What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ West Side Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Finian's Rainbow wasn't enough ... ;)?
51RQDDQFQ9L.jpg
How about Coppola's other musical disaster, One From the Heart?
Ouch....and ouch.:lol:
Ah, well, I guess these two films come down to personal tastes. Albeit, not seamlessly perfect, I felt that both of these Coppola's films brought forth many great moments of song, imagery and dance. Heck, I even purchased both of these soundtracks in the good old days of vinyl. As for "West Side Story"? Well, I am more than intrigued, as a re-make of a this classic film is beyond my imagination; but then, again, it's Steven Spielberg...whose successful imagination supersedes most of the people upon our planet.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I absolutely love musicals and Fred Astaire but I tried to watch Finian's Rainbow twice and couldn't get past the first 20 min.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I absolutely love musicals and Fred Astaire but I tried to watch Finian's Rainbow twice and couldn't get past the first 20 min.
Well, pop it back in and chapter search to "Look to the Rainbow" and "When the Idle Poor Become the Idle Rich".
With the luck of the blarney, I'll be able to move with as much style and grace as he, when I hit the age of 69.
Gosh, come to think of it, I would wish the same just for today.
Oooops, that's one wish used; two more to go.;)

Last edited:

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane

FR is not your typical musical to be sure, but it remains one of my favorite films. Petula Clark's presence didn't hurt. I paid to see it four weeks in a row when it first hit the theater.

It's rather dated today (in spite of modernizing it a bit from the play), but the songs, the comedy, and acting still hold up just fine. Al Freeman, Jr's bit applying for a position as a butler to the racist senator still brings me to tears.

And for those who have just joined us, none of the cast in FINIAN'S RAINBOW appear in WEST SIDE STORY. Just don't want anyone to get confused.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
So I take it this is going to have the same Spanish-language additions as the last Broadway revival?
I'd be shocked it if did, only because they want to market it to as large an audience as possible and a lot of people might skip seeing it if they don't understand what they're hearing. I'll be impressed and surprised if they do go full-bore with the multilingual dialogue. Maybe a few lines. I could see that happening.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
If this is the song “America” I am surprised it was filmed in daylight. In the play and 1st movie it takes place after the dance at the gym before the Sharks and Jets meet at Doc’s to discuss the terms of the Rumble. I guess they could push back the meeting till the next day.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
If this is the song “America” I am surprised it was filmed in daylight. In the play and 1st movie it takes place after the dance at the gym before the Sharks and Jets meet at Doc’s to discuss the terms of the Rumble. I guess they could push back the meeting till the next day.

Well, it can’t be “America,” as they’ve scrapped the Bernstein-Sondheim score for this version. It’s an entirely new score by John Williams and Tim Rice.

Just kidding.

Last edited:

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
A friend of mine thinks the on set video recording of America is a fake. I disagree. However . I would think though that they would have rules about taking pictures especially on a Spielberg set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks