What's new

A new low in "product placement" (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I want one. At this point, nothing could hurt my appeal. Actually there was this one political girl I met who would probably love that shirt...especially if she's a lesbian like my friend thought she was.:frowning:

Terry St

Second Unit

Although Nintendo didn't get their name in the credits, "The Wizard" stands out in my mind as the most blatant 100 minutes of corporate advertising ever to see a broad theatrical release. Harold and Kumar would have to some pretty blatant whoring to top it!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Brian, look at it this way. When's the last American movie that gave an Asian man a non-martial arts lead? Or an Indian guy a lead for any reason. Minorites that aren't black and (to some degree) hispanic are almost completely ignored and here's a movie that doesn't.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Oh god how could I forget the wizard for cinematic whoring? Mattell advertising the power glove in it, but honestly the main thing people remember from that "film" is Super Mario Bros. 3.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I Am Sam was also pretty shameless with the product placements.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the Wonka brand name continues on candy. Not sure if they still make chocolate bars under that banner, but I know I saw them in Toys R Us stores as recently as the last couple of years...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, there's still lots of Wonka brand candy. We had some Everlasting Gobstoppers in our family store around Easter, and we're now selling Pixy Stix.

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
Are you ready to condemn a film simply for allying itself with a particular corporation? To me, it's all about the execution. If it's a funny/worthy/fill-in-your-word movie, then it's worth it. If not, it isn't.

The BMW series of short films are among the cooler action/spy movies I've seen in the last few years, and they put product placement to shame, since they're basically extended BMW commercials.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

Good point, Dan. It just frustrates me that, when we finally get to see Asians or Indians in feature films we have to see them subjected to tired scenes like those in the trailer in which they "deal" with ignorant white racists - skinheads no less, among others I'm sure - in ways that allow the filmmakers to indulge in the kind of race humour that was perpetuated in white-made "black" sitcoms of the 70s because it, ostensibly, makes the white characters seem inferior, thus making the audience - which will likely be mixed but mostly white based on population demographics - feel all warm and squishy and culturally superior because they would never behave like that.

I guess I'd just like to see better representation of other cultures in mainstream American cinema. Asians and Indians are still most prominently featured in small roles as store-owners, cabbies, scientists. While it's nice to see an Asian and an Indian in a major studio release that doesn't scream "Asian film" or "Indian film" -even if it is a low-brow comedy - I'm just waiting for the day when the public will be able to make popular a regular diet of serious drama, a romantic comedy or a non-martial arts action films that top-line a more ethnically diverse - and therefore representative, North American cast, and not cast someone because they're "that Indian guy."

From the looks of their bios on the official site, both John Cho and Kal Penn - "that Asian guy" and "that Indian guy" as New Line likes to call them - are returning to the supporting/sidekick roles they've been playing up until now. Sigh. Maybe this film will change things, but who knows...

Gregory Vaughan

Stunt Coordinator
I do think Breakfast at Tiffanies is a perfect comparison. Perhaps the perspective is different if you live in a place where you are likely to shop at these places, but for me both Breakfast at Tiffanies and Harold and Kumar go to White Castle invoke the names of companies I've heard of enough to give a feeling to the title, but I've never seen in real life. I suppose if it was Harold and Kumar go to In-N-Out Burger (another regional chain that has taken on pop culture status, but one near me) I might feel different.

In the end though, it's about the movie. Once you see the movie you can tell if it's a clever title for a funny film or just a cheap marketing gimmick.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I am wrong, but I strongly suspect, that when Breakfast at Tiffany's was made they had exactly one store, the one on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. Anyone know for sure?

I also suspect that having a famous film named after them greatly helped in becoming a chain.

Ted

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

POST OF THE YEAR! I can't stop laughing... Just because of this one post I'm going to see this mindless piece of moovee-making.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
White Castle, like Tiffany's, is an example of a business that has reached an icon status in our culture. They've been around for generations and their product is highly recognizable. Using these name in the title makes the concept of the movie easier for the general public to identify with. White Castle's somewhat quirky image is a particularly good fit with the movie's concept. I think the title is far more intriguing than if they had come up with some ficticious name, like "Harold & Kumar go to SuperBurger". It's a bit similar to the way that "Being John Malkovich" was an intriguing title (though I'm not expecting a similar quality movie) in that there was some immediate recognition.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned "The Coca-Cola Kid"

Now, if you want extreme product placement, did anybody catch the God-aweful commercials for that USA Networks TV movie "The Last Ride"? It appeared to be a story about a 60's GTO driving bad-ass and his son. The voiceover went something like "Starring Dennis Hopper, Chris Carmack and the new GTO!"

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Given the ethinicity of the leads (which they went out their way to make us notice in the trailer), could White Castle be some kind of metaphore / double entendre?

Just a thougth.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks