What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Eureka!) -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Not that anyone is keeping track of these things, but I believe this would pass the torch from Frankenstein to Cabinet of Dr. Caligari as the oldest film to have a 4K release to the home market. I am certainly not aware of any other silent films having been released in 4K.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not that anyone is keeping track of these things, but I believe this would pass the torch from Frankenstein to Cabinet of Dr. Caligari as the oldest film to have a 4K release to the home market. I am certainly not aware of any other silent films having been released in 4K.
That would seem to be the case. Still not certain as to the proprietary or need of 4k before the ‘70s at the earliest excepting 65, VVLA and TLA.

This based upon modern 4k scans as source.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
In our dumbed-down age, where the average person would never consider watching a film in black and white, Caligari has become the property of the ever-dwindling class of the culturally-educated and students of fine cinema. So be it! We are not all dead yet.

Unless their parents or peers drum into them that black and white was/is inferior to color, they really don't have that issue. I've known and know a ton of children for whom the story, characters and action are what count, and if they have a bias against b&w, it soon dissipates once a (good) film rolls on.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Unless their parents or peers drum into them that black and white was/is inferior to color, they really don't have that issue. I've known and know a ton of children for whom the story, characters and action are what count, and if they have a bias against b&w, it soon dissipates once a (good) film rolls on.
As a child, and I’m referring to 9-12, my only film bias was CineColor,

Knew enough about it to hate it.

Anything else was fine.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That would seem to be the case. Still not certain as to the proprietary or need of 4k before the ‘70s at the earliest excepting 65, VVLA and TLA.

This based upon modern 4k scans as source.
Yes but the WarnerUK version of Citizen Kane 4K offers "lifelike colours" ;).

1670090651101.png

In spotchecking my copy the picture looks superb in glorious black & white and virtually all of the special features are on the 4k disc. The blu-ray is Region ABC as well.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yes but the WarnerUK version of Citizen Kane 4K offers "lifelike colours" ;).

View attachment 165181

In spotchecking my copy the picture looks superb in glorious black & white and virtually all of the special features are on the 4k disc. The blu-ray is Region ABC as well.
...In "Life Like Colors" if you live in a Black and White World...LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks