posters show Doctor Dolittle riding a giraffe, but the finished film doesn't. Perhaps some kids 50 years ago felt gypped for that reason?"

I guess you haven't watched the film, since there is a shot of Dolittle riding a giraffe. There are actually two in a row.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
MatthewA says:

"The posters show Doctor Dolittle riding a giraffe, but the finished film doesn't. Perhaps some kids 50 years ago felt gypped for that reason?"

I guess you haven't watched the film, since there is a shot of Dolittle riding a giraffe. There are actually two in a row.
The giraffe riding sequence was from the original prologue, which was cut. As the image of Dolittle riding the giraffe was part of the marketing of the film, footage from the cut prologue was integrated into a later part of the film. The music for the cut prologue can be heard on the La-La Land album.

Neil

breeezer

Agent
Real Name
Bryce
[QUOTE="The music for the cut prologue can be heard on the La-La Land album.

Neil[/QUOTE]

What? Where?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks