What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Eureka!) -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'd bet that most people who consider themselves cinephiles have probably never actually sat through Robert Wiene's 1920 The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari,
and that's a pity as it's the progenitor of so much of later cinema.

Eureka!, the UK entity that's released so many interesting films is behind this 4k example of early cinema, and it's a treasure trove of wonderful extras for those studying the era.

Comparing it to the Kino Blu-ray release comes down to which score one might prefer, as there are three. One on Kino, and two different ones on the Eureka! 4k. Personally, I'm preferring what I'm hearing on Eureka!

While both are derived from the same restoration, each has different extras. And both have more than enough to give those who desire to learn enough to get them digging deeper.

But the big question for me, especially as we've been discussing how and if The Johnstown Flood might work in 4k over Blu-ray, is one of practicality.

Aside from better compression in the Eureka!, there really is very little difference between the two - even acknowledging the fact that aside of the first reel, the majority of Caligari is derived from 1919 OCN stock.

Aside from the first reel, the film is very fine-grained, with wonderful detail and a superb gray scale, but you get that via the Blu-ray.

If one desires a copy of the film, and has nothing, I'd go for the 4k, but if you already have the Kino, or simply want ease of ordering here in the Colonies, the Kino should suffice.

That noted the Eureka! arrives in a beautiful hard paper box and a 100 page perfect bound softcover book.

Worth the 30 Pounds UK?

Yes.

Image - 4.25

Audio – N/A (Multiple scores)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you're a scholar of early horror or German cinema, and desire the additional extras

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If one desires a copy of the film, and has nothing, I'd go for the 4k, but if you already have the Kino, or simply want ease of ordering here in the Colonies, the Kino should suffice.

Well, actually...I have the Kino Blu-ray and I have the Eureka...Blu-ray. I still want their UHD, despite it's using the same 2014 4K restoration as the Blu-ray (both of them).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, actually...I have the Kino Blu-ray and I have the Eureka...Blu-ray. I still want their UHD, despite it's using the same 2014 4K restoration as the Blu-ray (both of them).
If you have three copies of the same restorative effort, you should be able to offset them slightly and get 3D.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Engravings on stone tablets, set up to fall quickly like dominos.

Of course, you had to run along the line while they were falling to be able to see the whole story to the end.

Hence why moviegoers of past ages were in better shape than today's couch potatoes. :laugh:

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
In our dumbed-down age, where the average person would never consider watching a film in black and white, Caligari has become the property of the ever-dwindling class of the culturally-educated and students of fine cinema. So be it! We are not all dead yet.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
And Daguerreotypes.

DG.jpg

Oh. I thought you meant Diana Guerrero types.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
4K/UHD has no region coding. Any 4K disc in the world should be able to play on any 4K player in the world.

UHDs are all region-free. There's no accompanying Blu-ray disc in this edition...Eureka already has a Blu-ray release from the same restoration.
I knew this. Derp. Thanks anyway.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Worth noting that Kino is supposed to put out their 4K edition early next year. I’m waiting for that since I’m curious about the difference, though I expect it’s mostly advantageous to those with larger projection systems.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Worth noting that Kino is supposed to put out their 4K edition early next year. I’m waiting for that since I’m curious about the difference, though I expect it’s mostly advantageous to those with larger projection systems.
Very little difference even in projection. Kino could use better compression, but even that isn‘t problematic from a normal seating distance.

In my view, this is not a film that has a major benefit from 4k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks