What's new

Return of the Secaucus 7 (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this John Sayles film (his first!) on the local CBS station (good for them!!) and remembered again how I first heard of John Sayles and why I love his films. I hadn't seen it since it opened, and it was just as good as I remembered it.

This is a movie about a group of 60's college/Vista friends who get together every few years and talk, drink, talk, smoke pot, talk, eat, talk, laugh, talk, fight, talk, make love, talk, and savor the good times they had/still have together. Did I mention that they talk a lot? That's a good thing though! You really feel that they really are old friends and you're like one of the women's new boyfriend, the newbie who doesn't know anybody, but who is made to feel welcome.

This is one of those movies where nothing really happens. There's no plot, there's no drama (except for one couple who broke up just before the reunion, but they both still attend), there's no twists, no special effects, no product placements. You're just hanging out for awhile with a group of really nice, decent people, and then everyone goes home.

Some say it's boring. I say that this super low-budget film is worth watching, both to enjoy, and to watch as the first film of one of America's finest filmmakers.

Of course, Hollywood re-made it as The Big Chill a few years later. I happen to like TBC, and it certainly is more accomplished in just about every way (especially the killer soundtrack), but Secausus 7 is the one that started it all, and deserves its place in American film history.

So why isn't it on DVD??? Grrrr.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I concur - RotS7 is a terrific little movie! I'd love to see it on dvd. Since we're on the subject, how about Men With Guns? Where's the dvd for that? :frowning:

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big Sayles fan but have never managed to see this. All of his early films except for the hideous DVD of Brother From Another Planet are missing on DVD. In addition to Men With Guns we're also missing City of Hope

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I am also a big fan of John Sayles, off hand I can't even think of anybody that has the same consistent style, which I consider as very old fashion, no fanfare story telling. Always remind me of when I was very young and listening to old people telling folklores (I grew up in the 50s). I have a taste of the high action, loud and over the top stuff too, but the kind of quiet but wonderful story telling that Sayles does so well is just so rare these days.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Really looking forward to his new film Sunshine State, which I think is getting a June platform release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks